SL Member

Awesome stuff!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnnyTCblaze
Check this out. It looks like there is another way to fix the dim blue/white console problem. This was on clubsciontc. Heres thie link to the topic, its on pg 12: Courtesy of Viro!

http://clubsciontc.com/modules.php?n...=asc&start=165

Have you seen this engifineer? What are your thoughts on this and do you know where I can get these bridgable jumper cables?
I tried that with the blues, but I could tell a difference in brightness. With that setup the current values are different through the various LEDs, so some appear more bright... maybe I was just being too picky and it seemed noticeable to me ... but I went ahead and balanced them a bit with the resistors... it only takes me about 15 minutes more to do it this way so I dont mind being a bit nit picky there
Old 09-08-2005, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Other solution

Johnny TCblaze.... the way to fix this problem as i posted on clubsciontc.com seems to work fine for white.

I tried with blue and the difference IS noticeable. The way to do it with blue is as enginfineer figured and pulls less current from the board.

Either ways works just fine for white... recommend being really carefull with the LCD, it breaks very easily
Old 09-09-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the resistors, if I wanted to get surface mount to keep an OEM look, what size would they be? Thick or Thin Filmed? Mouser.com has SMD resistors starting at $.08 a piece.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
For the resistors, if I wanted to get surface mount to keep an OEM look, what size would they be? Thick or Thin Filmed? Mouser.com has SMD resistors starting at $.08 a piece.
I believe those would be thin filmed. For the ones you replace with 220 ohm, it will be easy as long as you get the correct size. The ones that connect to nothing but wire will be tough to work with though. for those I reccomend using axial lead, since the leads become your wires. I use no wire for connection to the added resistors. I simply strip the wire and use the insulation to cover the leads, so it comes out neat.

To pick your smt resistors, a good way to double check is measure the ones on the board and then look at the dimensions on the datasheets.

And do listen to viro on the LCD... those are very fragile.. and around 400 -500 bucks seeing as how you have to replace the entire unit if it cracks. And I figured the difference in brightness would be washed out with the whites, so that makes them a little easier to mod. For the ones I am doing for people I still do it the same as the blues since I have it all planned out now and have the resistors bent and ready to go. It only takes me a few more minutes to do it that way and keeps a standard design for all the ones I do. But, if you do your own and use whites it will save you some time to do it the way viro does it, especially if you havent spent endless hours building circuits on perfboards as I have through many projects Believe it or not, I spend as much or more time removing and replacing the LCD, cleaning the board, and testing than I do modding the circuit...... I must be a geek who has spent too much time doing this type of thing
Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I have it all planned out now and have the resistors bent and ready to go.
So would you be willing to sell a 'kit' with all the parts needed(resistors/wire)?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have it all planned out now and have the resistors bent and ready to go.
So would you be willing to sell a 'kit' with all the parts needed(resistors/wire)?
I could do something like that. I would have to make some more up once I get more resistors in the mail, but definitely something I could do.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

engifineer definately let me know on a kit. I am VERY interested. I modify Xbox's so the soldering is second nature to me, but a complete resistor/led pack would be sweet! LMK!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ordering parts this weekend and doing a center console late this coming week, so I will use it as a template to perfect the peices and then let everyone know how much.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Other solution

Originally Posted by viro
Johnny TCblaze.... the way to fix this problem as i posted on clubsciontc.com seems to work fine for white.

I tried with blue and the difference IS noticeable. The way to do it with blue is as enginfineer figured and pulls less current from the board.

Either ways works just fine for white... recommend being really carefull with the LCD, it breaks very easily
Thanks for your input Viro. Did you ever get your new LCD Viro? I'm trying to fix my dim blue LED conversion but don't want to (actually don't know how to) solder on resisters and cut traces and what not. So with that said where did you get those jumper cables mang? And did u just place electrical tape on the factory printed lines? Is that all that is needed?? Please advise o'wise one!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And this hasn't been made a sticky or Tech article yet for what reason?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And this hasn't been made a sticky or Tech article yet for what reason?
I second that... I vote this for best tech article ever!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member

Default ?

I'm curious on what type of leds everyone used on the gauges? Did everyone use the 0603's from ebay or did you use a larger type. Mine that i got are really tiny, they are just little specs. Any help would be appreciated before I start pulling stuff apart.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

http://www.edesignaudio.com/wire_cat.php?catid=32

Power top=roughly same as the stock LEDs
Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member

nevermind, answered my own question. Thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

To those that sent me pms about this, sorry it took so long to respond. I was out of town all week. The ones from LC-LED (the power tops) are the exact package to replace the stock LEDs. Make sure you have some tweezers or some small needle nose pliers available.. because they are tiny.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Back to page one for you.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

engifineer you should find out how to change the LED's for us automatic guys shift area..... just a thought... new idea?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by KINGxOFxSKA
engifineer you should find out how to change the LED's for us automatic guys shift area..... just a thought... new idea?
Are you refferring to the console area around the shifter? If so... I will have to get my hands on an auto and check that out.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KINGxOFxSKA
Are you refferring to the console area around the shifter? If so... I will have to get my hands on an auto and check that out.
Hmm, never really thought about those. I'll check them out in the next week or so and see whats up. BTW - your CAI is on the way

Quick Reply: LED Swap (05-06 HVAC w/Circuit MOD)