Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

LED Swap (Cubby Hole, Automatic Shifter)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm I cant seem to get the Shifter part off...any other ideas? i tried using a screw driver to pry it off, but it just wont come off!! If there is any other way to get back there pllleaasssee tell me
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i broke that one clear part where can i buy a replacement?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeh u shouldnt have used the screw driver to pry the shifter plate..that sucker is on pretty tight, esp. if its ur first time taking it off. reason u dont want to use the screwdriver is cuz u risk breaking some clips that hold the shifter onto the rest of the assembly. it doesnt provide enough play for the clips to release vs. using ur hands.

how did you break ur clear piece?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I ended up getting it off with my hands and the clear piece is completely smashed its just the clip on the bottom...(super glue maybe?) So yeah i was pulling and tugging gently...so then it came up, but the plastic clip was already off...and bam next thing i know i couldnt clip it back on...but i put my LED in it anyways and sorta set it on the shifter and then put the cover on it snapping it in place...Im thinking it will probaly rattle around in their since its not really attached to the top piece of the shifter, but im not sure other than that my white LED looks good
Old 06-16-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great DIY
Old 06-16-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DonnyDarko
Well I ended up getting it off with my hands and the clear piece is completely smashed its just the clip on the bottom...(super glue maybe?) So yeah i was pulling and tugging gently...so then it came up, but the plastic clip was already off...and bam next thing i know i couldnt clip it back on...but i put my LED in it anyways and sorta set it on the shifter and then put the cover on it snapping it in place...Im thinking it will probaly rattle around in their since its not really attached to the top piece of the shifter, but im not sure other than that my white LED looks good
well at least everything still lights up ok. if you do end up taking it apart again, mayb superglue would be sufficient. but hey, if it works now and you can deal with any possible rattles, by all means just let it be.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just ordered a pair or Xenon White #74 bulbs off Ebay for $3.30 shipped. I'll be sure to post some pix once I get them and install using this thread DIY.

Check them out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=009
Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

anyone did this with white LEDs? i did mine and my shifter lights up but it kidna gets darker when it goes towards L and towards Park. any ideas on how to make this thing bright all the way through?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^You can't make it brighter. Its the way the LED emits its light. Compared to stock bulb the LED is a little longer, thus causing some dark areas. When I switched mine out to a green LED, I noticed the dark area. After a while, I got used to it. I don't even notice it now.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

eh fair enough.. lol.. thanks for the help. trung said the same thing but through aim haha.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I just did mine with a white led from superbrightleds.com. Looks nicer now without the horrid amber color. I did notice the slight darker spots on the L and P spots, but when its dark out you can barely notice a difference. The green N looks a little lighter now too. Looks good though. Got the same light for my cubby hole too.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone seen this info for xB's?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great DIY.....I just did it and it come out great....Thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
lol actually i jus got red gauges and console tonight! lol gotta re-take the pics though cuz they came out blurry. sooo those will go up later tonight
Where did you get your gauges done? I have been trying to email LedMods.net and I have gotten no response!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow..thread revival lol. i got em done two years ago by kenny aka rosesofhouston..before supposedly he ran off with everyone's parts and money and left them out hanging. pm squallheart. he specializes in it i believe. he and 3 other guys i think
Old 06-02-2007, 06:59 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

bumping because people still keep asking.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hopefully not too stupid of a question: can i assume that just swapping in a couple led's ( ie cubby, map lights, etc ) is a simple swap of bulbs, so that one doesn't need to worry about resistors, etc unless doing a larger piece like a gauge panel? The wife wants some blue in her ride, and some of the articles i've read on here lately were making me wonder if i could do something bad here.
thx
Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes, these are easy swaps. cubby and shifter are 74 wedge bulbs. you can get them at superbrightleds.com ... find the bulb, pull it out, put in new one, turn on, open mouth in aww.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ thanks. can i assume as well that the bulbs for say map lights/rear dome lights are also just the simple swap, nothing "special" needed?

Boy, i wish all these things were available "back in the day" to dress up the old rides...... I had to rely on my "10 band eq" with all the flashing lights to give me something different in the interior... of course the switch from 8-track to cassette was pure heaven as well....
Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

lol, the front domes are easy. the middle dome SHOULD be easy (but mine is giving me some problems, i used the 9led bulb from superbrightleds.com and i dont know if it doesnt fit or what but it doesnt always light up... fronts work fine though) and the cargo bulb, last i saw no one had figured out a bulb for that

Quick Reply: LED Swap (Cubby Hole, Automatic Shifter)