Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

LED Swap (Cubby Hole, Automatic Shifter)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i went to the superbight leds site found the size i see there the wedge base and the hp wedge base im guessing its the wedge base leds am i correct
Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gp1817
ok i went to the superbight leds site found the size i see there the wedge base and the hp wedge base im guessing its the wedge base leds am i correct
I used the HP wedge, but those are also slightly rounder than the housing the stock bulb fits into. I was able to just jam it in there and it worked, though I don't know if the other bulb is a good fit.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I will have to do this on my girlfriend's tC. The finished result looks awesome. I was just thinking the other day how ugly the factory lettering is.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys, need some help. I went to turn my tC on tonight to go to the gym when I noticed the shifter light was out. After nearly 5 years old in August, that's a good life for a bulb. So I went to swap the shifter light with the cubby hole light because I don't use the cubby at all.

Now, when I tried to put the cubby hole light into the shifter light, it didn't come on. I turned it around in the socket the other way (maybe it was in the wrong direction) and it still didn't work!

So I figured I'd cut my loss and just put the light back in the cubby hole because that lights up the shifter anyway. But now the cubby hole light won't light up. i didn't blow a fuse because all the other lights in the vehicle are operating just fine.

Anyone got any ideas? I mean, now I'm kinda ____ed, lol.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wanted to reply to the original poster and say thanks. I did this a while back and it was really easy to do though I have a funny story in regards to the shifter light.

So I disassemble the whole thing and there is that plastic band under the shifter housing. Its the loose part with the hole in it that the shifter goes through.

Well I put everything back together and drove out of my parking garage. I overswung the turn by the exit and needed to back up or else drive over one of those big medians in the middle where the Pay Box is.

My shifter wouldn't move! I couldn't shift upwards, only downwards.

So I panic and throw the e-brake on and thankfully it stayed in place.

I ripped apart my console around the shifter again only to find that the plastic band had somehow gotten angled when I reinstalled the plastic cover that shows you what gear your in.

After a few minutes of fiddling with it, I got the plastic band aligned properly (there are little tabs on the underside of the gear lettering cover to help align it properly) then snapped it all back together.

Thankfully this fixed the problem and I was able to put the car into reverse and avoid driving over the median in the garage. Man would that have been some great footage on the security camera had that happened.

Anyway, thanks for the DIY and I now have a bright white shifter path and neon blue cubby!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member

Do I use the #74x or #74xHP? I do not want the light too bright. Maybe the same brightness as the stock one, but red.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you use the 74hp. i just did the install today. it was quite easy. the tricky part was putting the light underneath the shifter. that thing just wouldn't stay on i used electrical tape to make it stay on. it looks a hell of a lot nicer with the white. the L isn't illuminated much but oh well atleast i can see it again it was dark for a whole week.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

... really?