^^ thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by engifineer
It doesnt take heat. A cold joint fails on its own due to a lot of things. The point is that it is very weak and can be easilly broken by vibration (which cars have a lot of), temp changes (winter/summer) etc. They also allow more oxygen into the joint, which can print on internal corrosion. I have a board sitting here right this minute that three of the LEDs stopped working on, so it was sent to me. Cold solder joint. They actually did a pretty good job soldering, but there was one cold joint (The board developed other issues, but they are a different story).

Moving the peice at ALL while the solder is hot creates a cold joint. That is the definition actually. So heating it that way and then placing it does just that. Take it from someone who has been doing this a long time, including working with 144 pin flat pack processors with pins so close together you have to use a magnifying glass to de-solder and resolder them.

Not trying to bash you or start a fight at all. But what you are describing IS a cold joint, and any joint that was not created that way will last longer. The part should be touching the contact pad when the solder is heated, and should not move at all until the solder hardens. I just dont want people learning this way and then having issues later on. It is actually much easier to learn to do it the right way .
YAY...I do it that way...YAY.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^
Which way?

Seriously, I wasnt trying to offend anyone doing it any other way, just trying to add some helpful info to help people create good lasting connections

Oh, and bread makes me poop.... yaaaayyyyyy sorry, thats my favorite line of his :D
Old 05-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

The right way

Started doing a Kia the other day. They make me jealous...the LEDs for the needles are actually completely separated from anything else...so different colored needles on those = cake.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That would be nice.

I have a set of needles I left to dry last night that I did in neon blue. So I cant wait to see how they come out when I put thier gauges back together before shipping today. Should look very nice!

I think I am getting ready to start doing Nissans as well (G35 and Titans), so we will see how those are put together next I guess A shop is trying to arrange to send me the gauges and console to see what LEDs it takes and if it needs any modding.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

As I mentioned, here are some more pics. The first two are of the set I just painted the needles blue on and changed the LEDs to blue. I think this would also look awesome with white gauges and blue needles. The next ones are pics of my setup with red needles and the temp **** with blue, blue, red, red. I used neon blue acrylic paint on the blue needles, so they look nice without the lights on as well. Sorry, they were all taken in a partially lit garage, so some of the details dont stand out quite as well as they do in person, but you get the general idea.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that the same car in both pictures because that's a 3500 mile increase/decrease if so in the odo.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Same car. The mileage is completely stored in the gauge cluster, just like a car without a digital odo. I plugged his into my car to see how the blue would turn out and take some pics. The pics with the red needles are with my gauges installed.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Gauges are done! Rj rocks "local led master" Told him what I wanted and BAM! I could not get into the total blue look "just not my style but does look good!" so I chose a two tone... well triple tone... red white and blue. Red needles, white letters & buttons and blue lcd's.... Will match the autometer ultralite series 2 gauges I ordered perfectly!

Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i wasn't suggesting you changed the odo reading somehow lol i was just saying some time passed between those pictures ..hopefully you didn't get 3500 miles too quickly lol
Old 05-27-2006, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

why isnt your odometer displaying anything desert?
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It actually is, stupid camera for some reason blanked it out! It almost blanked out the hvac lcd readout. Man I love the new look. The "baby that just crapped after eating carrots look" was getting mega old.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member

engifineer, I cant wait to get my guages to you! LMK when oyu have a red/red picture available please. Also, when I send them to you, can ya do the needle red please : ) thanks! (cant wait, looks so good!)
Old 05-27-2006, 10:02 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by desertheat
It actually is, stupid camera for some reason blanked it out! It almost blanked out the hvac lcd readout. Man I love the new look. The "baby that just crapped after eating carrots look" was getting mega old.
polarized filter?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Naw cheapo olympus $199 new a year ago haha! It has an issue with blue light / long exposure times like that shot I took.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

dammit! i want to hurry up and get them done! Hopefully sometime within this summer ill be headed to H-town to get them done! i wish i had the talent and patience for this!

my gauges will be everything amber will change to bright white and either red or blue needles? and do what "engifineer" did and do the ac from red to red/blue to blue! cant wait! Ill post pics as soon as i get them done!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Gauge Cluster Illumination Change - HOWTO

Originally Posted by panasoanic
Excuse the pictures, my camera sucks at night.
Wow! fantasatic job! excellent write up! I still dont have the nootz to try it! (they're coming soon enginifineer!) You must have a Sony camera! All my Sony cameras have always taken lousy pictures at night. It has to be high noon for it to take a decent picture. oh well, looks great, Im gonna get them done in red too as soon as I can ($)
Old 05-28-2006, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ENGI is the man!!! the guages with the blue needles are mine they will be here tomorrow. like I said ENGI is the man good job bro.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Glad you like them! IF they deliver on holidays there you should see them tomorrow. I checked the box for weekend and holiday delivery. If not they will be there tuesday for sure.

As far as the new LEDs are concerned, the blues I ordered came yesterday, but apparently they missed me and took them to the post office (they sent them registered mail). So I will go pick them up tuesday and test them. If they are all good, I will order what the people currently waiting need and get some times scheduled for everyone.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:28 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ thanks dave! just keep us updated!

Quick Reply: LED Swap (Guages / HVAC)