tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

LED Swap (Guages / HVAC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I hope this hasn't been asked already...but which blue leds should be used from superbrightleds for the gauge cluster and center console? There are quite a few blue leds to choose from.

How important is viewing angle?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

those are the wrong LEDs you need to use if you wanna do this mod. Those are only for 194/168/74/1157 type bulbs, not gauge cluster ones. Try this one out for the LEDs for this mod: http://lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/97

Those are the ones you need to properly do this mod.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks to engifineer his HVAC mods worked perfect
I did it in a few hours. Lots of breaks in between.

Great instructions. Easy to follow.

engifineer: Im doing white everywhere but I wanted to do blue needles. I know I have to paint them blue but should I use a blue led under the needle? Or is it really not needed?

Also anyone know where to find purple smd for the cluster?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

nd4spd_4_a_tc: just paint them blue. There is no "below the needle" LED and it requires too much modding for the little blue glow. Painting = win.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Very true. I used the "Apple Barrel" neon blue paint I got from Michaels (Walmart sells the same brand I think) for the needles above. I am sure they would glow just as well with white below them. The light is just "Piped" into the needle via a part of the clear that faces down into the cluster. Just use nail polish remover, and be very patient, to remove the old paint. I then apply multiple coats of the blue until it comes out nice and even on the back of the needle. Make sure you take the needles apart before doing it or you will have orange spots where they meet the center.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

An update on the new LEDs from Hong Kong. I didnt get them until yesterday, so I will set them up and run them at max today and tonight along with some from LC-LED. If the color looks right and they hold up I will start using them. Granted, there is no way to do a long term test on them without just using them, but typically if they can handle thier max or a little over it, for 20 hours or so straight then I dont have too many worries about them. If this is all good I will re-adjust my pricing and let everyone know. I would like to heat the oven to about 120 - 140 degrees and run them in there for a while to see how they handle it. That would really be a better test I think. I will update as soon as I figure somethign out.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

wee!!! stick them in the oven!

thanks for the update.... very much awaiting on results
Old 06-02-2006, 10:15 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

any word?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

any1 in Houston knows how to do this? Let me know, im going there in 2 weeks for the weekend and been wanting to do this. "Cleancustoms" is knowhere to be found? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am pretty sure the new ones are decent LEDs. I couldnt get them in the oven, cause I had no good way to keep them powered (without sticking the power supply in there too) rather than batteries, which I would rather not keep that hot under load.

But, I ran them for about 6 hours right at their max rating (20 mA) one night, ran them two hours at 40 mA and 3 more hours directly after that at 65mA Which kept them hot enough that it hurt to touch them for that 3 hours They held up fine. I hooked them up directly beside the ones we use now, and they look to be the same hue and brightness. This does tell me that they really arent putting out the rated 500 mcd, but they are still matching up to what we are using.

Granted, I dont have a good way to simulate long term useage, but this was enough for me to start using them.

I have already questioned the supplier who says they can provide a steady supply and support large orders, so I will be having a big order come in soon I think and will be adjusting my prices accordingly.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by cuzzoerc
ENGI is the man!!! the guages with the blue needles are mine they will be here tomorrow. like I said ENGI is the man good job bro.

Hey man, I have not been able to reach you for a week. I have the parts in to repair the damaged HVAC module you sent me, and need payment before doing the work and shipping them back. I have sent multiple emails to you regarding this. Please get in touch with me ASAP. Sorry to send this here, but it is the only other method I have. You mentioned in an email when you first told me you were sending the damaged module to me to call, but there was no number listed in the email.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey guys, I am now stocking the led's you need on my website www.garage1217.com Killer shipping price and priority mail is quick! Blue, Red, White and green are ready to ship out Tuesday! These are the 100% exact same brand / model that lc-led is selling. They are 350mcd and are 140 degree, not 120 according to the actual manufacturers spec sheet! I sell them cheaper than lc and also cheaper / faster shipping via priority mail at just $4.00 for any QTY!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol u added an exclamation point at the end of the .com but great prices, thanks for the add of the leds!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

man must have been excited "!!!!!" hahaha!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I swapped half my HVAC out for the new LEDs last night. The cheaper ones are a deeper shade of blue (wasnt that some cheasy 70's song? ) than the other ones are. I think it looks very nice, however, they do not match the underdash lighting a closely as the others do. But I really dont think that is much of an issue. I tried taking pics, but the color difference just doesnt show up well in them. They are closer to the blue that a VW uses for its dash.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hmm... cool.. thanks for the info dave!
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey guys i have a problem, i used viros way to do someones center console and i did the way of slicing a piece of the board and using the jumper cable way by connecting the speaker wire to both sides, and not everything is lighting up, the bottom left is lighting up perfect (the colors are blue by the way) and the lcd screen glows but only the left side lights up and the third doesnt, and the other leds dont work. What do i do?? i tried using different leds thinking it was that but nope, than i tried a diff speaker wire, and still nothing, than i tried to move the speaker wire and i soldered the leds that werent working on the board and they are very dim so i kno they work. whatt dooo iii dooo??????
Old 06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

help its mine....!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you can put a photo up of the mod in its non-working state I can most likely tell you what the issue is pretty quick. Just make sure it is clear enough to see what is connected to what. Take a pic of the left side close up then the right and post them if possible.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The led's are in series from memory, sounds like one of them is bad causing part of them not to light up... does this sound correct engifineer..??

Quick Reply: LED Swap (Guages / HVAC)