Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Mirror Turn Signal Change

Old 07-04-2005, 10:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should i go with 3000 or 8000mcd LEDs? (Or possibly even 18000mcd...they're all the same price)
Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Kaeon
Originally Posted by toastbox
FYI....as good as that looks, it's also illegal. Side markers are *required* to be amber/orange. Some states might fail your safety inspection, so be cautious.

It does look sweet though! Great job guys!
Not 100% True, Some states allow Orange/White
does anyone have a list of what states require what... im currently living in GA and i think its legal here, but im moving to cali in 15 months. so i want to stay legal.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member

I just got done with the mod not too bad with the excellent directions. One question though i was told by two people that i didn't need to sand if i used resin core solder. i used the resin core solder but i had already sanded so i am not sure if it made a diff or not anyone know?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That may be true for bare metal, but the metal in the mirrors is plated and no solder will stick to it. If it isnt sanded and you manage to get it to stick, it will all fall off the first time you close your door or go over aq big bump
Old 08-20-2005, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Instigator and Kaeon, Thanks! I did this yesterday and it works great!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
Strictly Scionized
Scion Noics
Scikotics
SL Member

Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default Mirror DIY install

so the install was done for the passenger side, would the same apply for the driver side meaning same way to install just in the other direction or ?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will be the same. If you get it together and one or all of them dont light up, you would just have to remove and resolder the LEDs in reverse polarity. Hooking up LEDs in reverse wont hurt them or your cars electronics. Check it before you seal everything back together.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys...Same thing happened to me. Any suggestions? It worked before, but after a while, the lights stopped working for me. I took everything apart, check the solder, still stuck onto the Sanded metal plate. So I resoldered it again just incase, adding mre, plugged it in and its still not working. What did u guys do? DId u guys change the LED's? or what did u guys do? So confused right now...
Old 09-15-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Youll need to replace the LEDs that are dead. It seems that they cant handle the impact of the door closing a lot and are breaking. After soldering the new LEDs on, squeeze some silicone under the LEDs and it help to keep them from having the problems. It just helps to hold them in place and resist the impacts. I havent had any die for about 4 months after doing the silicone trick.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CatalepsicFox
I wonder why don't you put that whole signal casing into the oven like what people do to make angel eyes in with their headlights.
same thought

mine
Old 10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its already been answered. The casing isnt glued together with the same kind of silicone. They are bonded by a very hard contact cement or even melted together to form a solid unit.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Its already been answered. The casing isnt glued together with the same kind of silicone. They are bonded by a very hard contact cement or even melted together to form a solid unit.
Correct...
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you put in more than 2 with this method? Also what does bridging the top and bottom do?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right now I have mine set up with 3 LEDs per side, but it doesnt really make a difference. The bridge is there to run the LEDs in parallel to make them brighter. They come wired in series form the factory which lowers the overall voltage of the circuit.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i was wondering is it safe to paint those metal peices inside the turn signal. I want to paint it the whole interior black so it will seem darker than it really is.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i was wondering is it safe to paint those metal peices inside the turn signal. I want to paint it the whole interior black so it will seem darker than it really is.

I wouldnt do that then all you would see is two led's light up, That mirror finish is there for a reason

Just a little update as well, I come out of chillies last night and unlock my car my driver side mirror is hella blinking it almost looks like a strobe light! I think I need to re solder and add some more silicone to the back for a better connection.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason I ask this is because I want to steal this idea from them

http://clearcorners.com/products/scion/tc1/F_ssig/

The signal the converted looks reallly nice but I was wonder on the spec for this project. I really want to do this but the only problem is I dont know where we can get array LEDs like that.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason I ask this is because I want to steal this idea from them

http://clearcorners.com/products/scion/tc1/F_ssig/

The signal the converted looks reallly nice but I was wonder on the spec for this project. I really want to do this but the only problem is I dont know where we can get array LEDs like that.
Yeh Ive always liked those they look sweet, But like you said I don't know how they got the LED's like that...
Old 02-13-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job kaeon!! great write up.

the only problem ive had here, as im sure ever one else has had that has done this, is that after a while the led legs break, and they stop working so you have to re do it alllll over again. after my 3rd time of fixing it, i came up with a better option. here we go......

the first thing you must do, is follow kaeons steps to take apart your mirror, unscrew the light housing, and then you must dremel apart the housing, seperating the gray back, to the clear front. you can see his diy for that here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

then...hit up your local auto parts store and pick up a set of these or something like it.

dont be arlarmed, i know its apc, but it was the only thing i can find lol.

these are leds in a little protective case, connected together by wire. they are made to go under body or what ever else, so they are strong and wont break

there are 4 wired together. the wire goes in to the led, then out to the next, the last led has no wire coming out of it.

you are going to use both end leds from each strand, and then then another one. your going to have to strip back the white insulation to reviel the black(negative) and white(positive) wires inside of it. then wire them up just like this:
(rember use solder and then wrap your connections in electrical tape!!!)

(black is positive, black with white lines is negative)

your going to then wire the led up to the stock wires, i just cut off the stock clip, since you are not going to use it any more.

the leds have double sided tape on them, but i used glue as well to secure them to the mirror, like this:

after that take the clear plastic part of the light housing and glue it to the stock mirror cover, like this:

and this:

then after that dries, pop it back onto your mirror, and enjoy!!!!

here are pics of the finished product:

Old 02-13-2006, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet! now give us some outdoor pics! How's the output? Also did you insulate the joints with anything?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mirror Turn Signal Change