tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Mudguard Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mudguard Install

Okay, I'm back and have just installed the factory mudguards (ordered from McGeorge Parts for $27.60 + $5 shipping.) They come in a set of four, and require drilling some holes in the rear bumper cover plastic. It only took about 30 minutes including taking the pictures.

Parts:

I followed the instructions that came with the mudguards, but I'll include a few tips.

We'll start with the fronts, since they're easiest. First off, the instructions don't tell you to remove the wheels or jack the car up, so I didn't. You can turn the front wheels all the way toward the side you're installing the mudguard on and that will give you enough room to work. One of the screws is vertical, under the car, so a short screwdriver or right-angle screwdriver is needed. I cleaned the surfaces where the mudgaurds go with some Windex on a rag. They're not adhesive or anything, so this was just to keep any dirt from being trapped underneath. You remove the two screws that are already there, put the mudguard in position, reinstall those two screws then attach the upper screw which is provided with the kit. There is already a plastic grommet with a hole that the screw goes into. Hold the mudguard tight against the body when you tighten the screws so you don't get gaps. Any gap more than 1mm and you should probably losen the screws and adjust it.

Pics of the front...

Before:

Wheels turned:

After:

You obviously can't turn the rears, but there was enough room to do the installation with minimal fuss. If your drill is pretty big, you might have to angle it some, but it doesn't matter too much. I suppose you could jack up the car and remove the wheel, but I don't think it's necessary. You start by removing the push-pin under the bumper cover (see first picture below.) It holds the inner and outer bumper plastic together. A small flat screwdriver makes it easy. Then you position the mudguard and install the new plastic pin which screws in. Now that the mudguard is in place, you can drill holes. (Drill holes?? In my new car?!!! Well, yes, but, it's pretty easy. Plus, you're only drilling plastic, and you'll never see the holes, so as long as you don't go crazy, it's pretty hard to screw up.) Using a drill bit close to 6mm (I think mine was 7/32) hold the mudgaurd tightly to the body and drill your holes through the holes in the mudguard. Don't worry about drilling too far. If you don't drill through both the outer and inner plastic, the tip of the screw will push against the inner part. It's not a big deal, but it pushes the inner plastic away from the outer enough that dirt and stuff could easily collect in there. Better to just go gung-ho through both pieces. After your holes are drilled, you slide the "U-nuts" (look like the things that come with most aftermarket speakers to secure them to panels) over the outer bumper cover. Be sure the part with the "threads" is behind the cover. Now you just hold the muguard tight to the bumper cover and attach your screws.

Pics of the rear...

Rear push pin:

Before:

During:

After:

So, all in all, pretty easy. I like the way they look, especially on a dark car. You really don't notice them. And if you think you don't need them, just look at your side sills behind the front wheels. Mine already had a couple nicks, along with what appeared to be tire rubber (I wonder where that came from :twisted:.)

Finished Pics:

Old 07-25-2004, 03:24 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

wish there was a way to install this over the bodykit...
Old 07-25-2004, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Put my wheel locks and mud guards on last Tuesday and they look good. The guards don't detract from the style of the car at all. I highly recommend them.

Love my Dark Cherry Pearl!!!
Old 07-25-2004, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah.. I like the way they blend in with the tires kinda.. Now I'm gonna order mine.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I get my car, mud flaps are deffinately on the list. Not from the dealer. From that website.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcwannab
hey do me a favor, next time you wash ur car, bend ur knees and wash under it, i saw some waterspot/dirt droplet things under there sweet car
Next time will be the first time. :D

I think the mudguards look great on dark cars. They just kind of blend in. On the lighter cars you'd have to decide for youself since they are more obvious.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I just ordered mine (thanx 4 the link) and now Im looking at mine Silver Streak and wondering how much its going to stand out. Although it looks like it only sticks out a couple of inches.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Is the material paintable, I would like to color match the exterior side(side opposite of the tire) with the color of the car. I think it would look 10x better.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:50 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinking the same too...

was going to take a look at them and see if i may be able to modify it a bit to fit over the bodykit
Old 07-27-2004, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paintable, probably, but you weould need to prime and sand it to get it smooth if you wanted it to match the body.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:24 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

and clear coat in the end
Old 07-27-2004, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

but getting them painted kinda defeats their purpose, they are there to prevent rocks from chiping your body paint. With painted mudguards, they will be all tore up really fast.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:39 PM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

he was talking about just the backside of the mudgaurds, not the inside
Old 08-03-2004, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Anyone have pics of this on a silver yet? It looks dead sexy on the BCP.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will drillin the holes in the back interfere with any warrenty ?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meh, I finally got to see a TC with the mudflaps installed today and I am glad I passed on them.

They look out of place and some what cheap on the car. Just doesn't belong.

I went with the clear bra route on my skirts instead of those gaudy flaps.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Am I the only one not able to see the pics of the how-to?

I saw the pics of the mudguards after installation at cardomain.com.

Jason, could you please post a side-profile pic of your car with the mudguards installed? Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stewbie2002
Am I the only one not able to see the pics of the how-to?
As far as I know, yes.

Originally Posted by Stewbie2002
Jason, could you please post a side-profile pic of your car with the mudguards installed? Thanks
Next time I'm taking pics I'll keep it in mind.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks alot man, Those helped out alot!! and I thought the back mudguards was gonna be a _____ cause U had 2 drill the hole..Naw..It was easy!! Check out my webpage for some pics of my car.

www.cardomain.com/id/sciontctrav

MCGeorgeParts.com ROCKS!!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by scion jC
Will drilling the holes in the back interfere with any warranty ?
FWIW - since the screws that come with them are self-tapping, you don't really have to use a drill to make the holes at all. Just hold the mudguard firmly against the car while putting in the screw.

I've got a silver tC and they look great. Because of the black tires close by, they don't stand out much at all.

This job should take you less than one hour. As was mentioned in the tutorial above, just be sure you have a short screwdriver to work with the screws on the bottom of the skirt areas.

-- Gerry

Quick Reply: Mudguard Install