10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
dude, get a tial red spring its 5.8psi and thats perfect for untunned its what i ran, and then when u get tuned u can up it to 7 or 8, i say use the red because if u use the yellow u can only get 6psi outta that spring on a boostcontroller because its never a good ideal to double the wastgate boost

How you figure that?
travis its not reccomended to go over double the spring rate ie: 3psi spring x2=6

Says who? Never heard that before. Got links on information?

Cause as far as I know, a boost controller has nothing to do with the spring in the wg, besides when you turn the bc off the lowest boost you can run would be that of the spring in the wg. So, I need information with a scientific explanation as to why a bc at X amount of boost over the wg spring is going to do anything to the wg or the wg spring itself.

I have a manual bc. Bleed type, meaning, it bleeds off (vents) the pressure to allow the car to see more boost. So, when the WG opens up, it opens up when it sees it's boost pressure according to the spring (9 lb spring). So, whether I'm running 10 PSI, or 30 PSI, the WG opens when it hits 9 PSI of pressure.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, get a tial red spring its 5.8psi and thats perfect for untunned its what i ran, and then when u get tuned u can up it to 7 or 8, i say use the red because if u use the yellow u can only get 6psi outta that spring on a boostcontroller because its never a good ideal to double the wastgate boost

How you figure that?
travis its not reccomended to go over double the spring rate ie: 3psi spring x2=6

Says who? Never heard that before. Got links on information?

Cause as far as I know, a boost controller has nothing to do with the spring in the wg, besides when you turn the bc off the lowest boost you can run would be that of the spring in the wg. So, I need information with a scientific explanation as to why a bc at X amount of boost over the wg spring is going to do anything to the wg or the wg spring itself.

I have a manual bc. Bleed type, meaning, it bleeds off (vents) the pressure to allow the car to see more boost. So, when the WG opens up, it opens up when it sees it's boost pressure according to the spring (9 lb spring). So, whether I'm running 10 PSI, or 30 PSI, the WG opens when it hits 9 PSI of pressure.

normal your right.. with the boost controller turned the whole way down, it does run the default setting. But i am running about 6 feet or so of vaccumm line so its mounted inside the car, and if i turn it down the whole way.. it runs like 2 psi instead of the default 5. I really dont know why besides the fact that its running through so much line.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by stevejohns29
normal your right.. with the boost controller turned the whole way down, it does run the default setting. But i am running about 6 feet or so of vaccumm line so its mounted inside the car, and if i turn it down the whole way.. it runs like 2 psi instead of the default 5. I really dont know why besides the fact that its running through so much line.

Now THAT I'm pretty sure is not a good thing to do. It's a manual bC, stop being lazy and put it in the engine bay where is should be. That much line bro and it being just a manual bc, I can not be sure you are seeing accurate boost readings.

That's kinda scary actually.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke is correct about the wastegate and boost controller being independant once wastegage pressure is reached.

As for your boost controller being on 5' of line... that shoud really be put in the engine bay before it causes problems!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its reading accurate boost levels.. the gauge has its own line tapped into the intake manifold, but ive seen many people run them inside. Its a turbonetics controller and theres no way or knowing how much your increasing or decreasing the boost without watching the boost gauge. thats why its inside.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

its reading accurate boost levels.. the gauge has its own line tapped into the intake manifold, but ive seen many people run them inside. Its a turbonetics controller and theres no way or knowing how much your increasing or decreasing the boost without watching the boost gauge. thats why its inside.

Yes there is. You go from the close position and start opening up. The instruction manual tells you how many turns it takes to go 1 PSI. I have the TurboXS. Instructions say to have it fully closed, make 3 initial full turns, and after that ever full turn is 1 PSI.

Don't sound to accurate to me. I'm just going by what you wrote.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i like the turbXS controller alot better. This one said to watch the boost gauge. I even called and double checked. It is very sensitive
Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^yeah, that's a bit unsafe to not have some kinda control factor.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i agree but thats why its mounted inside.. and it has a lock features so once you reach the boost you want, it locks in place.. i still rather have the turboxs one.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I just went through this entire thread ~ eyes are a little glazed over from all of the info.

One topic I didn't see covered was if the TRD flash could be used to run the stage 0 kit with the 550 injectors @ 6 PSI. If this seems like a stupid question to you, please figure out a way to say why in a constructive manner. I am looking to learn not get in a thread war.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pdool09
OK, I just went through this entire thread ~ eyes are a little glazed over from all of the info.

One topic I didn't see covered was if the TRD flash could be used to run the stage 0 kit with the 550 injectors @ 6 PSI. If this seems like a stupid question to you, please figure out a way to say why in a constructive manner. I am looking to learn not get in a thread war.
Short answer: The TRD flash won't work for turbos.

Explanation: When you look at a graph of boost vs. RPM, a supercharger gives pretty much linear boost. At low RPM's, you have low boost, at mid-RPM's, you have medium boost, and at high RPM's, you have high boost. With a turbo, depending on the load, you can have high boost at low to mid RPM's and you can also have low boost at high RPM's. Because of that, you need a totally different tune. If you are running the TRD flash and hit full boost early in the middle of the RPM range, you'll be running really lean and could cause bad things to happen to your engine.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THansenite
Short answer: The TRD flash won't work for turbos.

Explanation: When you look at a graph of boost vs. RPM, a supercharger gives pretty much linear boost. At low RPM's, you have low boost, at mid-RPM's, you have medium boost, and at high RPM's, you have high boost. With a turbo, depending on the load, you can have high boost at low to mid RPM's and you can also have low boost at high RPM's. Because of that, you need a totally different tune. If you are running the TRD flash and hit full boost early in the middle of the RPM range, you'll be running really lean and could cause bad things to happen to your engine.

I hope that helps.
Yes, this is very helpful - thanks for the breakdown - I had read in another thread about a custom 'turbo kit' that was using the TRD flash for fuel management. It sounded a little odd and I wanted to know more. THanks.

I am sure I will be posting more questions here as I get my ZPI kit setup and installed.