Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Dear Scion: PLEASE fix the PAINT on these cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you get what you pay for i guess....it is a $15k car....
Old 11-04-2004, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Hoffa916
yeah, but it should still hold up to things like this. Its funny how 5 years ago a 15K wasnt considering a cheap POS.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:46 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
yeah, but it should still hold up to things like this. Its funny how 5 years ago a 15K wasnt considering a cheap POS.
In 2001 I bought an Echo, I payed $1,1500. I never had a problem with the paint, up until somelady hit it while it was parked I had 1 paint chip from a rock at 60mph, and i didn't treat it near as carefully as I do my xA. I'm pondering going to a body shop to have the paint sanded up and reapplied with a really good clearcoat on top.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
some of u need to understand that paintjobs all ALL newer cars
suck not just our scions.. stop complaining..

as for my friend's infiniti g35, he has chips or what not
just as easy as my car. he put on a clear carbra and it's perfect
now.. my bumper is thrashed and i'll be shooting it over soon..

but keep in mind all cars have sucky paintjobs.. the manufactorer's
use water base paint instead of oil base now because of the stricter
pollution laws.
Oh spare me the bull____. I've never had a car that chipped like this. EVER. Learn how to read.

I have a meeting with the Scion District Manager on Nov. 16. Hopefully it will yield something productive but if not I don't really care. I'm just going to have the car custom painted next year in something that looks sexy and has a tight ___ clear coat on it. Bye bye cheap paint!
Old 11-07-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCexy
can someone help me out? after i got out of school i looked at my car and there was bird dookie everywhere. so i went to get a car wash and u can still see the dook print on the car. if u tilt ur head so that the glare of the sun reflects off the hood u could see the print of where the dook had dropped. i tried washing it off with window cleaner and other detergents but it doesn't come off. is this permanent or is there a way to take it off? could this be the bad paintjob that ur all talking about??
Happend to mine as well. I used Meguiar's 3-step program and it's back to perfect. I still wonder WTF happend though.

As for the main topic, anyone ever look at their gas lid? I have a PW and jesus, there's no paint at all on mine. Looks like someone just spray painted it with a spray can.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
some of u need to understand that paintjobs all ALL newer cars
suck not just our scions.. stop complaining..

as for my friend's infiniti g35, he has chips or what not
just as easy as my car. he put on a clear carbra and it's perfect
now.. my bumper is thrashed and i'll be shooting it over soon..

but keep in mind all cars have sucky paintjobs.. the manufactorer's
use water base paint instead of oil base now because of the stricter
pollution laws.
My 3 year old Chevy Avalanche still looks new - paint is perfect.
Paint ain't what it used to be but my xB is worse than any car I've ever owned.
I buffed out a 96 Impala SS a couple of years ago and it was like buffing concrete.
Factory clearcoat on that car was rockhard (and thick). I won't even consider buffing my xB. There's nothing there!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

DITTO! I second that!
Old 11-14-2004, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I bought my xB in July 04, and have been noticing more and more chips/scratches than what I thought to be usual. Most of the problems I have noticed so far are on the bumpers and sideskirts. I also scratched the paint a little when debadging the rear. Even though I was very careful, after I took the emblem off, there was only one scratch I knew I had put there, the rest I was like "wtf? Did I do that?" Maybe if enough people where to gripe about this Toyota would actually listen and correct the issue.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my BOP in May, Drove to W Virginia from MA in mid-June and got a chip on the drivers side pillar about 1/8 1" round, it started to RUST less than 5 days later by the time I got home.

I also have numerous scratches on my hood from just driving daily to work and I also parked next to my POS corsica one day opened the door very slowly to make sure I did not hit because it was a tight squeeze and it BARELY touched the other car and the edge of the door it down to primer now!!

This is one reason I traded in my 04 BOP and I am getting a 05 TCM hoping the scratches will now show as bad and also we needed and auto.

I am getting a new TCM as I mentioned, is there a way for a paint shop to add clear to the current clear or is repainting the whole thing required. I am thinking if I could get that done it will save me me grey hair in the future...

For all those saying 'you get what you pay for' I have a freind with a kia spehia from 2001 and its paint still looks awesome also if you are going to give me a ____ paintjob why dont you put more effort into it and charge me 1k for ac, p/w p/d etc I would much rather pay that then have to go through this.

Also whoever has the meeting with the scion rep yesterday how did it go?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

smash wrote
Oh spare me the bull____. I've never had a car that chipped like this. EVER. Learn how to read.

I have a meeting with the Scion District Manager on Nov. 16. Hopefully it will yield something productive but if not I don't really care. I'm just going to have the car custom painted next year in something that looks sexy and has a tight ___ clear coat on it. Bye bye cheap paint!

I'm with you, I just hope I can keep it nice long enough or at least till it's paid for till I can either go custom color with some Quality paint or salvage the original color with QUALITY clear. If I had it to do over I would have went with white and did pearl lime green on the lower half instead of the BCP CRAP. It's a nice color but you can see every freakin scratch,flaw and speck of dust that gets on it.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member

I gotta go with the complainers on this one, I have a tree sap mark on my hood, and numerous scratches in several locations from MINOR things. The clear coat is TOO thin, and the paint is too. I am really disappointed with this particular problem, as I really love the car. But, it looks like I will need to get it painted well before I expected to.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how did the meeting go?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, glad you asked. The manager was a rude elderly gentleman who obviously didn't want to hear anything a young female had to say. I had three minutes of his time before he walked away from me. And this was after I'd waited nearly 2 months to see him. Needless to say I've filed 3 complaints: one with the Better Business Bureau, one with VA Consumer Affairs and one with the National Highway Safety Administration to bring this problem (of the messed up paint, and this dealership) to their attention. I'd highly advise anyone to do the same if they feel this strongly that there is something wrong with their paint.

I am going into arbitration with Scion in a couple weeks, and I hope to be well prepared to present my case to them. If any of you could post pictures of the front hood and/or bumper of your car it would really help me out a lot. I was at Target the other day and a flint mica tC parked right across from me, and my jaw nearly dropped when I saw that there was not a scratch/chip/dent in the front of the thing. And I looked hard too. And the car was bought the same month as mine, and obviously from the same area so it was driven on the same roads. Now you tell me that isn't just downright wrong. I am also going to a couple bodyshops to get something in writing along the lines of them saying this is not normal wear and tear on a 3 and a half month old car. The other part I will be presenting is of past recalls by Mazda, Ford and other companies on cars whose paint was faulty and prone to chipping, cracking or bubbling.

Anyway, I will be posting pictures of my hood and bumper chips on here this weekend, and I would greatly appreciate it if you or anyone you know could do the same- chips or no chips! I'd like to see both. I will be using these as part of my case.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok people well we have someone here who is willing to take the legal step to get all of us justice so lets get those pictures coming.

I will also add a link to this thread in my sig and would suggest everyone else does too so as many people can get in on this as possible, I know all of you must be a ____ed as I am about your brand new car chipping away and looking like crap already so lets do our part and post some pictures, it can only help and it is not right that we got such a halfass paintjob economy car or not.

I am trading in my 04 BOP saturday but I will get pics of all my chips before I do and I am just my 05 TCM will be the same way not too long down the road.

Just so you people realize that if this case wins chances are they could possibly do a major recall and we all get new paintjobs!!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you so much for your support in this matter, OKIHost. I can only hope people will step up and help us with this battle. Oh and thanks for the great idea of putting this in the sig line!!

Oh and I forgot to mention before.. if you have trouble posting pics to the forum or simply don't want to-- please feel free to e-mail them to me at veedubgirl@aol.com
Old 11-28-2004, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just saw a Black Sand xB at a dealer , the hood looked like the green giant's thumbprint under the clearcoat..spots on roof too .
dealer thought it might have something to do with the plastic shipping film .
zinc
Old 11-29-2004, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They put off me picking up my new xb till Tuesday so I will take some pictures of my BOP tomorrow if the rain stops, I am really suprised that more people are now contributing to this by now, if you are sick of the ____ty paint on your xB, xA or tC PLEASE post pictures here it MAY help and it may not but you have nothing to loose and it will hopefully help others in the future from having to deal with this problem also.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the NHTSA. I highly recommend that if your paint is prematurely chipping/cracking/bubbling/peeling, etc. that you take 5 minutes to file a complaint with the NHTSA; the complaints are important and taken into account very seriously. I will be posting pictures of the chips on my hood/bumper in the next 2 days or so and I'd appreciate it a lot if any of you could do the same.

Click below to file a complaint with the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
Old 11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

I won't say that your paint isn't chipping, cracking, or peeling abnormally, because I have no idea what your paint looks like, but I will say that my 4-month-old flint mica tC's paint is still in showroom condition.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes. I've gathered that the Flint Mica and selective other tc colors are not having the same issues. This is WHAT I'M TRYING TO PROVE TO SCION. Therefore it would be very very very helpful for those of you whose cars still look great to post those pictures too!

Quick Reply: Dear Scion: PLEASE fix the PAINT on these cars