Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

How Scion bucks the trends...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How Scion bucks the trends...

Just a short but very astute article about Scion and Scion marketing.

The only part totally skipped over is one more reason for Toyota, and especially Scion, causing excitement among potential buyers, and continuing reasonably good sales figures is the quality and value of the products.

Here's a little excerpt.

Automotive industry experts painted a very grim picture for the auto industry during the recent Reuters Auto Summit. They forecast that sales for 2008 may hit only 14.5 million units. That would continue the decline from this year and be the lowest sales total since 1998. In an already financially staggered industry this is not good news!

Facing this demand pressure, the big three domestic OEMs' press announcements have been about cost cutting, and many Japanese firms are toting alternative fueled vehicles. But neither of these issues excited my son. No, what excited my son was the idea that he could “individualize and customize a Scion so it wasn’t like any other car on the street.

Auto experts have been saying for a while now that making customers their top priority is the way to profitability and growth. Yet, this industry is steeped in building mass numbers of cars and hoping people will buy them. Inventories increase and lots get filled with cars that customers are then offered incentive “deals” to buy. How do you make the customer your top priority?

Well, the Toyota Motor Company (TM) may have the answer in a little test kitchen that the whole world can see - Scion. Here is a brand that has stated to have a volume cap in a growing segment. This is where my son (or even I) can go to a dealership and have an experience which is both predictable and pleasant. No price haggle needed here, just pick your color, radio and options, and sign the deal.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5675...-grim-forecast