Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

new 2.5l engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes the new "tc" is going to be a model based very heavily off the fuse. changes will be all the fancy gadgets and the huge b-pillar blind spot is reduced!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Please dont thow 4 day old trash at me out of the dumpster....so dont get me wrong... I think the Fuse is pretty cool looking as a prototype..but as a production model? it just doesnt blow sunshine up my skirt... its cool, but not practical in its prototype state. Did ya'll know that the current tC design is one of the ONLY vehicles in history to be a prototype design that 98% of the prototype made it to the production model? a rare feat. I just would be taken back if the Fuse makes that same leap.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
Please dont thow 4 day old trash at me out of the dumpster....so dont get me wrong... I think the Fuse is pretty cool looking as a prototype..but as a production model? it just doesnt blow sunshine up my skirt... its cool, but not practical in its prototype state. Did ya'll know that the current tC design is one of the ONLY vehicles in history to be a prototype design that 98% of the prototype made it to the production model? a rare feat. I just would be taken back if the Fuse makes that same leap.
he isn't, i've heard this rumor too, the tc replacement will be based off the fuse. and did you see the t2b intergalactic? looks an awful lot like the new xb doesn't it?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
he isn't, i've heard this rumor too, the tc replacement will be based off the fuse. and did you see the t2b intergalactic? looks an awful lot like the new xb doesn't it?
Hey I agree... wasnt looking at starting a war on here... and you didnt respond like that was starting.... I was just making the point that my own personal opinion is that there will be a lot less based off of the Fuse then what happened with the current tC design. I mean seriously... do you want to drive and customize an import sport compact that looks cool... or own a Fuse where to me it looks like a damn space ship.. especially on the inside.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the fuse thats to become the new is completly different. all that cool technology on the prototype will not be on the car (way to expensive)! again the huge b-pillar (look at the prototype) will be reduced to increase visability. also from what ive heard from reputable sources, the front fascia will be changed slighty. this is all in effort to reduce the cost i believe and to make it fit in with todays buyer demographics. the fuse is way ahead of its time in terms of styling and electronics. so only time will tell
Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont see why its hard to believe the new 2.5L is coming... i mean the 2.4 is pretty aged by now. and its in half of toyota's fleet. they wouldnt just replace SOME of them in rav4s and not in the rest of the line. making 2 engines that are almost the same is a waste of money.

and i bet the 2.5 gets better mileage due to better technologies in the head. the older 2.2Ls in the camrys got way worse mileage than our 2.4s.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watchin
Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by hunterUnknown
i dont see why its hard to believe the new 2.5L is coming... i mean the 2.4 is pretty aged by now. and its in half of toyota's fleet. they wouldnt just replace SOME of them in rav4s and not in the rest of the line. making 2 engines that are almost the same is a waste of money.

and i bet the 2.5 gets better mileage due to better technologies in the head. the older 2.2Ls in the camrys got way worse mileage than our 2.4s.
So what have you heard as far as improvements in the 2.5L ? you mentioned the head... does it have a different or modified valve train from what is in the 2.4? If this new plant is truly to come out, there's gotta be a good reason for it or Toyota would mess with it. I'd only consider a swap IF the new changes were ONLY in the head, and there was a big advantage over the one in our 2.4s. Hell I average 30mpg with mine and I live at near 6,000 ft. above sea level. i.e. you get better mileage the closer to sea level you are.... so 30mpg @ 6,000 ft. ....No complaints here :D
Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its mainly the dual vvti. its how the new 270~hp v6 makes 22city, which is more or less the same as what the current 2az is rated at. the bump in power also goes with the dual vvti, and of course the slight displacement increase.

i used to get 27-30mpg her e in vegas, before being supercharged.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...a-applies.html

"The four-cylinder engine is a low-friction design optimized for performance and fuel efficiency. It produces 179 hp (133 kW) at 6,000 rpm, along with 172 lb-ft (233 Nm) of torque at 4,000 rpm (versus 166 hp and 165 lb-ft of peak torque of the previous 2.4-liter engine). The 2.5-liter engine employs Dual independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), which controls timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts (compared to the intake-only previous 2.4-liter engine).

The redesigned four-cylinder engine is partnered with a new four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission that is more compact, lightweight and efficient than the previous four-speed transmission. Fuel efficiency is improved over the 2008 model with EPA mpg estimates of 22 city/28 highway on 4x2 models and 21 city/27 highway on 4x4 models. The corresponding 2008 models were rated at 21 city/27 highway and 20 city/25 highway, respectively."
Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

they should be the VQ engine under our hood
Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok well from what i have heard about talking to the scion sales manager over at a scion dealer around here is just about the 2.7L I-4 have not heard anything about the 2.5L. also he said that it will be out sometime next year and it has 190hp. thats all he really had to say about it. next time i see him ill ask him more about it. also he said that most of scion agreed that they all wanted to see a scion that was a strictly performance car and they want to go with stock turbo. he said its in design right now. thats going to be awesome IMO. def something i would trade my tc in for that beast.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

190hp awesome..wish it was 190whp though
Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

it sounds like from hunter's post that it appears to be top end tweaks for the engine. so a mod would be done fairly easily to the 2.4. I wouldnt do it for the hp gains which are minimal at best... As for the automatic trans... the only thing auto trans are good for are boat anchors.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There wont be any 2.5L tC's its all BS. The 09 is the last year of the tC, if a so called new engine is coming out it will be in the model that replaces the tC.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

nexus.... so where does your info come from? Have you seen articles on the future of the line? I'm not attacking... just looking to see what is actually going to happen to the line after 09.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bro look at the post above. the "prototype" fuse will be replacing the tc and to my guess will possibly have either the 2.5 or 2.7 but most likely the 2.5
Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by youngflyer
bro look at the post above. the "prototype" fuse will be replacing the tc and to my guess will possibly have either the 2.5 or 2.7 but most likely the 2.5
Well bro.... I had seen the Fuse prototype long before it was a topic on here. Dont get me wrong... as a concept I think its pretty cool looking. But as with most prototypes, a portion of it makes it to the actual production model. Now if they did the exterior in the production model I'd be realllllllly ____ed.... cause I just sold my 06 tC and my new 08 tC just came in and have been tricking it out.... the reason that would ____ me off is because I'd have a hard time not buying the 2010 model IF it looks like the Fuse.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

either way the a model based heavily off the fuse will be the next tc
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

so are youngflyer.... are ya using the force? or have you read that somewhere that you could share with the group so we can see to?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nexus.... so where does your info come from? Have you seen articles on the future of the line? I'm not attacking... just looking to see what is actually going to happen to the line after 09.
Ive read it somewhere on other forums ill try to find it. 09 is most likely the last year, I dont think they will keep the name of the tC since the fuse concept differs a lot from out current tC's. So 09 is the last year of the tC, so a tC with 2.5L engine is BS if there using a new engine it will be on the succesor of the tC.

Quick Reply: new 2.5l engine