Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

YATR: Yet Another Toyobaru Rumor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While I understand that it is unrealistic it's a shame it isn't this way.

What's so stupid about offering performance suspension/brakes for the low end SPORTS COUPE model?

Otherwise it's just a coupe...

The trends are this way because they upgrade EVERYTHING. What about...

Same tranny, same radiator (takes the flat-4..boxer..out of the equation) etc.

If they could use their brains, make an absolute "true to the word" base model then it would make sense to me and anyone high up.

While I understand that my reasoning is out of this world and idiotic in the money robbing stealership world of today, it wouldn't be this idiotic in an honest world.

Essentially each car would be the exact same except the engines the interior trim, and the suspension adjustments.

This would save Toyota an immense amount of money since they would not have to produce 3 different suspensions, have three different R&D teams, the different radiators, 3 different gear boxes, 3 different LSD's, 3 different brake setups, etc...

And then for the people who can afford to get the "extra's" can pay out the butt for even better suspension or brakes or LSD's or radiators or we Toyota decides is the most expensive over priced labor charged package for the public. So now the scion money making system is in effect. Offer a base model with goodies, and then give the consumer/customer 126 different styling options.

So sure the common trend is very uneconomical for both the company and the people buying the car, but why should it remain this way?

Why can't a company save some money while they are at it?

My goal/dream would be extremely realistic if they just used their brains a little bit.

So like I said before, these days with this common sense of thinking, and these money wasting production ideals sure my goals seem unrealistic. But in maybe a near distant future where saving money is part of the game and 10 year goals are the actual goal instead of quarter based goals that are part of the 10 year plan, then sure logically my "stupid thinking" would make sense.

So while I keep dreaming and you keep shutting me down and not even see the light towards my ideas maybe Toyota is reading this and going...____ I can't beleive we have never thought of this before...

Or maybe not and I'm just an idiot that fly's helicopters...

in good regards,

Regis

P.S would it make you feel better if the prices were as follows? 20k, 25k, 30k? Sure that would seem great for toyota, but what about the guy who finds a used S2000 for 25k with 30k on the odo with more hp, lighter weight (most likely) better aftermarket following etc...?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

What's so stupid about offering performance suspension/brakes for the low end SPORTS COUPE model?
Because they'll never be able to keep the cost down if they have high end performance parts on a cheap car. If they were to do that and wanted to meet that target price of $20,000, they would have to take the suspension/brakes from an STi and match it up with a Yaris chassis/interior. It would be the biggest piece of ____ on the market. High performance sports car are expensive for a reason. They can't just tune down the horsepower and magically cut the price in half. If they wanted to make a cheap sports coupe, it would be just that, cheap. You're trying to suggest that they make a Corvette killer for $20,000. It won't happen. Even if they go with the bare minimum on everything, it won't happen. Look at the Ariel Atom. Absolutely nothing buy performance. No A/C, no windows, no doors, no speakers, no carpet...nothing It costs $40,000-$100,000 depending on how much y

The trends are this way because they upgrade EVERYTHING. What about...

Same tranny, same radiator (takes the flat-4..boxer..out of the equation) etc.

If they could use their brains, make an absolute "true to the word" base model then it would make sense to me and anyone high up.

While I understand that my reasoning is out of this world and idiotic in the money robbing stealership world of today, it wouldn't be this idiotic in an honest world.

Essentially each car would be the exact same except the engines the interior trim, and the suspension adjustments.
Again, so you're paying an extra $10,000 for what? A few extra horsepower and a "tuned" suspension, which is the EXACT same suspension as the base model? I would NEVER want to buy that car. How is the current process a scam, if you're getting more for paying more, when you're trying to suggest that they should give us a ton of stuff for barely anything or charge us an assload for nothing?

This would save Toyota an immense amount of money since they would not have to produce 3 different suspensions, have three different R&D teams, the different radiators, 3 different gear boxes, 3 different LSD's, 3 different brake setups, etc...

And then for the people who can afford to get the "extra's" can pay out the butt for even better suspension or brakes or LSD's or radiators or we Toyota decides is the most expensive over priced labor charged package for the public. So now the scion money making system is in effect. Offer a base model with goodies, and then give the consumer/customer 126 different styling options.
These options that Scion offer are all minute direct bolt-ons. They're cheap little gimmicks, not engine swaps. The most complex thing they offer is the S/C, which shockingly got discontinued, why? Because no one wanted it. The majority of the people that did get it, got it for cheaper than what the dealer was charging for it. Even if they did offer a complete engine swap, who the hell would ever want to do that? The only people who would, probably have the knowledge to 1) do it themselves, or 2) do it for a hell of a lot cheaper, and if Toyota made it that easy to swap, then it's all the more reason to NOT go to Toyota for it.
People don't like changing things in their cars. I don't know if you're realizing this, but probably around 95% of Scion owners haven't done a single thing to their car AFTER taking delivery. They let the dealer install a few things when they buy it, and that's it. Sure, there are a lot of modded Scions out there, but there are a hell of a lot more bone stock ones.

So sure the common trend is very uneconomical for both the company and the people buying the car, but why should it remain this way?
How is the common trend uneconomical? It's been the common trend for decades, so it's obviously working for the company and the consumer.

P.S would it make you feel better if the prices were as follows? 20k, 25k, 30k? Sure that would seem great for toyota, but what about the guy who finds a used S2000 for 25k with 30k on the odo with more hp, lighter weight (most likely) better aftermarket following etc...?
Don't try to bring used cars into the mix, it's a never ending cycle. You cannot compare a used car to a new car. If you could, why would anyone ever buy an S2000 or a 350Z, when they could buy a 3-4 year old Corvette and have better everything? Or I could go out and spend $15,000 on a late 90's Camaro and have a 10 second car. Or I could spend $5,000 on an early 90's Miata and have a small car that handles like it's on rails.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when we were shopping for cars and got our tC, we really wanted the Mazda3, but they were costing in upwards of $25k for same options minus HID in the tC. If Toyota plays it smart, they'll go after Korea this time since they are the ones stealing the thunder with the Genesis coupe. like it or not, THAT is the trendsetter and another mediocre Camry coupe will not cut it these days. The tC IS nice, but it's a Camry coupe. the time of cheap(er) sport compacts is coming back( albeit bigger cars still), there are already 2 Fit designs since the tC came out. the car does have staying power, but now it's just another car. Scion is just another make. Scion is gonna need some spark in the next car.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump - any more news on this?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's been rumors of a new MR2 coming out, but this might be what it's based on. What a let down if it is. If the engine has to be in the front, for me the badge will always say B-M-W... (or Nissan). Toyota should stuff that 2GR in the middle of a car, like a lot of sw20 and aw11 owners are in the process of doing.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Early Merry X-mas boys and girls...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/toyko-2009-preview-toyota-ft-86-concept-brings-back-the-hachiro/
Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not a fan of swirling rims but that looks SICK!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

From the side view, the hood line/fender look just like the RX8 and the a-pillar/b-pillar/roof line look EXACTLY like the GTR.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd rock it. Or at least put it on my list for now.

New thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172939
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far the thing I can comment on, from my sources, was that the new replacement for the tC will keep the tC badge, like the xB did. It WILL be FWD and a Toyota Engine. And, uinfortunately will not be on the FT-86 platform. My sources are fairly reliable, however I know this information can still change last minute. I so wanna know what Scion is planning. I still think that if they drop in the 2.5 or 2.7DVVT-i engines ;) with an AWD system (2004-2005 RAV4, or 09-10 Matrix) they could still keep the car under 20,000! Afterall all they have to do is use pre-existing tech, and not vary the production, like the way they've been doing, to keep production costs down! Hmm...DVVT-i L anyone? heh heh...I know, I know, but still would be nice.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10370037-48.html

Seems like this might finally be the real deal.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-bN-9TqWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezrmU9YayHs&feature=fvw
Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Phyre76
So far the thing I can comment on, from my sources, was that the new replacement for the tC will keep the tC badge, like the xB did. It WILL be FWD and a Toyota Engine. And, uinfortunately will not be on the FT-86 platform. My sources are fairly reliable, however I know this information can still change last minute. I so wanna know what Scion is planning. I still think that if they drop in the 2.5 or 2.7DVVT-i engines ;) with an AWD system (2004-2005 RAV4, or 09-10 Matrix) they could still keep the car under 20,000! Afterall all they have to do is use pre-existing tech, and not vary the production, like the way they've been doing, to keep production costs down! Hmm...DVVT-i L anyone? heh heh...I know, I know, but still would be nice.
I'm not a brand-*****, I'll be interested in the FT-86 regardless whichever brand it's under. I've said this before, but up till now Toyota has failed in it's original intent for it's Scion brand; Toyota said that they originated the Scion brand in an effort to gain new customers who wouldn't have considered them in the past, and after they'd purchased a Scion they'd move on to other cars in the Toyota/Lexus family. They succeeded in the first part - they got me to buy a Toyota product when nothing up till that point had interested me... However, they utterly failed in bringing ANYTHING to market so far that that would bridge the gap between the tC I bought, and the Corolla/Camry/Avalon that I'll buy when I'm 60 and looking for something boring and reliable (or the IS250/350/etc that I'll buy when I'm rich and irresponsible). What am I supposed to buy, coming from a tC? Am I supposed to jump from a $16k tC to a $32k IS250? To a $20k family-style Matrix??

This is finally something that I would be looking to make the jump to, as long as it comes in at the following: $20-23k, 2500-2700lbs, 170-200hp. All else is negotiable...
Old 10-11-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what if the FT86 is in a game? GT4 had NSX replacement( never happened), Acura DNX( never happened but looks like the new Civic), the first GTR interation, the Soltice concept coupe( came out a vert). there's all kinds of concepts to make it fun. I feel the game will have these updates like Forza does. am i wrong?

let me edit this. the new tC couldn't be rwd for a couple reasons. core buyer. it WILL be a bigger car. that's automobile economics. it WILL have another truck engine. too bad. the 2.4 can be over 200hp NA with higher compression. but we'll most likely see the 2.7L 175HP version. And it will look like the Fuse with a slightly modified tail. My friend saw it. it looked like a Fuse. 5Axis designs Scions. not Toyota. altho the iQ had nothing to do with 5Axis until they put that bodykit on it. And I saw a lexus rendering of the iQ today....

Last edited by JDMJim; 10-11-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
so what if the FT86 is in a game? GT4 had NSX replacement( never happened), Acura DNX( never happened but looks like the new Civic), the first GTR interation, the Soltice concept coupe( came out a vert). there's all kinds of concepts to make it fun. I feel the game will have these updates like Forza does. am i wrong?

let me edit this. the new tC couldn't be rwd for a couple reasons. core buyer. it WILL be a bigger car. that's automobile economics. it WILL have another truck engine. too bad. the 2.4 can be over 200hp NA with higher compression. but we'll most likely see the 2.7L 175HP version. And it will look like the Fuse with a slightly modified tail. My friend saw it. it looked like a Fuse. 5Axis designs Scions. not Toyota. altho the iQ had nothing to do with 5Axis until they put that bodykit on it. And I saw a lexus rendering of the iQ today....

Yea I agree about the game thing but i highly doubt this wont go through because this has been in talk a long time. there is a concept car being shown here shortly and Its what the new man at the head of Toyota wants.

It wouldve been nice to have a 200hp NA tc from the get go but then again look who the buying core is supposed to be. 16-mid 20's is what it is truly supposed to be marketed too. 200hp NA would not be a good car for a 16-18yr old and then insurance rates would prolly be higher than they already are.

Oh and the pontiac solstice coupe actually came out was supposed to come out earlier this year. But then Pontiac became no more.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It would be nice to have atleast 185hp in the car on an even stronger engine. Toyota knows there will be a huge aftermarket for such so hopefully they will make a good product (like the tC back 4-5 yrs ago). Scion is all about evolution that that is what will be important to see how well this car does. I want to see something come out similar to the links above - but performance has to be there. Do what hyundai did and offer a sport package. Its just hard to have a car that sports-car-like with 150hp ..... ya know?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so how come no one did any motor swaps in tC's? now finding out about the 2ZZ fitting in the xD and such, I started to wonder, this engine makes more power AND is lighter AND has a lot of aftermarket backing.....why not in the tC?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

to be honest, this looks a lot like the Lexus LFA..at least from the side:

Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Free post haha. Holy thread revival.

On topic...
Originally Posted by JDMJim
so how come no one did any motor swaps in tC's? now finding out about the 2ZZ fitting in the xD and such, I started to wonder, this engine makes more power AND is lighter AND has a lot of aftermarket backing.....why not in the tC?
Q:Why no 2ZZ in the tC?
A:Lack of torque.