Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

Some Needed Sections

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That's understandable. But if they were looking to join a club wouldn't they look in thier regional forum first to see what is available to them?

I wonder what Darrens take on this is, besides it being more work for him.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Old 09-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm watching this.... going to rearrange things soon and all of these opinions will be taken into consideration.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

As far as the multi-regional shows, what we have done in the past is posted the event in other regions, added a pointer to one main thread and then locked the others. This way people see the post and can click on it and all the responses and info are kept to one thread instead of being repeated regionally. The problem I see with the separate forum is that people will then be linking the events to their regions and duplicating the posts still.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

But when you post it and lock it, it ends up dropping out of site fairly fast. Unless you were to make them all stickies, but that would be a PITA.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too bad they couldn't be 'linked' like files in a UNIX system. That way, there could be just one common thread, but seperate 'links' to it in each place it would be of interest. (I.E. One common thread on "Event X" and a subject line appearance in each adjacent region that took one directly to that single thread.)

In other words, a single thread with 'aliases' appearing elsewhere that take a user to it...

Darren? Possible?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

a new request for a FI forum...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...412&highlight=
Old 10-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea they need to be added eventually...

scott
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think there is a need for all the different forums.

tread and butter: most of the posts are about
- what kind of tires should i use
- what kind of rims are good
- what size wheel should i go with

that is something can go into all sections since anyone with common wheel and tire knowledge can answer the questions.

Forced Induction:
The only place for this i can see is the tC area, but that is a stretch. 99% of the posts are about
- is the super charger out
- what do i need to turbo my car
- who makes a turbo for my car

the reality is that 99.99999% of the people making the posts will not go with forced induction. adding a forced induction for the xA and xB section will pointless. there is only about 2-5 people with an actual system installed and everyone else just like stated above is just going to ask questions.

ICE and Interior:
No need for a separate section. you can do all the same painting and mods to the interior of both cars. the only difference is the audio pics people post up. do we really need to have a separate section for that? not really. all 3 models use the same exact headunit and all the functions are the same. we are going to end up with tons of double posts of the same question that can be used in both topics.

General Scion forum:
I believe this is needed. There are so many posts about
- what should i know when looking at a car
- what are my financing options
- what accessories can i choose from

that i think a general area for all these posts will help clean up the general forums for all models.

that is my logical view behing everything
Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

wasn't it all split up at one point and then made into what we have now? they also took the photo section out. thats the only one i complained about. but hey..its all good.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sam i disagree.

the whole setup for tC and xB/xA is TOTALLY different in respects to offsets, lugs, and spacings. it is completely different in almost every respect except "Does this look good" and generic stuff like that.

maybe ICE I can see your opinion a little, but it still needs to be split up. the interiors are immensely different and unique. i think tC should be made along with xB/xA for ICE, interior, electrical. (lights are different, dash is differnet, sunroofs factory vs. not, etc are many examples).

scott
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I say split up ICE into [ICE + electrical] and [interior] with only the interior having an xA/xB and tC splitting.

I second the General Scion Forum, although I fear it will be the gathering place for every question, worse than the general forums are now.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ikonXone
i don't think there is a need for all the different forums.

Forced Induction:
The only place for this i can see is the tC area, but that is a stretch. 99% of the posts are about
- is the super charger out
- what do i need to turbo my car
- who makes a turbo for my car

the reality is that 99.99999% of the people making the posts will not go with forced induction. adding a forced induction for the xA and xB section will pointless. there is only about 2-5 people with an actual system installed and everyone else just like stated above is just going to ask questions.

ICE and Interior:
No need for a separate section. you can do all the same painting and mods to the interior of both cars. the only difference is the audio pics people post up. do we really need to have a separate section for that? not really. all 3 models use the same exact headunit and all the functions are the same. we are going to end up with tons of double posts of the same question that can be used in both topics.

that i think a general area for all these posts will help clean up the general forums for all models.

that is my logical view behing everything
could not disagree more...

tread and butter i just do not care about in any way shape or form...
wish we could ban all posts about them...IMO...

the FI is needed. and most of the folks i know are xB asking about true technical info.
6 of the 7 FI people i personally know are xB'ers (that leaves one tC.).
I do think FI should be a general forum for all models (not under tC)

interior should be out of ICE what does leater seats have to do with a killer stereo???

i do agree on the general scion forum
Old 10-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, everyone has an opinion...

The only thing common between the "xA/xB" and "tC" wheels/tires is appearance issues. I doubt that any tC folks really care about 4x100 15 inchers, etc. Separate the four bolts and five bolts.

FI is not a "tC only" issue. When it comes to fine details there are massive difference in actual installations, but for the overall tech knowledge is common to all engines. A common FI forum makes more sense - and keeps it out of the hair af all the 'NA' folks.

Leather seats, bleeding ears, and flashing colored lights have little in common, other than they all happen to be inside cars...

"Audio," "Interiors," and "Electrical" seem to be more logical divides. If those were the divides, audio, overall, is much less tied to specific models than interior 'fashion' details, and could easily be an non-model-specific forum. Same with electrical, basic electrical theory and behavior doesn't care about model - unless one is after a particular wire hidden in the fascia. A common forum about non-audio electrics would be fine. As to interior fashion items - tC and xA/xB are quite different, and should likely be separate.

All that being said, the only thing I see as an essential change is someplace to put things that affect ALL Scions - either that or a way to tie multiple "placeholder" posts to ONE topic as I brought up about eight posts ago in this thread...

Darren has said he is currently 're-designing' and 're-writing' ScionLife and we do not know what he has envisioned other than something about subdirectories for grouping things. Darren? Anything more you could share with us?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the only differenence is bolt pattern, people will be ok looking at one section for wheels and tires. tires are going to fit all rims the same. there wouldn't be a need to split up rims and tires into different sections. there will be a lot of double posts asking the same questions.

i can see some points about putting interior into different parts, but ice can still be in one. wiring up a stereo is the same in every car. the parts needed to wire up a 12" sub will be the exact same in all three models.

as for FI, i am thinking about everything overall. there is only two kits available for the xA and xB and only a handful of people actually have them. the tC on the other hand has a dealer option for a supercharger. the need would be to just have one section for both. if people were interested in FI, then there would be more discussion about it. people can talk all they want off the website, but what counts is what is discussed here.

i have been here since just about the beginning looking at all the different sections we had over the time. if there was a need for something it would be talked about a lot more then just a few requests by a couple members. we have had some of the sections that are mentioned and they never got much use.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

there are more than two kits for the A + B.
there are three superchargers and a handfull of turbos.

it should be general FI. think of the future as well as the past.
we could be getting more power options on he upcoming new models.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Bump -- haven't forgotten about this.... will be part of some future changes coming soon.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Any update?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like Darren is opening the new addition - there are a whole lot of new rooms and the old ones have been renamed...

It will take some getting used to, but it looks really good so far. :D
Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, stayed up late tonight to get to this... locking this topic and starting a new one so I can easily keep myself on top of the situation.