Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

DC Sports 4-1 Header Installation onto xA/xB

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok guys need some help, I just put my OBX 4-2-1 header on and now when WOT I hear a leak. Picked up some sea foam to help locate the leak and it l think I have pin pointed it to the donut gasket.... so where can I get another one with out paying an arm and a leg...thanks guys
Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a new decent one from toyota dealer.

Here's a cool site...
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html
Old 11-03-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I tried to do this today. COULD NOT TAKE OFF THOSE 2 DAMN BOLTS!!!! i was frustrated as hell, took me 3 hours. Then i had to put it all back together and decided to let a shop do it! There is just NO space to work with down there with those 2 bolts! Craziness i tell you! i'm just so damn ____ed right now.....i did everything in the write-up, it just doesn't work with the xb...Going to cost me like $200 to get it done at a shop and I think it's worth every penny.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I'm barrel-chested and it was a tight fit under the car with ramps. A lot of crying and P B'Laster helped get the job done. Remember, they are spring-loaded bolts. This means there's another force that is hold those bolts on tight. A cheater bar and a friend close to a phone to call 911 helps a ton.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

isn't there a "special tool" to take those off?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 AM

you guys think the mechanics at a dealership could take off that rounded nut on my header?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They should be able to. They're also the kings of making the nuts round. No offense. Personal experience.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superboxcarxb
isn't there a "special tool" to take those off?

No special tools needed. You'll need an extension for the socket wrench so you won't have to reach your hand in too far. I also combined a pipe to extend the handle of the socket wrench for more leverage. With steady hands you'll be able to unscrew those 2 spring bolts with no problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member

Default gas mileage?

Just a Q to everyone who's installed this on their box: Have you noticed an increase in gas mileage? I'm looking to get the best mpg and I can pick one of these up cheap.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Nothing noticable in my case.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbszero69
Nothing noticable in my case.
Any decrease? Any difference at all? Is it worth putting on? A friend said that with the 02 sensor moving, it could hurt more than help the mpg... Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I'm happy with it, was noticable in the high RPM range, seems to have a little more oomph up high, i did an exhaust and intake too, around the same time, and to me it was worth it. I have the DC, and i didn't have to move the 02 sensor.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bbszero69
I'm happy with it, was noticable in the high RPM range, seems to have a little more oomph up high, i did an exhaust and intake too, around the same time, and to me it was worth it. I have the DC, and i didn't have to move the 02 sensor.
What do you get for gas mileage with all your mods?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I get 32/33, but i'm not easy on the skinny pedal at all. i commute 30 miles each way on the freeway, run 70/75mph most of the way.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Going to try this install today. Got an ebay header so I'll see how well that works out for me. I have an ebay exhaust that I've had on for the last 50,000 miles, and it sounds great! Not bad for ebay.
This write-up seems pretty simple. Not too many steps to install a new header. I'm just fearing those dreaded spring-loaded bolts everyone has been talking about. I have 73,000 miles on my '06, so hopefully after some good WD-40 love I'll have no problem with these bolts.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

hit them with PB Blaster every day for 4 or 5 days before your install. you'll be happy you did!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shortbusxb
Going to try this install today. Got an ebay header so I'll see how well that works out for me. I have an ebay exhaust that I've had on for the last 50,000 miles, and it sounds great! Not bad for ebay.
This write-up seems pretty simple. Not too many steps to install a new header. I'm just fearing those dreaded spring-loaded bolts everyone has been talking about. I have 73,000 miles on my '06, so hopefully after some good WD-40 love I'll have no problem with these bolts.
dude, get ready for some major crying! here is my story: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180727
Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anybody tried doing this with air tools? Good grief, those spring-loaded bolts are tough. What doesn't help is the lack of arm room I have to work the socket wrench.
Also, I like how you can't even see the 5 screws on the header. I just have to feel my way to each one??
With time I probably could have finished this today, but I had a very small time frame to do it.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shortbusxb
Has anybody tried doing this with air tools? Good grief, those spring-loaded bolts are tough. What doesn't help is the lack of arm room I have to work the socket wrench.
Also, I like how you can't even see the 5 screws on the header. I just have to feel my way to each one??
With time I probably could have finished this today, but I had a very small time frame to do it.
Yes, you cant see them making it 10000000x more difficult. they are practically welded on there, they are so tight. i give you kudos if u finish tongiht. check my first post right above yours on this thread about my story
Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

With the help of one other person, we were able to change out my header in about three hours. Having never done the swap before, I'm sure it could be done in less than one hour with the right knowledge and tools. Peanut Butter Blaster is your friend.

Quick Reply: DC Sports 4-1 Header Installation onto xA/xB