Notices
xD Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xD

Pulley Install (NST, Underdrive Crank)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just an update, it is warming up in AZ and I have been useing the AC every afternoon and have ZERO issues! Works flawless!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is in... took longer to get the tools out than to do the install... The instructions here are bang on! This is a very, very easy DIY for anyone still considering it!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet! looks nice... any troubles getting that stock pulley off?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

None... Had to wobble from side to side a bit, but it slid off by hand. No gear puller needed. Mine is an 08, bought early in the release with about 20K on it.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear all the positive feedback so far. Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got mine on! Very nice - I'm liking it. As for feel, I don't notice a huge difference in acceleration or low-end "pull", but there might be some there. I didn't quantify anything before/after. I DO notice less engine braking - i.e. when I leave the car in gear and take my foot off the gas, it coasts smoother and farther. It also seems to shift a little easier - well, not "shift" per se, but the engine seems to re-engage more smoothly as I release the clutch. Does that make sense? A little hard to describe. Between that and the NST SS bushings, though, shifting overall feels a lot nicer than it did new! :D

Overall, installation went quite easily. The pulley came off with my electric impact (el cheapo, rated at 240 ft-lbs). It had to hammer for a few seconds, but then it spun right off. I used a deep imact socket, which fit under the wheel well just fine. I would recommend one of these - I definitely couldn't have gotten a secure bite on the bolt with a standard (shallow) socket. To put the bolt back on, I just let the impact hammer a "few" times - my torque wrench just spun the pulley.
Other thoughts on installation -
1. The black plastic splash guards are annoying. If you have a socket adapter for your cordless drill, I highly recommend dropping a 10mm socket on there - much quicker than turning those little bolts by hand.
2. Moving the alternator BACK to loosen the belt was probably the hardest part for me. When I loosened the tensioning bolt, the bolt just came out - it didn't actually push the alt back. So I ended up tapping it back bit by bit with a dead-blow mallet - minor PITA. Re-tightening the belt was no problem - tightening the tension bolt with a ratchet snugged it up just fine. Don't forget the second bolt - just under the long tensioning one.
3. Removing the stock pulley (after I had the bolt out) was a little tougher than I thought - it didn't just slide right off. I had to wiggle it little bits at a time, and get it at just the right angle, and it eventually came off by hand.
4. Getting the new one on wasn't too bad - carefully line up the keyway slot, start it by hand, and tap it on gently with a dead-blow mallet. This seated it just fine, and then it was just a matter of re-assembling everything.

Thanks to NST for a great accessory to give me a smoother, more efficient car! Looking forward to watching the mileage! (I'm already considering doing this on my Vibe... )
Andy
Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed my pulley this weekend. Very smooth install as well. My only concern is the torque on the pulley bolt. Once I got it to a certain torque the pulley would spin and there is no easy way of holding the pulley stationery to get a good torque on it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I got it tight enough. Great product and great DIY thread. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 AM

Default I want one (NST), but......

Originally Posted by NonStopTuning
Please share your thoughts and comments with us in this thread everyone.
The more user reviews, the better.

FAQ #1: I am interested in this pulley. Where can I order one?
ANSWER: http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToySciXD.html

FAQ #2: Will I need to use a shorter belt for this pulley?
ANSWER: No, the OEM belt is compatible with this pulley.

I will add more FAQs as the are brought to my attention.

I want one for our car, but it's automatic trans., will it make a difference at all?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YES! Weight reduction leads to noticeable improvements in throttle response, acceleration, and MPG whether used with a manual or auto trans.

We have a very large number of customers who use our pulley kits on automatic cars. We have a few of these pulleys in stock and ready for immediate shipping if you're interested.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 AM

Default How much?

YES! Weight reduction leads to noticeable improvements in throttle response, acceleration, and MPG whether used with a manual or auto trans.

We have a very large number of customers who use our pulley kits on automatic cars. We have a few of these pulleys in stock and ready for immediate shipping if you're interested.

How will it cost me to ship to 94591?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM

Default Colors?

What colors are available?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Colors?

Originally Posted by W_22

What colors are available?
Red and Gray are always in stock. We have a few Gold and Blue in stock at the moment.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have one on my auto trans and am very pleased. The biggest difference is in the fuel economy. Per the cars computer, I am averaging about 1.5-2 MPG better per tank. This is based on 75% highway miles but still. The pulley will pay for itself in less than a year.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 PM
SL Member

Well the install seems pretty easy, but I cannot get the crank bolt off. I borrowed my brothers electric impact gun that he uses at his body shop. I dont know what its rated for but he said it was $150 so I thought it would be up to the challange. I guess I gotta wait another week to get this thing on.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure if this will help, but make sure if your impact isn't above the 300ft lb. area to not use an extension when trying to remove the bolt, thats what worked for me. you'll need a deepwell to get on the bolt, just keep trying, may come off after a few tries.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wanted to share - I was so pleased with the NST pulley on my xD that I bought one for my 03 Vibe (5spd man). Just got it installed this weekend, and it's great! Feels like slightly quicker throttle response and smoother shifts, especially on the low end, and less engine drag when coasting in gear in all ranges. Thanks, NST! Keep up the good work!
Andy
Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sv650m
Well the install seems pretty easy, but I cannot get the crank bolt off. I borrowed my brothers electric impact gun that he uses at his body shop. I dont know what its rated for but he said it was $150 so I thought it would be up to the challange. I guess I gotta wait another week to get this thing on.
as cobaltbravo said, you are going to want a STRONG impact wrench. my 250lb wouldnt budge it, had to switch to the 550lb, which took a few tries. this was a pneumatic type. also make sure you are not using an extension, it will take the "impact" out of the impact gun. as stated, you will probably have to use a deep socket if the wheel well is getting in the way.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM
SL Member

I might try again today. My brother told me a couple tricks to use. Im not using an extension. My parents have all the tools I need up at their house. If I cant get it in I will be making a trip up there. It just sucks having this pulley sitting around for two weeks staring at me instead of in my car.

I just looked the impact gun up online, its only rated for 150 ftlbs so there is my problem. I wont even bother trying it again today and will just wait for the weekend.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Now at 28,000 miles & rocking on my pulley! Gas mileage has been amazing. Now that it is super HOT this summer, I have had zero issues with the stereotype of an underdrive pulley vs. AC and I am in AZ. Worth every penny guys! Cannot recommend one more!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just ordered mine

Quick Reply: Pulley Install (NST, Underdrive Crank)