Notices
xD Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xD

Shifter Cage Bushing Install (Dr Isotope)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from my understanding, all three SSK units are machined aluminum. NST had to of tested the SS bushings. what kind of company wouldnt stress test their products while going thru R&D? In fact, if your reading this NST, pls explain how this could happen. first your pulley that you cant acually tourqe down ruins a sensor in a guys engine, and now your bushings have destoyed your own product on my trans. i'm raising the bull____ flag on this. i'm calling them after work today to get some answers.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On a different note, I installed the Dr. Isotope's cage bushings and love them. I wasn't happy with the stock shifting and didn't know what the problem was, and now it's better than what I was hoping for. GOOD CALL
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you like them! Surprising how much of a difference it makes!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any walk through with installing the delrin bushings for the shifter cables? I got them and and can't figure how to get them on. The cable loop looks to be one solid piece.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remove pin... remove washer, lift cable from linkage.

Remove OEM rubber bushings (I pushed mine out with a screwdriver - didn't hurt it either). Put one side of new bushing down on linkage, small side up. Put cable down onto bushing and be sure it snaps into place. Put other side of bushing down onto cable, small side down this time. Make sure it snaps into place.

You do NOT reuse the washer. Just make sure the pin fits and you're done.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

called mike at NST the other day, he said they havnt had any problems with the SS bushings eating the SSK, he thinks theres something wrong with the one i have possibly. he told me there's a one year warranty and he can replace both of them for me, but i told him i dont want the SS bushings back, as i haver these sweet new delrin bushings from Dr. isotope that came it yesterday. for those having trouble installing them, you may need to remove the u clip on the shift linkage to raise up the shift cable so everything will line up. i had planned on getting the internal SSK from NST at some point, but after this debacle i dont think i will.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
called mike at NST the other day, he said they havnt had any problems with the SS bushings eating the SSK, he thinks theres something wrong with the one i have possibly. he told me there's a one year warranty and he can replace both of them for me, but i told him i dont want the SS bushings back, as i haver these sweet new delrin bushings from Dr. isotope that came it yesterday. for those having trouble installing them, you may need to remove the u clip on the shift linkage to raise up the shift cable so everything will line up. i had planned on getting the internal SSK from NST at some point, but after this debacle i dont think i will.
I'd think in return for him not having to exchange/refund you for the bushings he should at the very least give you a good discount on the internal SSK.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just spoke with mike a few minutes ago to get the shipping adress for the damaged parts. sorry it took so long, buy buying a house and packing have forced everything else to the backburner. mike was very helpful and let me know that they havnt had any other problems with the SSK reported to them, and that mine may just be a fluke. i suspect maybe the xd is possibly at fault, as no other problems have been reported. the customer service with NST is great, mike told me to ship it back to them so they can take a look at it and see if it was a manufaturing issue, and he'll be happy to send out a replacement or refund for the parts, as NST's products come with a one year warranty. for those looking at getting a SSK, this is the only time ive heard of this problem happening, so do your research and get all the info before making a purchase. thank you mike for being patient and providing great service.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 AM

Today I decided to change out the cage bushings with Dr Isotope's bushings, and change the boot to a redline boot with a Dr. Isotope ****. Figured I would do it all at once since I was digging in. I had no idea what a bushing was when I started and this DIY was AWESOME! I marched right through it without any problems at all.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're very welcome. Glad it was helpful. How do you like the results of the bushings?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 AM

I had already put on the TRD SSK with the realigner piece (that was a B**** to get on) and the SSK made a huge difference. The Cage bushings make another leap to where I am very happy with the shifting. I had thought I would do the cable bushings next, but think I am done. It is shifting great. I also changed out the fluid for Redline....so I am done with the transmission mods I think...thanks again.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 PM

I know this is some thread necromancy, but can anyone point me to a place with better instructions than the TRD ones for installing the spacer bracket?
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you read this? https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123854
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 AM

ok thanks ill give it another go. I think i know where it is now
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got around to installing the cage bushings. Thanks for the write up and pictures is made the job much easier. To me the cable bushings made a bigger difference but these are still way worth it. Hats off to Dr Isotope for providing two cost effective mods for the xD!