Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HELP!!! AUDIO NOISE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP!!! AUDIO NOISE PROBLEM

Just installed a new system useing the Stock Pioneer AVIC 900 head unit. Turned it on last night for the first time and it was AWESOME! Crystal clear and clean. I did find one RCA that had to moved around to make a good connection and I know it will need to be replaced. But tonight I turned it on to let my kids hear it and it sucked!!!! It had an ECHO LOOP that was at least 10 to 15 seconds long. I have not pinpointed it yet, but I am going to start with the RCA plugs at the amp where the original problem was.

Any other ideas? I hate problems.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 AM

i believe i'm having the same problem with my car. been busy, and haven't had time to get in there and fix it. keep me posted on what the problem was if you get to fixing it before i do, and i will do the same.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^DEAL^^ I got my stuff through Crutchfield. I have to say they have been great in the customer service and tech support areas! That said, the fact that I already have an issue with the Rockford Fosgate RCA leads, they are overnighting me a 4 chanel RCA wire set. It will be better quality to start with, so we will see. To the best I can tell, my grounds are good. I noticed that if I turn the key to where the power steering pump runs, I get a lot more noise then when I back the key up 1 notch. It is still in my closed garage, so I have not run the engine yet to see what that sounds like. I may still have engine noise to deal with before I am done, but I want to get rid of the static noise issue before I start trying to chase other noises at the same time. I am also thinking of running a grounding kit for the engine and frame. There is no substitute for good quality grounds. I want to hear what you guys have to say and I will try to keep everyone posted as to what I find.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm i dont know to much about the audio ..but did u try playing with the gains on the amp...or if you a and EQ play with the volume on that
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Echo loop? Could you describe it further, or perhaps get a video/sound clip? I'm not quite sure what you're talking about hehe
Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Echo Loop is when any sound produced is produced over and over and over and over and over and over until it fades away. Think what that would sound like with all the sounds produced in a song!!! It was WILD and continued for a long time till I shut off the power.

UPDATE.... I have 2 amps, one 4ch and one sub amp. I unpluged all the RCA inputs to both amps and left the speakers and power connected. Turned the power on and the system was SILENT!!! So I powered down and hooked up the RCA's to the sub amp, powered up and the sub was clear with no noise or distortion.

I then moved to the 4ch amp. With all RCA's unpluged, it was silent also. I then hooked up one pair of RCA's to the front inputs and it was clean. Moved that pair to the rear inputs and it was clear.

Then I pulled that pair of RCA's out and hooked up the other pair to the front inputs and it sounded like crap. Moved that pair to the rear inputs and it sounded like crap.

Then I called Crutchfield and they are sending a 4ch patch cord overnight at no charge. they are called "StreetWires ZN7435 Zero Noise" and are designed to knock out noise. We will see.....

So it seems that I had a bad RCA set. The problem is that the bad wire came in a 2 amp kit from Rockford Fosgate. I also purchased an extra patch cord for the sub amp input and it was MUCH BETTER quality then the Rockford set. Wish I had never purchased that kit. It was expensive and I was not impressed with the quality from the start.

It's Tuesday night and I will get the new 4ch patch cord via UPS tomorrow. I will get it installed tomorrow night and then update here with the results. I sure hope it sounds clean. That's all I care about. Clean sound quality. The one time it sounded good, it was AWESOME!!!! I have never had a stereo like this, so I am getting excited to get to the end of this project and start bumpin in da B!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure RCAs would cause an echo sound... Sounds like something electronic. A faulty RCA might cause static noise or crackling... Odd. Let us know what happens.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FINAL UPDATE.... Got the new patch cord set in and installed it tonight. Before I buried the wire under the carpet, I hooked it up to the amp and the system was silent. I installed some music on an SD card and put it on pause, then turned it up and it was still silent. Turned the A/C fan on, compressor, headlights etc, then started the engine and still silent. I then ran the RCA wire under teh carpet right where the other one was and it is still quiet. At this point I have driven the vehicle several miles and the system sounds great. No popping, hissing, echos or anything else.

Lesson learned..... Spend extra money on top quality RCA cords!!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm. thats a strange problem for sure. Glad you got it resolved!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Echo loop and good customer service

I have never heard of such a thing before! Normally, when you have a signal feeding back on itself via cables, it goes to full feedback instantly. I've had newbie sound techs run tape decks (remember those?) in a loop on our Mackie mixer and the errors of their ways were instantly presented (cost us a few drivers, too). My first guess is that there was a problem inside the head unit, as the only way to get a signal back into an HU is thru the AUX-IN jack. Sounds like a internal software glitch that may have been induced by a stray signal load. Glad to hear that the problem was solved and about the service you got from Crutchfield, too. See, it does pay a little more so you get good customer service.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I can see what your saying. I only know tha the echo loop only happened that one night. It happened every time I turned the HU on to try another connection combination at the amp. The only time it didn't happen was when I had the 4 RCA's disconnected from the 4ch amp. the sub amp was still hooked up and running the sub at the time, but there was no echo through that patch cord, amp or speaker. Strange but true.

Since I got the new patch cord installed and all the interior back in it, it sounds really good. The one thing I was going for and the one thing everyone says is that it is clear as a bell. I love good quality sound and this system has it for sure. At this point I have to say it was the patch cords for front & rear that were going to the 4ch front amp.