Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

T1815 Stays Powered On

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default T1815 Stays Powered On

I installed a T1815 in my '08 xB about six weeks ago and everything worked fine. A couple of days ago, while getting out of the car, the radio continued to play after I switched the ignition to the OFF position (not ACC). It continued to play even after I removed the key from the ignition. Now the radio continues to play with the key in the off position and with the key removed unless I press the power button to shut off the receiver. It also always sends power to the USB connector because my iPod continues to charge, whether the key is set to ON, ACC, OFF, or removed from the ignition completely, even with the radio turned off. This just started and never happened with any of the Scion OEM radios installed in the car. I put my T1809 back in the car and it plays correctly (with the ignition switched to ACC or ON).

The only solution I have seen in any forum for an always on Scion radio was having the owner remove an inverter connected to their car. The inverter was acting as a capacitor when the vehicle was off, sending electricity back into their cars system and keeping the radio on, which is not my case.

I brought the radio issue to the attention of my local Toyota dealer. I was told it would be at least $99 for diagnostic work. For that much I can replace the radio.

Any ideas on getting the T1815 to power on only when it is supposed to power on?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if this could have anything to do with it or not, but I'll throw it out there. A little over a year ago my climate control fan would stay on after turning the key to off and removing it from the ignition. The fan would continue to stay on even if I switched it to the off position. The only way to turn it off was to do it before turning the car off. After 3 hours of diagnosis (2 hours covered by the extended service agreement and the 3rd hour the dealership split in half with me) it was discovered that the cause was my turn signal flasher relay had gone bad. New relay, problem solved. I know the symptoms and solution sound completely unrelated, but that was it in my case... like I said to begin with; just throwin' it out there.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw the same OFF/ON radio issue on a forum and the relay was the problem, but didn't think it was my xBs problem because when I put my T1809 in the car, it goes on and off correctly. I will check the relay and let you know the outcome.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found an electrical diagram for the 2008 xB and there are 2 sources of power for the radio. One is a constant power source - the Blue/Yellow wire in the power plug on the back of the radio that comes from the fuse box in the engine bay with a 15A fuse. The other is a switched power source - a grey wire in the power plug from the fuse box under the instrument panel with a 7.5A fuse. Power does not go to the radio through any relay that I saw.
I also plugged in a T1808 and a T1809 and they both switched on and off correctly. My cigarette lighter also provides power with the key in the ACC and ON position correctly, so the T1815 must be the problem.
Does anyone know where I could find a schematic for a T1814 or T1815? I can find them for retail Pioneer radios, but not OEM models. Are there any mad scientists on Scionlife that know how to repair a radio in the Mid Hudson Valley area?