Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone running an AFE Pro Dry filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Anyone running an AFE Pro Dry filter?

My wife had bought me one of these for my XB for valentines day and I had it in my car for about 5,000miles in some dusty conditions. I pulled it to check how it was sealing to the air box cause my factory filter had leaked around the left rear corner, and well, it didn't seal worth a damn. Dust got in past the bead thats molded into the edge of the filter where it should be sealing to the top lid of the air box. I thought, well, maybe that inner ridge around the inside of the lid seals against the inside of that bead on the air filter because dust had not gotten past that point, or so it seemed. I coated that inner ridge of the lid with oil and then put the filter in and put the air box lid on, then pulled it apart. I had maybe a spot an inch long where I could see oil left on the air filter, looked like that ridge on the lid didn't seal against the filter anyplace else. Has anyone else had this issue with the AFE filters in their XB, or is it something wrong with my air box? It seems to clamp the factory Denso filters much tighter than the AFE I got.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did use the dry flow filter and my oil report from blackstone showed excellent filtration (just as good as stock filter). I switched shortly after though to an AEM CAI (with dryflow filter) with excellent results as well.

I recommend them.