Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Transmission Grinding

My XB1 is stock and has 232000 miles on it. Lately I have been having problems with the transmission. I just recently had the clutch job done on it and also replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder. Sometimes, but not every time, the transmission grinds when shifting from first to second and then second to third. I do not race or shift hard as this is a daily commuter. My thought were to put MT-90 in it, but I had someone mention that it might be the synchro's inside the tranny. Do you think it is time for a new transmission? If so, what would you guys recommend for the best and cheapest way to fix the issue. Thanks!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you just had the clutch job done, checking with the mechanic might be the first step or, if you don't know if you can trust the mechanic, you might ask another mechanic if the grinding is somehow related. In general, I tend to check out "coincidences" first.

If you end up with a bad tranny, used is often the best way to go. Used manuals are less expensive than automatics and are pretty low risk.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I did take the box to a few different mechanics including the one that did the clutch. All three said it may be the transmission. Do you have any websites or places other than wrecking yards for used transmissions?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm my tc1 did that. It was the synchros. Would only do it cold and went away once warmed up. Different power train but same concept. So that is a possible cause
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasperwayne
Do you have any websites or places other than wrecking yards for used transmissions?
Stay away from EverDrive (too much $$$ and a big scam). If you are going to have a mechanic install it, best bet is to go with his sources. It will usually come with a short warranty and there is often some history like how many miles the wrecked box had on it, etc. Lower miles/better history is more money, but usually on the order of $50 or less. Key thing is they know they are sending it to someone who will know by looking at it if they sent him junk. That's better than the warranty imo.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the responses. I bought some MT90 oil today and hope that helps. I think the best advice is to go with someone the mechanic recommends. Changing a transmission is a bit over my head and too time consuming. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to have the same synchro grind on my old Honda CRX. Pennzoil Synchromesh fixed the grinding. I used it alone without mixing, but here in socal, it doesn't get too hot. If you're in a hot state, people recommend using 2/3 Synchromesh and 1/3 regular tranny oil as the synchromesh is a bit thin.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am putting in Redline MT90 this weekend. I hope that will take care of it. As for the heat, I live in the SF Bay Area so we are good there. Thanks for the tip! I'll let you guys know how it turns out after the weekend.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So the MT-90 oil made a slight difference, but I am still having the same grinding issues. Is it safe to say that it is a bad synchro or two? Could there be a chance that it could be a faulty clutch? I had a new clutch installed about three or four months ago and the problems started happening after the new clutch was installed. Maybe it is just a coincidence? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am seeing that transmissions run around $300-$400 for a used one. Does that sound right?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard people mention grinding when there was some air in the line. Never happened to me, so I don't know. Perhaps a link to the recent clutch replacement?

Those seem like the right prices on the used tranny. Key thing is to pay more attention to the tranny's history as opposed to price. Also the warranty and the reputation of the company you are buying from. Just don't get suckered into to paying a lot for an outstanding warranty. That's where I made my mistake. The company was selling really bad transmissions at a high price with a great warranty. They made their money wearing you out sending you one bad tranny after another. I would imagine bad trannies are pretty cheap and so they made out pretty well.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Looks like I am on the hook to have the transmission either looked at and the synchro's replaced or swap out for a used transmission. Any chance you guys have some good websites or places to buy reputable used transmissions? I guess that the fact the transmission lasted 232000 miles is pretty good. Could've been worse.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I know is that if your mechanic doesn't have a good lead, you might want to just ask around locally to see what places keep coming up. You know, call a bunch of parts stores and places that do everything but major auto repair. If you live in a big enough city and can buy locally, you'll save shipping costs. What I know is that even though my city is on the small side (100K), if I can't find it here, I'm going to be better off within like a 150 mile radius because there is usually a way to get the part to me with little or no delivery charge. In my state, if I am remembering right, there are about three places that are good with one being exceptional. Btw, price is often negotiable on trannies. Just make sure you have all the facts about the one you are wanting to buy before you start dickering.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll take your advice and ask around. Since I live in the SF bay area, I should be able to find someone.