Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stop horn honk while using keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Stop horn honk while using keyless entry

Hell all.

I have a 2005 Scion XA. I have been the only owner of the car. Until yesterday when I press the unlock and lock buttons on my keychain the car would make no noise, it would just simply lock/unlock.

Well my son was playing with the keys smashing all of the buttons (lock, unlock, AUX, and a red button) and now the darn thing honks whenever I lock or unlock it. It is very annoying imo and I cannot make it go back to being quiet. I have tried numerous combinations of pressing buttons, holding buttons, but no luck. I remember when I first got the car it did this, I stuck the actual key in the door to unlock it one time and it has been quiet since then.

This was two years ago so my memory might be off a little. But I tried to put the key in to unlock it and an alarm type sound went off, and the honking still happens unlocking/locking it. I don't recall buying the car with an alarm system, but who knows, my wife made most of the decisions so I can't say for sure if it has an alarm or not. Any ideas on how to make it stop honking would be great! I do NOT want to bring the car to the dealership for them to charge me to fix this when I'm sure it can be done with the press of a few buttons.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

LoL, that's kind of funny. Some people want the horn to honk... they have even written threads on how to make the horn honk. But you want it to stop honking.

Find out how he did it, and you can undo it. Also, post how he did it so we can do it.

But I don't know how to find out... watching...
Old 05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found this in another thread:

1. Turn the key to ignition on then off.
2. Press the valet button six times. (The button must be in out position when starting.)
3. After pressing the valet button six times you should hear the horn honk. 1 honk means arm/disarm chirp enabled. 2 honks mean arm/disarm chirp disabled.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM

Lol, yea I noticed all the threads about asking to make it honk.
My son is 2 though so he can't exactly tell me what he presssed
Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Philthy
Found this in another thread:

1. Turn the key to ignition on then off.
2. Press the valet button six times. (The button must be in out position when starting.)
3. After pressing the valet button six times you should hear the horn honk. 1 honk means arm/disarm chirp enabled. 2 honks mean arm/disarm chirp disabled.
Great Philthy! But, what is the "valet button"?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM

Default valet button

i had the same prob w mine... hated the honk!
the method Philthy cited worked to turn mine off.

my keyless entry is not stock, so i don't know if your valet button will be the same, but mine's on the inside, lower, side panel next to the driver's left ankle. you've prob seen yours and wondered what it did...

and, if that method doesn't work, you should be able to find the instruction manual for your remote on the FCC website.

good luck!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my '06 xA with keyless entry. Supposedly the '06s don't have that option so it was an aftermarket system. It only came with one key fob. I have found the box under the dash for the keyless entry, but cannot found a valet switch to program another fob to it. I have purchased another fob that is the exact same model as the one I received when I got the vehicle. Anyone got any clues where to find a valet switch if it isn't on the black box? I have gone to the website for the system and looked in the places mentioned above. No luck. It's an audiovox system.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

As far as I know, the stock systems do no have a valet button. A valet button usually puts the alarm in a "sleep" mode so that a valet, no matter how retarded they may be, cannot set off the alarm.

Even some after market systems do not have a valet button. I would suggest you find the owners manual for your alarm or google it to find out your answer.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:33 PM

dustin,
simple, but, can you go back to the dealer you bought it from? yours probably isn't the only one they've sold with keyless entry... good luck!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Likely due to some of the mentioned reasons, I could not find a valet button. I am not really sure I have an alarm, but that may seem very stupid to say. I am tight with my money and don't think I would have paid any extra to get an alarm for the vehicle. Especially an alarm I have never learned how to use. But my wife made some decisions so who knows.

Regardless, assuming I do have an alarm....I have pressed all the buttons six times and still nothing.
At this point I have given up and am dealing with the fact that I wake up the neighbors when I go to work. And I hate car dealers/auto mechanics because I feel like they try to rip me off because I don't know anything about cars so I won't take it to the dealership.

/ramble off
I just wanted to let you folks know I appreciate your time posting on this forum and I have been reading replies.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by joseph_r03
Regardless, assuming I do have an alarm....I have pressed all the buttons six times and still nothing.

Before you give up on the alarm, there are a few things that you could try. First, don't press buttons repeatedly because it will prolly do nothing more than try to lock/unlock the doors repeatedly. That was the first time that I had ever heard of an alarm using that option. Instead, try to press and hold the button.

First try the lock button and watch the lights. If it's anything like an aftermarket system, when the alarm notices that you want it silent, it will flash the lights and not honk the horn.
If this does not work, try the unlock button. Keep doing this with all buttons (exclude the panic button - the red one). If none of these work, move on to combinations.

Most alarms will use just a two button combination so you shouldn't have to worry about trying all three, though it might not hurt. Try to press the lock and unlock at the same time. Does that work? If not, try the lock and aux button, etc... If just pressing the buttons doesn't work, try to press and hold them.

Play around with the alarm for long enough, you will either fix it or break it. Either way, it prolly won't honk any more.

If all else fails, you can unplug the battery for a bit and see if the alarm defaults to a silent mode.

Hope this helps, and sorry for your troubles.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM

if you really want to find out if you have an alarm on your car, lock it with the remote and open it with the key. but, who knows how you turn that off...!

plus, it should be noted that the valet button is probably not on the remote, but on the car.

do a google or yahoo search for the model number of your remote. it should be on the back, probably some letter/number combo. you should get a hit from the FCC website. that's where i found my instructions.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

didn't anyone get a Handy user manual when they bought thier car? Mine has those instructions!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Djbarista
didn't anyone get a Handy user manual when they bought thier car? Mine has those instructions!
Mine is an aftermarket keyless system. Dealer said they can't help. Oh, well 1 is fine, as long as I have the other key..
Old 07-15-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I don't know if you have the same model as mine but if you do, I'll gladly scan that manual for yah.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 PM

ok, use the FCC website at this address:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm
on the back of your remote it will say "FCC ID:"
put the first three letters/numbers into "grantee code" and the rest into "product code", then hit "search". since remotes have to be registered with the FCC, you should get a hit. click "details", then it'll show all the matches for the remote. one of the returns should be a users manual. i just tried it for mine (elvat0h) and it worked fine.

if you still can't figure it out, post your FCC ID.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 AM

Default This worked for me.

2014 Scion tC
Turn ignition on then off
Then press valet button on the alarm 3x to deactivate the horn from honking.
It gives a light chirp instead now.