Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Upgrade Stereo on 2011 xD, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Question Upgrade Stereo on 2011 xD, need advice

Hello all, newbie here with zero and I mean ZERO knowledge or experience regarding stereos, wiring, electronics or installation, but I want to get the stock radio replaced with a touch screen unit.

However, in my research I seem to be hitting the following road blocks, at least according to Crutchfield:
  • If I upgrade the stereo, I will lose the steering wheel controls because there isn't an adapter for my car
  • There also isn't an adapter for the USB input that's at the bottom of the console, so I'll lose that as well.
  • That means I have to either get a unit with a front USB or install a second USB and leave the original as a non-functioning dummy
  • there IS an adapter for the Aux input so I can keep that but I'll have to purchase an additional adapter for it
I spent some time looking through the board and all of this appears to be true, especially after looking at this thread:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...73/?styleid=14

there the guy had to hack together a solution.

I definitely have no interest in doing this, because the only confidence i have regarding doing any electrical work on my car is that in doing so i will absolutely set it on fire...

so I'd rather just buy whatever components are necessary to get what I want, and pay someone who knows what they're doing (and can guarantee their work) to get it done...

BUT if it turns out this can't be done, what options do I have? I can live without the stereo controls if I have to, and I suppose I can mount the extra usb input somewhere,
but i'd really rather not if I don't have to, and would appreciate any input on the very best and easiest way to do this correctly...

if I can provide any additional information that might be helpful let me know, and thank you to any one who takes the time to share their thoughts.

EDIT: this is the stereo i'd like to buy: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130270B...AVH-270BT.html

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-28-2021 at 03:30 AM. Reason: added product link
Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 2008 Scion xD. I replaced the stock unit with a Pioneer double-din (no touchscreen). I think all I needed to buy was the Pioneer stereo itself and a wire harness.

I also bought something that was supposed to let me use the steering wheel controls, but I wired it up and it didn't work, so I gave up on that.

That double-din was stolen so I later bought a Pioneer single-din (with removable faceplate) and a thing that gave me a storage box in the extra space below the head unit. Pretty sure I used the same wiring hardness.

I still have never tried to get the steering wheel controls to work. I've had this car for 5 years without the steering wheel controls. If it's possible, I'd love to know how!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member

I just put in a new Pioneer head unit today-
I didn't have the money to retain the steering wheel controls - I do miss them ..

If I find a wiring diagram maybe I can patch something together.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-28-2021 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member

I bought this adapter for my 2013 Scion xD:

Amazon Amazon

The plastic housing around the connection did not fit but once I filed down the top right corner. It fit perfectly.

As for the steering wheel control:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon says it will work but I haven't installed it yet.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-28-2021 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member

I ended up feeding the USB cable behind the steering wheel column. I
It came with the radio so I didn't have to wire anything extra.

What brand/model radio do you have?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-28-2021 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

I bought a pioneer nex 4100. The adapter I purchased works with any radio that has a USB port on the back.