Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

2014 Honda Civic Si or 2014 Scion tC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Question 2014 Honda Civic Si or 2014 Scion tC?

So I'm in the market for a new car. This will be my first time financing a car, but I have owned 3 "used" cars in the past and just recently sold my recent car ('03 BMW 325i). So coming from a German car to a Japanese car, I'm in new territory and need help. I'm not looking for a "fast" car, but a car I will be able to enjoy (occasional spirited driving, but mostly commuting from home, school, work) and that has "similar" handling to my E46. Also, I'm not married yet, but since, I'm pretty sure, it's going to be my car for the next, assuming, 6+ years (23 now), which one would be more ideal for baby/child seats (space-wise)? I'm fine with the fact that coupes require "extra" work to get the seat in and out, just want it to be safe, easy to latch seats, etc. And yes, I know I can test drive them, but I am asking for other peoples opinions before I do.

I assume that, at least, some people were in the same boat as me or know people who were deciding between the two. And I know this is a Scion forum, so the answer might be biased. But what would be the reasons why I should get one over the other? Safety, reliability, handling, regrets, etc, or the other; these types of reasons will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't read your post, just your subject line. Civic all day dude. Not even a question. Hands down much better car in every and all aspects.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on the civic SI - the SI costs more, and is a better car between the two choices.

Tom (criminaltc) and I both own 8thgen SI's.

I have a 2 door 2008 black SI coupe. It's fantastic, you can beat the h#ll out of the SI and it has a pretty good build quality. Not that there is anything wrong with the tC2.

And the aftermarket (if you ever want to go that route) is insane with the civic SI. The 2015 SI coupe looks amazing.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

the new civics are kindof ugly, in my opinion anyway... i would look for an 8th gen if I really wanted a civic.
I recently got an old beat up and mildly modded outback XT, and I have to say I'll never even consider buying a FWD car again.

If you want an out of the box fast car with fwd for a decent price look at mazdaspeed 3's. I see 2013 MS3's with decently low milage for around 20k
they have 260hp to the crank and lots of torque that you dont have to wait for, unlike hondas. Might be able to find some low milage focus ST's as well.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

I was driving a Civic before I purchased a new 2015 Scion TC. I had some good results with the civic, and only had to get a new car because an idiot with a Porch plowed into the rear of my 2005 civic. I checked out the new civics and was looking at the SI. The SI comes in a two door or a four door, it comes with an automatic or a manual transmission. But, the civic does not have as much room in the front as the TC. I am a tall guy and the civic when the door was closed caused me to have to knock my knees together because the door handle was so large. Also, the TC is a hatch back that allows you to carry some other stuff. The Civics also have the slopping windshield and a lower roof line.

I drove both cars and the stock TC handled better than the SI Civic. The steering of the TC has taken me a little while to get used to, and the clutch has a larger throw distance which has also taken some time to get used to on the TC. I did not care for either car with the sunroof/ moon roof. But the TC is nosier, I think because of the hatch back, the two pieces of glass over your head and less head liner to absorb the sound.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 PM
SL Member

I know this is an old thread but for anyone currently deciding on these 2 cars, here's my input. I owned a 2013 Scion tC manual. I've also owned a 08 Si coupe, 04 S2K and currently a 2014 Si coupe I traded for 13 tC for. I enjoyed the tC and it was fine other than the input shaft issue a lot of the manuals suffer from.

I do like the drivetrain and driving dynamics better on the Hondas. If the power and drivetrain overall is upgraded, I may look into another.