Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Hyundai Veloster 3-door coupe (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Hyundai Veloster 3-door coupe (updated)

This was brought up in the concept phase back in '07 but since so much time has passed I figured it was worth revisiting as a new post. The production model was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show and I got to see it up close at the Washington Auto Show on Friday.

original post here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113726

I'm genuinely curious about what the Scion crowd thinks of it. Currently I have a heavily modified black / silver 2006 xB and a stockish 2004 polar white xB. I'd really like to get trade the '04 for something new with a bit more power and half-decent fuel economy. I went into the show looking for the Genesis 2.0T R-Spec but now I'm really debating the Veloster instead. Also on the short list are the Juke, Focus ST hatch and Genesis if they ever move over the 274-hp direct inject 2L. Loved my xB but am not looking for another Scion, there are tons of doom / gloom posts about brand direction already so I won't go into details why.

Anyway, for the Veloster it looks like Hyundai took all the lessons learned from the 1gen tC and the Fuse concept and is putting out what might be a decent new coupe. ("borrowed" from the Fuse, wrap-around glass, hood vent, sportbike interior styling, glass roof)

Official site:
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2...er/experience/

Autoblog article:
Detroit 2011: 2012 Hyundai Veloster is a Swiss Army Coupe

Photos from Autoblog

I'm a bit concerned that this will be the 1gen for a few new technologies direct from Hyundai, including the direct-inject dual variable-valve 1.6L and the dual clutch auto trans. At the same time, dual clutch paddle shifting 6-speed, push-button start, 40 MPG highway, standard 7" touchscreen and a passenger rear door so you don't need to vault into the rear seat for around $18k is hard to argue with. The styling I'm still mixed on, then again I'm drawn to slightly ugly and love the old xB looks.

I'll be keeping my '06 xB, I can't part with something that's turbocharged and can haul a sportbike from the inside.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To me the exterior is really ugly. The interior is nice. Id stick with either the genesis or juke.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I really want a Genesis, but don't want to be burned by getting the 200-HP turbo only to have the 274-HP get moved from the Sonata and Optima to it next year. I'd be feeling some serious buyers remorse, probably like people who bought a 2010 V6 Mustang @ 210 HP only to have Ford drop in a 305 HP V6 in 11, with better gas mileage.

So do you like the Juke styling then? Looked better in person but I'm still up in the air about it. Juke seats were comfy though, much more than the Genesis.