Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

More AE86 Rumor Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
xanaduce. just so you know gm has not built any toyota's , but toyota has built many cars for gm
Hold up, hold up! That's not true! GM built ONE car for Toyota, and it was in fact sold in Japan as a Toyota! It was the Chevy cavalier, sold in Japan for just a short time... I guess you could call the cavalier JDM! Just search for it on google, you'll find tons of info.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
xanaduce. just so you know gm has not built any toyota's , but toyota has built many cars for gm
Hold up, hold up! That's not true! GM built ONE car for Toyota, and it was in fact sold in Japan as a Toyota! It was the Chevy cavalier, sold in Japan for just a short time... I guess you could call the cavalier JDM! Just search for it on google, you'll find tons of info.

this is stuff I found out loooong after I ditched my cavalier. little did I know, I was driving what was secretly, and inversely, cool ... I just had to get some hip-cool toyota JDM cavalier badges
Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Yeah... It was a one time thing that will never happen again. In fact, there are strong rumors of Toyota either buying out or abandoning the NUMMI plant, which would mean the end of joint venture GM/Toyota cars. Good riddance, I say! Nothing good has ever come out of that overpaid plant...

But let's not get off topic here...
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i believe that old cav was a corolla....
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

last i heard from nummi workers is that toyota is going to buy it out.

and tacoma's are built at nummi and they're good.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I'm not a huge fan of the new tacoma... But I've only owned one NUMMI built car and it was a POS, but I'll definitely admit that my opinion is unjustified.

But the JDM cavalier is definitele a Chevy cav rebadged. I'm 100 certain about this. Just do a search on google and you will find tons of info. I'm posting from my blackberry so it's kinds tough to post links.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

A google search for Toyota cavalier lists a wikipedia article that talks about the whole thing (towards the end of the article).
Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GM built two cars for Toyota. The Toyota Voltz is the Ponatic Vibe and the Cavalier as mention.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by emptystreets130
GM built two cars for Toyota. The Toyota Voltz is the Ponatic Vibe and the Cavalier as mention.
The Voltz/Vibe doesn't really count, as the whole thing was designed by Toyota (as was the Toyota Corolla/Geo-Chevy Prism. Most of the parts, including the engine were Toyota sourced. The aforementioned cars are part of the benefits that GM gets in co-owning the NUMMI plant. Technically, GM didn't build any of those cars for Toyota, as they were built in a Toyota owned (albeit a joint venture facility) plant.

The Toyota Cavalier was 100% GM built with a GM motor in it, and AFAIK had nothing to do with NUMMI... And this is really getting off topic here.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the new tacoma is awesome in all shapes and forms allthough i do dislike their headlights.

the mexico built tacoma's aren't nearly as well put together as the nummi ones are though I'll tell you that.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...Getting back on topic...

The rumors are fly'n about

------------

Curtisey of Motor Authority through Autoblog...

A report in Japan's Asahi Shimbun newspaper states that Toyota and Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent) are mulling over the possibility of jointly developing what many have been referring to as the successor to the classic AE86. The entry-level sports car would be branded as a Toyota but would feature a FHI-sourced boxer engine of 2.0 liters or less underhood. As far as pricing, the goal would be to keep the car at ¥2,000,000 or lower. Asahi says that the car would target a 2010 release (not 2008, as previously reported by Japan's Best Car magazine) and that talks between the two entities won't commence in earnest until this Fall.

The Asahi report comes in the wake of the aforementioned Best Car magazine story, which also said Fuji Heavy would factor into the equation, but that a price of ¥1,500,000 was the target. While the two outlets differ on some of the specifics, the basic stories match up, and you know the saying: "Where there's smoke..."

In other news, Asahi reports that Toyota subsidiary Daihatsu will begin supplying its Coo compact wagon (a.k.a. Toyota bB) to Fuji Heavy, and that a Subaru-branded version should go on sale in Japan next summer.

------------

%$@#! man, if this AE86 successor is gunna have a subie platform and a subie 2.0 boxer powerplant why not just make it a freak'n subie already. It definitely wouldn't be an AE86 nore even a freak'n toyota for that matter. Come on Toyota, your one of the biggest car makers in the world. Make your own damn car. Let us long suffering Toyota fans have something to be proud of.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I hope they don't do that .

the only thing that should be switched back and forth between subaru and toyota is subaru's awd systems into toyota's and toyota's hybrid stuff into subaru's.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emptystreets130
?????? GM did build the Cavalier which toyota sold under its own name in Japan. But where the hell did u get a toyota voltz from a Vibe? The Pontiac Vibe is built by Toyota as the Matrix with different body panels on it. Toyota built the Chevy Nova/Pontiac LeMans of the 80s which was a rebadge Corolla as well as the Geo/Chevy Prisim which is again a Corolla. Toyota has also supplied Ford with its Hybrid software since day one on the Escape Hybrid.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the Toyota Voltz is a Pontiac Vibe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Voltz
Old 08-12-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which is a Toyota Matrix. And don't use wikipedia as 99.9% of the info on it is inaccurate. The picture that it shows is a Pontiac Vibe, this is the Voltz that ur talking about
Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The pix shown is a voltz. They didnt change the front end when toyota launch it in japan. Toyota created a different logo with the Pontiac logo. I'll take a page from the Toyota books. http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/02/0820.html

Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So its really a Toyota Pontiac then. w/e point is that GM had nothing to do with the model except body panels. Toyota Cavalier was entirely GM.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhh wow new civic much just look at the b-pillar area and back window looks just like the new civic
Old 08-12-2007, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Way I look at it toyota did most of the work and got shafted where as gm hardly did any work and made a profit selling rebaged toyotas. Ok, back to the AE86 replacement subject. :D
Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DriverXa
?????? GM did build the Cavalier which toyota sold under its own name in Japan. But where the hell did u get a toyota voltz from a Vibe? The Pontiac Vibe is built by Toyota as the Matrix with different body panels on it. Toyota built the Chevy Nova/Pontiac LeMans of the 80s which was a rebadge Corolla as well as the Geo/Chevy Prisim which is again a Corolla. Toyota has also supplied Ford with its Hybrid software since day one on the Escape Hybrid.
Dude, why did you quote me? What you said is EXACTLY what I said, and we are in 100% agreement... Maybe you meant to argue with someone else?

Quick Reply: More AE86 Rumor Stuff