Old 12-04-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
Originally Posted by Zillon
i would classify it as more of a hobby/past-time/recreational activity....than a sport.

still fun as hell though!!!

i guess no one should talk about rolling stop signs, exceeding the posted speed limit, or illegally modifying your car (ie. turbo, tint, etc..) either then.....based on that logic.

Right??

Just because your friend died from street racing (probably because he was being an idiot) doesn't mean you have to be the vigilante, going around telling everyone else they can't do it too.
I've seen you brag about your success and responsibility. You say you own your own house, have a nice job as an (assistant to the) assistant manager, and speak of being grown up, and yet you condone street racing?

How responsible of you.
make yourself feel better yet?? you can keep making fun of me (obviously jealous you don't have a respectable job like me if it helps your fragile ego, but unless you're my mom, i don't give a SH8 what you think. You're 19.... you know nothing about the real world. go save some dolphins or the rainforests.
so not only are you a douche bag your a street racer? put the fast and furious box set away. your not vin diesel.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HondaCRX
btw, street racing is stupid. That's a given. Most of the people who defend it are under 25.

I'm 27. But then again, I'm a Toys-R-Us Kid...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

make yourself feel better yet?? you can keep making fun of me (obviously jealous you don't have a respectable job like me if it helps your fragile ego, but unless you're my mom, i don't give a SH8 what you think. You're 19.... you know nothing about the real world. go save some dolphins or the rainforests.
I know nothing about the real world? On your own trek to the real world, didn't anyone ever tell you that you shouldn't make assumptions about someone you know nothing about? I have bills to pay, loans to pay off, a job to attend, and food to buy, the same as you probably do.

You serve as a prime example as to why maturity does not always come with age.

Now, if you don't mind, I've got a Psychology exam to study for. Quit wasting my time.
well put. what a fool
Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree with Travis's frame of mind on this one.

There is no point to try and preach about street racing on Scionlife. Your not going to solve anything.

That being said, Ive street raced before. And like Travis I do it with no or very little traffic and only if someone comes up to me. Here in detroit we are lucky enough to have a old airport runway that isnt used out in the middle of nowhere we use from time to time.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

how s s/l even leaving this topic open? i thought it wasnt aloud to be posted about and would be locked up
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, there *ARE* people who defend street racing!

"Oh, I do it when there aren't cars around!" "The streets aren't busy!" is all shorthand for 'yes it's illegal but I'm careful'.

Way to rationalize there, folks.

http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/niatt_la...actionTime.htm.
Brake reaction time - varies between 1 second and 3.5 seconds

80-0 stopping distance on a stock tC: 230 ft.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...est/index.html

Whether you like it or not, no matter how 'careful' you purportedly are, the sheer physics of the situation (on a clear, sunny day with full traction) negates all your preventative measures.

Ever wonder why there are speed limits? It's because engineers have determined that in most conditions, the amount of time needed from initial response to full stoppage without an accident is that max speed. That's why school zones are 15mph, and highways are 55+.

Don't attempt to justify your stupid habit. Admit that you're a moron, that you do moronic things in the face of science and the law, and that you're selfish and arrogant.

End of story.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tc defies the laws of physics...lol /thread ....all i see are the ppl most _____ing are the ones with the slowest cars..
Old 12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mtxblau
Wow, there *ARE* people who defend street racing!

"Oh, I do it when there aren't cars around!" "The streets aren't busy!" is all shorthand for 'yes it's illegal but I'm careful'.

Way to rationalize there, folks.

http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/niatt_la...actionTime.htm.
Brake reaction time - varies between 1 second and 3.5 seconds

80-0 stopping distance on a stock tC: 230 ft.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...est/index.html

Whether you like it or not, no matter how 'careful' you purportedly are, the sheer physics of the situation (on a clear, sunny day with full traction) negates all your preventative measures.

Ever wonder why there are speed limits? It's because engineers have determined that in most conditions, the amount of time needed from initial response to full stoppage without an accident is that max speed. That's why school zones are 15mph, and highways are 55+.

Don't attempt to justify your stupid habit. Admit that you're a moron, that you do moronic things in the face of science and the law, and that you're selfish and arrogant.

End of story.

What does Any of that have to do with racing on a road that has no traffic or objects? Ever wonder why the Autobahn has no speed limits and yet has LESS wrecks than just One state in the United states....let alone the whole country. Every wonder why they make aftermarket parts to improve the braking performance of a vehicle.

Your argument does not take into account "modifications", nor actual elements involved. Some people do it with ill regard to their surroundings (not my style). Others are on roads clear of traffic, and has no side roads where traffic may enter either. The only risk then in that case is the immediate danger you oppose to yourself and the 1 other car envolved. To which Both of you are performing an illegal act, so there are NO bystanders.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Pros and Cons of Street Racing in a different forum.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
What does Any of that have to do with racing on a road that has no traffic or objects? Ever wonder why the Autobahn has no speed limits and yet has LESS wrecks than just One state in the United states....let alone the whole country.
Ha! I don't need to wonder.

http://www.german-way.com/driving.html

"This is understandable when you realize that a German driver’s license costs about $1500-2000, after a minimum of 25-45 hours of professional instruction plus 12 hours of theory, and such a license is good for life."

They take driving a lot more seriously in Germany than other countries. I mean:

"The Technische Überwachungsverein or TÜV is an agency that must approve the roadworthiness of German cars and trucks. Without a TÜV (pronounced TOOF) sticker, a vehicle can't be licensed or driven. Cars have been known to fail TÜV inspection for having a single rust spot or dent in a critical location."

also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn#Speed_limits

There are set speed limits for vehicles on the autobahn. Further, certain vehicle classes are not allowed on the autobahn at all.

You can get a license in the U.S. from a Cracker Jack box. Don't bring other countries into this, their standards are much, much higher.

And your performance parts comment makes no sense. Who upgrades their brakes without upgrading their engine? Simply put, one is offset by the other.

End of story.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would leave a comment here, but right now i have to go be a jackass.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
....all i see are the ppl most _____ing are the ones with the slowest cars..
And all the people I've seen try to justify street racing in this thread thus far are some of the most egocentric, inconsiderate, and ignorant people I've ever come into contact with.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I don't condone street racing, but I also know there was no point in starting this thread about it either. Street racing isn't a sport...duh. It's an adrenaline rush that could get you killed. Street racing isn't smart, but people ARE going to do it. It's not just young people, nor is it people with tuner cars. There was a surgeon who was street racing about 30 miles from where I live in his Dodge Viper going 200+ MPH recently. He had lots of money, was almost 40, and died.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You can get a license in the U.S. from a Cracker Jack box. Don't bring other countries into this, their standards are much, much higher.

And your performance parts comment makes no sense. Who upgrades their brakes without upgrading their engine? Simply put, one is offset by the other.

First of all, you can't lump everyone into the same category. Drivers all have different experiences, have been driving a lot longer, and have different knowledge and driving habits.

Secondly, people upgrade their braking systems before upgrading the engine all the time dude. I have a 350z as well as a boosted tC. I upgraded the braking on the Z (it already has a 300hp engine), so it's not necessary. I will of course some point in the future will add Twins to the motor, but in it's stock form now, it's very well capable of racing in any fashion.

Again, there are people who don't care, and then there are some that "if" they are going to do it, try to take measures of safety at the same time.

Example: Your a sky jumper. The sky jumper who jumps without a parachute vs one who has all the saftey equipment and parachute to insure a safe landing. Does that mean that sky jumping isn't dangerous though even if you have a parachute? No.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rarity of me racing among traffic is just that.....Rare.
Rare still equates to at least once. Once is too much.

You're assuming a few things:
a. you know what you're doing.
b. the other guy knows what he's doing.
c. your car will never break, lose a wheel, blow a tire or other weird anomalies
d. his car will never break, lose a wheel, etc
e. that there's not some drunken idiot who wants to join in.
f. can you even handle your car if an emergency situation popped up?
g. can he?

The other day, normal traffic, this Volvo stationwagon's tire blew out right in front of me. We were going about 70mph. I lift off the gas and watched as the guy fishtailed across two lanes and nearly t-boning the wall, cutting right in front of me... He somehow managed to bring the car to a stop, without hitting anything. Completely unexpected.
Would you have been able to have driven out of it? What if you were right next to the other guy?
On a track day, in a corner, this corvette in front of me spun out, complete 360 degrees... why? slow leak he didn't detect, but the tires getting heated up exaggerated the problem cause him to lose tire pressure mid-turn. I never braked, and stayed on the gas as soon as I saw his tail come around. If I had braked, he woulda hit me due to the way he was spinning and how the track was closing in.
What would you have done? possibly slammed on your brakes, fish-tailing your car and causing a bigger accident. What if it was you? Thankfully this was at a track and corner workers could have easily helped us if an incident occurred, but... who is calling the ambulance when you crash your car due to a freak accident?
The guy you're racing with won't... i can almost guarantee it.

[quote="rhythmnsmoke"]What does Any of that have to do with racing on a road that has no traffic or objects? Ever wonder why the Autobahn has no speed limits and yet has LESS wrecks than just One state in the United states....let alone the whole country. [/quoite]
Ever been to Germany?
Ever driven in Germany?
I'm guessing no, since your statement is inaccurate.
The Autobahn does, in fact, have speed limits. However, there are sections where there speed limitations are removed and unlimited speed can be obtained.
Also, the average 70 year German woman can out-drive 99% of Scionlife's population, guaranteed.
They are better, more courteous drivers. I was CRUISING at 170mph with a Porsche 911 in front of me... both of us left our left signal on informing other drivers that we were going at a high rate of speed. NOT A SINGLE CAR pulled in front of us for a solid 10 minute run. That would NEVER happen in the states. Why? cause people are _______s here.

Every wonder why they make aftermarket parts to improve the braking performance of a vehicle.
Cause people are stupid and buy into "perceptions". slotted/x-drilled rotors don't make a car stop any sooner than solid discs.
But, stickier tires do! Which is purchased more by the average kid modding his car?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The rarity of me racing among traffic is just that.....Rare.
Rare still equates to at least once. Once is too much.
Did anything happen....NO, case closed.

c. your car will never break, lose a wheel, blow a tire or other weird anomalies
g. can he?

a. Yes I do
b. Risk is no more or less avoided if we WERE on a track
c. I could be driving a 60mph or 100mph don't matter either way, if those were to happen, car would still be jacked up.
d. Risk is no more or less avoided if we WERE on a track
e. Where I race is a only two lanes. If you are drunk, you shouldn't be driving anyway.
f. I've handled my car's in plenty of evasive/emergency situations
g. Again, Risk is no more or less avoided if we WERE on a track

The other day, normal traffic, this Volvo stationwagon's tire blew out right in front of me. We were going about 70mph. I lift off the gas and watched as the guy fishtailed across two lanes and nearly t-boning the wall, cutting right in front of me... He somehow managed to bring the car to a stop, without hitting anything. Completely unexpected.
Would you have been able to have driven out of it? What if you were right next to the other guy?
And this can't happen on a track either right...

On a track day, in a corner, this corvette in front of me spun out, complete 360 degrees... why? slow leak he didn't detect, but the tires getting heated up exaggerated the problem cause him to lose tire pressure mid-turn. I never braked, and stayed on the gas as soon as I saw his tail come around. If I had braked, he woulda hit me due to the way he was spinning and how the track was closing in.
What would you have done? possibly slammed on your brakes, fish-tailing your car and causing a bigger accident. What if it was you? Thankfully this was at a track and corner workers could have easily helped us if an incident occurred, but... who is calling the ambulance when you crash your car due to a freak accident?
The guy you're racing with won't... i can almost guarantee it.
More of the same "What if". If i crash due to a freak accident, then it was meant to be. If I crash at the track and die, all the corner/drag strip workers in the world are not going to save me. Therefore, it was meant to be. Is the street more risky...Well sure. That's why it's called an adrenaline rush and not a sport.

What does Any of that have to do with racing on a road that has no traffic or objects? Ever wonder why the Autobahn has no speed limits and yet has LESS wrecks than just One state in the United states....let alone the whole country.
Ever been to Germany?
Ever driven in Germany?
I'm guessing no, since your statement is inaccurate.
The Autobahn does, in fact, have speed limits. However, there are sections where there speed limitations are removed and unlimited speed can be obtained.
Also, the average 70 year German woman can out-drive 99% of Scionlife's population, guaranteed.
Of course I know there are speed limits in SOME parts of the Autobahn. OBVIOUSLY I was talking about the parts that were not speed governed...Duh..

They are better, more courteous drivers. I was CRUISING at 170mph with a Porsche 911 in front of me... both of us left our left signal on informing other drivers that we were going at a high rate of speed. NOT A SINGLE CAR pulled in front of us for a solid 10 minute run. That would NEVER happen in the states. Why? cause people are _______s here.
IF the Autobahn was built in the states, and the same etique applied, I have no doubt that drivers on a US Autobahn would adhere to it.

Every wonder why they make aftermarket parts to improve the braking performance of a vehicle.
Cause people are stupid and buy into "perceptions". slotted/x-drilled rotors don't make a car stop any sooner than solid discs.
But, stickier tires do! Which is purchased more by the average kid modding his car?

Again, another element of performance to add to your vehicle to increase it's abilities.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm going to say this and then be done with this thread.

EVERY sport, adrenaline rush, or strenuous activity has an inherent danger built into it. Whether or not you choose to accept those dangers is your choice. When it's your time to go, it's just that, your time to go. Playing it safe and you could live till 90 years old, or you could die at 20. Some people are more risky than others, it's just human nature. I will street race at 100+mph, but I wouldn't dare pick up a cigarette and smoke 2 packs a day for 20 years. We pick and choose our poisons. All the "what if" scenario's are just that..."What if". On the 6:00 news tonight (I kid you not), a Fort Camble KY Solider slipped out of his bead, hit his head on the floor and Died! He DIED from getting out of bed, instead of during combat! When it's your time to go, you have no choice over how it's going to be.

I try to be at least "somewhat" thoughtful. I have not once said street racing was either "not" dangerous (which it can be), nor that it's a sport (which it is not). But someday I will turn pro. Just like all pro's before me.

You name it, Drag racing, Nascar, Drifting, Auto-X, Time Attack.....All of these have one thing in common. They all came from the Street or evolved from a sport that came from the streets. Street racing will never die, that's why this thread is useless. Again 90% of all professional drivers Started on the Street.

The Drift King....where did he do most of his practicing? Take a guess, you only get one.

I was watching the show "Super Bikes". They were talking to a Pro Motorcycle drag racer (black guy, forget his name), and he described how he started by street racing, and winning like 300-500 dollars a race as a teen. Kawasaki got wind of him, and signed him. Of course with his contract, he had to promise never to street race again. He has his own drag racing school now. And if you ever watch the Speed channel, and you catch one of the goofey Kawasaki commercials where they try to get the guy to ride the motorcycle with some stupid contraption on it, he is the black guy in one of the commercials. All that, and where did he come from again.....The Street.

And you know what's funny and what usually gives "street" racers a bad name? Ricer's in crappy slow a$$ vehicles weaving in and out of traffic like they are Andretti. Where I'm from, the guys with the actual muscle under the hood, are usually the ones driving the slowest. Why? Because they already know their car is fast. They do the speed limit, and only exceed it when it's time to race. They also take it to the track. But the guys who have ebay fart cans, and think they can race anything on the road, usually are the ones weaving and smashing into Susie and her 1 year old daughter on a pedestrian street.

So, with that said, this thread is a waste of time, should be closed as it's useless. Beating a dead horse is an understatement. We all inherently take risk. Some of us know the consequences of our actions, and choose to accept them and take responsibility for our own doings. Some do not, and sometimes pay the price.

Have fun, happy holidays, and good night.

....Brought to you by the Most Decorated Street Racer on ScionLife.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But, you keep going...

g. can he?
a. Yes I do
c. I could be driving a 60mph or 100mph don't matter either way, if those were to happen, car would still be jacked up.
e. Where I race is a only two lanes. If you are drunk, you shouldn't be driving anyway.
g. Again, Risk is no more or less avoided if we WERE on a track [/quote]
a. You don't. Willing to bet you really don't.
b/d/g. Yep, that's why EMTs are there. They aren't where you and your buddies circle jerk to each other's fast and furious lifestyle ;)
c. ...? so you recognize the risk... and continue to do it. fun. You know what scientists call people who repeatedly do stupid things? Idiots. Welcome to the club.
e. oh... that makes it sooo much better.
f. an emergency lane change is minor. I'm sure you're inexperience in driving (as evident by your defense of street racing) will be your undoing eventually.

And this can't happen on a track either right...
Revert to b/d/g.

That's why it's called an adrenaline rush and not a sport.
This is why idiots should never procreate.

Of course I know there are speed limits in SOME parts of the Autobahn. OBVIOUSLY I was talking about the parts that were not speed governed...Duh..
Some? proof that you are ignorant of a topic you are attempting to be an authority on.

IF the Autobahn was built in the states, and the same etique applied, I have no doubt that drivers on a US Autobahn would adhere to it.
You have a lot of faith in the american public. maybe it's cause you're an idiot who thinks he can drive cause he street races.

Again, another element of performance to add to your vehicle to increase it's abilities.
Which is often overlooked.

We all inherently take risk.
Except, some risks only involve you (cigerette smoking in your own home), others don't (you street racing on our streets). When you involve me in your adolescent risks, I tend to have a problem with that. Like idiots who think it's ok to shoot beer bottles with a gun in their backyard, which faces my yard.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
....all i see are the ppl most _____ing are the ones with the slowest cars..
And all the people I've seen try to justify street racing in this thread thus far are some of the most egocentric, inconsiderate, and ignorant people I've ever come into contact with.
yup.. slow car driver right there... / thread oh btw im neither of the 3.. in fact im far from that.. everyone loves me
Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

But, you keep going...
Don't change the topic to suit your argument. The original comment was concerning the Rarity of it happening in a traffic infested area. Not on the subject of street racing period. Go check the date on the last vid (With traffic) to see when it was shot, and then report back to me.

a. Yes I do
g. Again, Risk is no more or less avoided if we WERE on a track

a. You don't. Willing to bet you really don't.
b/d/g. Yep, that's why EMTs are there. They aren't where you and your buddies circle jerk to each other's fast and furious lifestyle ;)
c. ...? so you recognize the risk... and continue to do it. fun. You know what scientists call people who repeatedly do stupid things? Idiots. Welcome to the club.
e. oh... that makes it sooo much better.
f. an emergency lane change is minor. I'm sure you're inexperience in driving (as evident by your defense of street racing) will be your undoing eventually.

You don't even know me dude. I'm a grown man not some teeny booper who only "Think" he knows how to drive. EMT's can't help you if you die instantly bro... Again, don't insult my intelligence with some stupid a$$ F&F comments. Street racing started back in the 50's probably 40's. Nothing to do with some Hollywood movie. I've been driving since I was 14 bro. Shut up already and stop talking like you know me.

That's why it's called an adrenaline rush and not a sport.
This is why idiots should never procreate.
If you are calling me an idiot with that comment, then my response to it is....You are about 18 months to late. My 9 month old is playing in his crib right now.

Some? proof that you are ignorant of a topic you are attempting to be an authority on.
WTF are you talking about. There are speed limits on parts of the Autobahn, and then there some that are not governed. Last time I heard though, that is about to change. They might be putting a speed limit everywhere on it.

You have a lot of faith in the american public. maybe it's cause you're an idiot who thinks he can drive cause he street races.
ORLY? Is that why I race on the track too. If you don't like America, perhaps you should move to another country.

We all inherently take risk.
Except, some risks only involve you (cigerette smoking in your own home), others don't (you street racing on our streets). When you involve me in your adolescent risks, I tend to have a problem with that. Like idiots who think it's ok to shoot beer bottles with a gun in their backyard, which faces my yard.[/quote]

Last time I checked, people didn't only smoke in their homes. Second hand smoke never harmed anyone though right... Guess they were waisting their time by banning smoking in public places if second hand smoke was so harmless... And didn't I already tell you where I race is void of Stationary objects and traffic. Only 2 lanes of street with a very large medium and then 2 lanes going the opposite direction. Get over yourself already. There is a slight problem with your argument.....NO ONE INVOLVED YOU....Nor your mom, dad, sister, aunt, distant cousin....or Whomever you can drum up in your "What if" imaginations. I don't even live in the same State as you dude.

Quick Reply: Street racing is not a sport