General driving and racing...

Street racing is not a sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bayotanzk
I am not going to say that road racing is a sport, though almost everyone at one time or another has done it. Boys and men and the price of their toys... Most of the time when we were younger, but every once in a while with the right conditions or frame of mind/mood. I do enjoy a QUICK bout with an SI as they are not expecting the supercharger. No problem fooling the first time, but wouldn't happen a second time. I like to say that the moon, sun, and the stars have to be aligned properly.
uhm...road racing is a legitimate sanctioned form of racing, and it is a very respectible and fun (both to do and watch) sport. we are talking about illegal street racing, don't confuse the two please.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rhythm I respect the hell out of you man. When It comes to cars especially scions you know your stuff however i did notice that you stated earlier that as long as the racing is closed course then there is no problem with it however you don't follow your words by your videos. I always watch you vs the wrx and the sti and I am almost positive that you are on the freeway endangering peoples lives. My personal opinion of street racing is that it kills too many people. It hurts alot of lives and it destroys lots of families. Although I admittedly used to street race I stopped once I found out that my 16 year old cousin was stupid and ran into a pregnant mother and her mother and killed them and the child. Ever since then I have been disgusted to race and I just remember that what if that were my wife and child. (granted I have neither) but what if I were the man that had to be told that my wife and child were gone? That is why I stopped at least.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would classify it as more of a hobby/past-time/recreational activity....than a sport.

still fun as hell though!!!

i guess no one should talk about rolling stop signs, exceeding the posted speed limit, or illegally modifying your car (ie. turbo, tint, etc..) either then.....based on that logic.

Right??

Just because your friend died from street racing (probably because he was being an idiot) doesn't mean you have to be the vigilante, going around telling everyone else they can't do it too.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

If it's not on ESPN8 "The Ocho" then it's not a sport.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
i would classify it as more of a hobby/past-time/recreational activity....than a sport.

i guess no one should talk about rolling stop signs, exceeding the posted speed limit, or illegally modifying your car (ie. turbo, tint, etc..) either then.....based on that logic.

Right??

Just because your friend died from street racing (probably because he was being an idiot) doesn't mean you have to be the vigilante, going around telling everyone else they can't do it too.
Was this pointed towards me??
Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Drax I think that bayotanzk is talking about racing on the road or street. Street racing = Road racing to him. he doesn't mean scca style!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Deviousjet

Right??

Was this pointed towards me??
to anyone who criticizes street racing while being a hypocrite.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're 81 year old grandmom driving while barely being able to see over the steering wheel is WAY more dangerous and causes WAY more accidents every year than street racing. lets get our priorities in check here. street racers are just an easier target because they have cars you envy.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is retarded.. talk about beating a dead horse for crying out loud..
Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
Animated gifs always say it best:
Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
nice sig. how accurate.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right??

I've seen you brag about your success and maturity. You say you own your own house, have a nice job as an (assistant to the) assistant manager, and yet you condone street racing?

How mature of you.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zillon

Right??

I've seen you brag about your success and responsibility. You say you own your own house, have a nice job as an (assistant to the) assistant manager, and speak of being grown up, and yet you condone street racing?

How responsible of you.
make yourself feel better yet?? you can keep making fun of me (obviously jealous you don't have a respectable job like me if it helps your fragile ego, but unless you're my mom, i don't give a SH8 what you think. You're 19.... you know nothing about the real world. go save some dolphins or the rainforests.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right??

Just when i thought that maybe, just maybe... people are getting smarter...

then this guy posts. ha!

I do appreciate the comparison of a turbo as being as dangerous as street racing This guy is priceless.

btw, street racing is stupid. That's a given. Most of the people who defend it are under 25.

What's interesting to me is, how is drag racing, at all, a sport? When I think of sports, i think of athletes, people who are physically in shape and are able to run (if not jog) a mile without dying. When I see NHRA events... I don't see athletes. I see overweight hillbillies who MIGHT be able to run to the end of their driveway before collasping. I've watched F1 races... those are athletes.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Japanese have a lot of overpopulated nurseries? never knew that.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
Street Racing isnt a sport, but more of an art..atleast thats what the kid driving this told me
umm.... it's kind of impossible to race that, even it's a swapped Honda, it's still going to be slow b/c of all the extras, and the body kit would probably end up being ripped right off on a bump (at least I have seen that here in NYC).
Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make yourself feel better yet?? you can keep making fun of me (obviously jealous you don't have a respectable job like me if it helps your fragile ego, but unless you're my mom, i don't give a SH8 what you think. You're 19.... you know nothing about the real world. go save some dolphins or the rainforests.
I know nothing about the real world? On your own trek to the real world, didn't anyone ever tell you that you shouldn't make assumptions about someone you know nothing about? I have bills to pay, loans to pay off, a job to attend, and food to buy, the same as you probably do.

You serve as a prime example as to why maturity does not always come with age.

Now, if you don't mind, I've got a Psychology exam to study for. Quit wasting my time.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zillon
I'm not trying to save the world, that's far too hefty a task. Now, striking some common sense into people like you who try to justify racing on public roads, that would be a far more realistic goal.

You're not putting others at risk when you get a boob job, buy that $100 pair of shoes, or when you install a turbo on your car. Thus, your argument is null and void. Save it for the track, or an abandoned airstrip.

At least I do it on a road that is not occupied. 90% of the time that is.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Deviousjet
Rhythm I respect the hell out of you man. When It comes to cars especially scions you know your stuff however i did notice that you stated earlier that as long as the racing is closed course then there is no problem with it however you don't follow your words by your videos. I always watch you vs the wrx and the sti and I am almost positive that you are on the freeway endangering peoples lives. My personal opinion of street racing is that it kills too many people. It hurts alot of lives and it destroys lots of families. Although I admittedly used to street race I stopped once I found out that my 16 year old cousin was stupid and ran into a pregnant mother and her mother and killed them and the child. Ever since then I have been disgusted to race and I just remember that what if that were my wife and child. (granted I have neither) but what if I were the man that had to be told that my wife and child were gone? That is why I stopped at least.

The rarity of me racing among traffic is just that.....Rare. If you count the sheer # of vids I have in my youtube collection, and pick out the ones where there is a sizeable amount of traffic I assure you they would only make up probably 1% of the video collection. And if there is any consolation, I was very reluctant to race in those vids of me and the STI (due to the volume of traffic).

I can assure you also with an accuracy of 100% that I will never be involved in a race where the chance of me running into a pregnant mother would happen.

I do not "Blindly" street race, that's for Noobs who don't care about anything. I have a conscious, a wife, and a 9 month old. If I am to race, it is first negotiated between me and the challenger. And a course is chosen (one of non-traffic moving objects or stationary objects). I prefer a particular area that is void of traffic lights, as most importantly traffic. However, this area is about 30-45 mins away from areas where you most likely would find someone to race.

I look at it this way as well, you don't have to be racing to endanger people. All you have to do is be traveling a considerable amount faster than the posted speed limit. And if we consider that into the equation, You know ALL Y'all A$$'es are put in the same pot of endangering people.

PS....I have also never rolled up to someone and challenged them. They always want a piece of me. And we know how that usually turns out...

Quick Reply: Street racing is not a sport