Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

I said I HATED Don Joseph Toyota in Kent,OH...now I...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Default I said I HATED Don Joseph Toyota in Kent,OH...now I...

...just WASTED 1 1/4 hours sitting in their lobby waiting for their finance manager that made an appoitment with me last Saturday. (Sept 4th) He said to meet with him at 5:00pm today (Sept 8th) and we will work out my deal.

I arrive 30 minutes early, anticipating a customer already with him. Surely enough, there was. No problem, I sit patiently on their couch. Still sitting, patiently waiting for 45minutes at this point...comes the owners daughter's customer with his business suit and son. She walks back to the finance manager, and persists how her customer is here to see him and she will send him back.

Umm....WHAT THE f<beep>k!?!??!??!?! I just sat there for a total of 1 hour, and 15 f<beep>king minutes??????

In my buying car experiences....isn't the customer that hasn't "sealed the deal" your target than the guy with the 5 piece attorney's suit on? I would rather gain a possible new customer, than to see him walk to a fellow competitor.

This is twice within the past two weeks that they've ____ed me.

After I have in writing my "Scion bid to buy" they are willing to increase that price a few days later when I show up with my dad.

I thought that was a part of the "pure pricing" bull____ that was fed to me in the beginning?

f<beep>k you Don Joseph, and I REALLY hope you read this. I've never heard anything good from your dealership, but you were more convenient.

So now that I took time off of work for this bull____ meeting, that never happend...I'm still unsure of where I stand.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should go some place else.

Sorry they screwed you over like that. :?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default Remember: They need you much more than you need them

I bought about 15 cars so far, and I've had both good and bad experiences with dealers...the one thing I learned, first: Be up front, don't waste their time either; second: you don't need them at all, there are plenty of guys willing to sell a car. I live in Idaho and HATE my local Scion deal due to them totally messing up my last deal on a car and then harassing me 'cause I walked next door (left my trade ON THEIR LOT) and bought a car from their competitor (who walked into their lot to appraise my trade...HA!)...anyway, drove to Portland to get my Scion. Ron Tonkin rocks...that's all I can say...go find another dealer and tell them exactly what you want...I'm sure they'll take care of you. Scion won't put up with that too long.

Too Slow
Old 09-09-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Default Re: Remember: They need you much more than you need them

Originally Posted by Too Slow Monroe
I bought about 15 cars so far, and I've had both good and bad experiences with dealers...the one thing I learned, first: Be up front, don't waste their time either; second: you don't need them at all, there are plenty of guys willing to sell a car. I live in Idaho and HATE my local Scion deal due to them totally messing up my last deal on a car and then harassing me 'cause I walked next door (left my trade ON THEIR LOT) and bought a car from their competitor (who walked into their lot to appraise my trade...HA!)...anyway, drove to Portland to get my Scion. Ron Tonkin rocks...that's all I can say...go find another dealer and tell them exactly what you want...I'm sure they'll take care of you. Scion won't put up with that too long.

Too Slow
I called him when I got home, after I made this thread. He basically said that the other customer was closing his deal, I interrupted with: "So you would want to lose a customer that YOU made an appointment with from last Saturday?" Then he said how he would sit down with me "tomorrow".

Whatever man....I just wanna get a ____ing xB. Period. Stop busting my damn *****.

Tomorrow will be my 4th visit, for the same result.

My 2nd Scion dealership in this two week period as well.

I wanna know why there's a bunch of inconsistantcies(sp) with this "Pure Pricing" bull____.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member

Under: That just sucks. By far, buying our last Scion was the best purchase we have ever done. We were in and out in about an hour...we were able to still make the dinner reservations we had made before heading to the dealer, because we asked how long it would take, dealer said an hour, and I said, cool...I'll make dinner reservations then.

We had a trade, and the sales lady walked me up to a PC they had in the showroom, and had me get on to Kelly Blue Book (KBB.com) and whatever KBB said my trade was worth, that's what they gave me. I was blown away. I had already done all this at the hotel. I knew what my car was worth, knew what my xB would cost (had an estimate anyway, didn't know what "options" it already may have had added) and was ready to play dick-me-dick-you.

Ron Tonkin's crew was great. They said that they use KBB, they do not negotiate from what it says the vehicle is worth, and that was that. They had me look up the price, said that was their offer, and off we went in our xB.

You may want to do some research to make sure you are pricing things accordingly...if you added the TRD lowered springs or whatnot, some of those are priced on-line without labor...and the dealer can do about anything at that point. I know a guy that said he wanted the suspension stuff, and he wanted it all thrown in the back...and went home to install everything.

Good luck man...hope you finally get your xB.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

After re-reading what I wrote last night, I'm sorry man if I came up ____ty towards you.

It was meant in general, and not a personal attack.

I'll know more about everything tonight.

The only options I wanted, are the fogs/mats/rear spoiler.

Everything else, I've found online for far cheaper than what they wanna rape ya for. Besides, I'd much rather pay for something one time, versus 60 times. (60 month loan)
Old 09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

I would like to update this thread, as things have been rectified.

This time I will mention names.

I came back into the dealership, this time was my 4th time.

The scion sale rep also happend to be the owners daughter, Jessica. She immediately introduced myself to the Finance Manager Larry. After a rather lengthy meeting/talk with him about our prior incident (from the day before) things went alot better and I understood the position he was in, and realized it was the front areas problem for them claiming to me that they had informed Larry that I was there for my appointment.

Anyways.

I was brought back out to speak with Jessica, and figure out what kind of numbers I was looking into, and to talk about my trade in. The deal was right, the offer was more than reasonable and very fair, that part wasn't a problem in the least. When I left the dealership that night, I trully felt like I did everything I could have done to work things out.

After a few days Larry had great news for me, and made arrangements for delivery.

It was then, that my complaint about their dealership/service was brought to my attention.

They gave me one free oil change for my negative feedback thread/review on Scionlife and Jessica fully apologized (very sincere) for what had happend prior to our finalizing.

At that point I felt bad about what I had done, but nothing could have taken away my frustration I went through the other day, and it meant alot to me that she went out of her way to satisfy a new Toyota owner. (I've been a Honda person most of my life, and you always re-think switching markets)

In closing, I would like to personally thank Jessica Joseph for all her concerns, and appreciate being able to do business with her dealership now, and hopefully in the future.

Thank you Jessica, and thank you Larry for your hard work in this deal.

David Flathers
"underESTIMATED" xB
Old 10-22-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

i'm glad to hear don joseph scion got you taken care of. i was surprised that that happened because in my experience with dj's they have always been the best of the best. in fact i stopped in there last month and was talking to a guy that has been buying cars from them since around 1968. he is still driving toyotas.
i'm sure your future experience will be nothing but positive. they are one of the few places left that really cares about their employees. some of them have been there 30 years. and they care about their customers too or they wouldn't still be in business.
i bought several cars from them before i moved out of state and they are the best!
take care,
doug
Old 10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by DOUG ESTEP
i'm glad to hear don joseph scion got you taken care of. i was surprised that that happened because in my experience with dj's they have always been the best of the best. in fact i stopped in there last month and was talking to a guy that has been buying cars from them since around 1968. he is still driving toyotas.
i'm sure your future experience will be nothing but positive. they are one of the few places left that really cares about their employees. some of them have been there 30 years. and they care about their customers too or they wouldn't still be in business.
i bought several cars from them before i moved out of state and they are the best!
take care,
doug
Thanx Doug.

I've now had numerous dealings with their departments (Service/Parts/Sales). All of which are pretty good.

Their parts department has went to great efforts just locating some hard to find parts, doing some research to make sure it's the right part. Same with service.

I wish I could have changed my original posting in their review part, because things have been corrected, and was a major miscommunication problem to begin with.

Thanx for your feedback.

Dave