Notices
General Tech and DIY Info for Any Scion

Air Filter Cleaning / Recharge

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 PM

After spraying on the cleaner I fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and let the filter soak for a few minutes . Let it dry over night then apply the oil.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Default Important info about using OxyClean

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
NEWS FLASH!!!

just read this thread over at the Lexus IS forums and found the info to be pretty helpful!

http://my.is/forums/f88/best-method-...s-ever-188702/

you get a bucket, use 2 scoops of Oxy-Clean (scoop included) then 3-4 liters of Soda Water (club-soda), dip your filter for about 5 minutes and watch all the dirt and grime float to the top!!

then repeat the usual steps of Air Drying and Oiling!

Cant wait to try this myself!
This is a truly awesome writeup (from the OP / other forum) about using OxyClean and Carbonated Water. I will implement this method on my filter for sure when the time comes. Sorry if it sounds like I am not appreciative of the poster of this thread...thank you very much dude

I have one very important thing to mention to those of you doing this. Do not overuse the OxyClean. The OP mentioned using 2 full scoops...way too much IMHO. Let me explain myself a bit here.

I am a home brewer and frequently use OxyClean in my brewhouse cleanup. That ____ works great with no scrubbing! I have found on some occaisions that if I use too much OxyClean it will leave a powdery coating on my equipment that is damn near impossible to remove. This happened after leaving my items soaking overnight in a high concentration of OxyClean/water. You certainly DONT want that powdery film on your filter.

Firstly, don't let it soak all night in OxyClean...5 or 10 minutes is plenty...if not rinse and repeat.

I would also suggest cutting back on the OxyClean...say about 1/2 scoop and definately use hot water to mix. As the OP mentioned in a follow up post(other forum), you should always mix the OxyClean first in a smaller amount of hot water to dissolve the powder into solution. Add this into your bucket of club soda and mix well before submerging your filter. As also mentioned adding extra degreasers at this stage is fine. I love Simple Green myself for this kind of stuff

On a side note; If you happen to be a home brewer like myself and have a CO2 setup you can make your own carbonated water for this, but for what it's worth club soda is cheap enough.