Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

3 complimentary oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm going to Carson Toyota in the morning for my scheduled oil change - I dunno too much about oil, but is the 5w gonna make that much of a difference from the 10w?
Old 01-12-2004, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I did my 1st free oil change today

Originally Posted by batute
Originally Posted by smilygo
Does anyone know what kind of oil Toyota dealers use? I was watching the guy working on my car from a distance and he was using oil from a funnel. I have never taken my car to do an oild change and didn't know they used bulk oil. How do we know that they use quality oil?
I'm not sure what brand of oil they use but they use 10w-30, you have to tell them to use 5w-30 ( recommended for scion)
My dealer used 5W30, at least as noted on the work order. Some of them get it right!

Don't be too concerned over 10W30. Unless you live in Minnesota the low-temp flow of the 10W oil won't be any different than 5W oil.

George
Old 01-15-2004, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member

Hello,

I work at a toyota dealership in MD we use quaker state...no no toyota dealership uses synthetic...if you want in in your 1.8L (which is totally usless in my opinion..unless you already turbo charged the thing) any way if you want synthetic u have to supply your own and they will be happy to use that as opposed to their non synthetic...some dealerships may even knock a few bucks off the price since u arent using their oil.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by gstuiep
Hello,

I work at a toyota dealership in MD we use quaker state...no no toyota dealership uses synthetic...if you want in in your 1.8L (which is totally usless in my opinion..unless you already turbo charged the thing) any way if you want synthetic u have to supply your own and they will be happy to use that as opposed to their non synthetic...some dealerships may even knock a few bucks off the price since u arent using their oil.
Keyes Toyota will do Mobil 1 synthetic oil changes upon request in my area....
Old 03-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Banned

Yeah i havent used myne yet ( i have only 2000 miles) What kind of oil do they use?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

we buy pennzoil 10w30 in bulk at the dealership i work at... it sounds like each dealer finds their own supplier and works out a deal with them. we do have toyota oil available upon request, but it's more expensive....

toodles
tim
Old 03-13-2004, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

penzoil is the worst....wow....and they buy it in bulk....no wonder the company stays in business...i dont buy the crap....99cents a quart at pepboys come on now....but hey its your dealer! they want u back as soon as possible buying another car...
Old 03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

FYI: your 3 complimentary oil changes for your scion must be used within the 3yr/36,000mile warranty...if u have not used all 3 by then, they are no longer ne good after that...just letting you guys know....
toyota will not use synthetic oil with these oil changes, u must pay for it....and the first free one is calld a 4week comp which means its complimentary for all toyota's...they have been doing this for awhile...but w/scion u get 3more after that...and the mileage should not matter, u can use them whenever u want to.....
Old 04-14-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
FYI: your 3 complimentary oil changes for your scion must be used within the 3yr/36,000mile warranty...if u have not used all 3 by then, they are no longer ne good after that...just letting you guys know....
toyota will not use synthetic oil with these oil changes, u must pay for it....and the first free one is calld a 4week comp which means its complimentary for all toyota's...they have been doing this for awhile...but w/scion u get 3more after that...and the mileage should not matter, u can use them whenever u want to.....
Can I take my box to any Toyota dealer and get the 3 Oil Changes? Was there any documentation about this? because my dealer knew nothing about it

~WC
Old 04-14-2004, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ScionBandit
Can I take my box to any Toyota dealer and get the 3 Oil Changes? Was there any documentation about this? because my dealer knew nothing about it

~WC
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member

in the back of your scheduled maintenance guide. there are 3 coupons for the oil changes. it also clearly spells out the coverage and how to go about getting the free service.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

Yeah, what jay_b said. Except, I didn't call Russell Toyota in advance and just waited by the Express Lube lane.

The Russell Toyota cashier didn't know about it as well. But the Express Oil Change guys did as well as Greg (service advisor). They forgot to fill out that booklet though :? .
Old 04-14-2004, 01:22 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, this is my first post. Guess what guys, I took my xA to my dealership at 1,875 miles for oil change and I ask for syntetic and they did it. Syntetic Castrol by the way.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

ye, ne toyota dealer....preferably one who actually deals with scions, not all dealers are....wut is ur usual dealer??
Old 07-24-2004, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I've used 2 already, took it back to the dealer. Change it every 3,000 miles no matter what anyone says. I got 243,000 miles out of a Chevy Corsica and close to 200,00 out of a Dodge K-car by changing the fluids regularly. I travel 30-35,000 miles per year so I get the oil changed at least once per month, sometimes less. It pays!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are there mileage restrictions on the free oil changes? I've read that some places will only change when the mileage is at 3k / 5k. I want mine changed with only 1,500 because I want to switch to synthetic shortly where I'll do my own changes.....

Thanks for any info!