Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

All Your Motor Oil Answers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems like time is dragging ... our xB isn't supposed to be in until next Monday, but in the meantime, here's a trick I use on my Maxima ... it might work in the Scion, depending upon how much oil is required for a change.

The Maxima calls for 4.25 US quarts for an oil and filter change (does anyone ever change oil w/o changing filter?)

I use an overlarge filter, so I fill with 4.5 quarts. I buy Mobil 1 in the 5 qt. container.

After I drain the oil, and change the filter, but before I put the oil pan plug in, I measure off 16 oz of oil, and pour it through, letting it drip out. I use this as sort of a 'flush' of the last dregs of old oil out of the pan. Then, I put the drain plug in, and fill normally.

If the Scions take an even amount of oil, just buy one extra quart, and pour 8 oz through before you put the plug back in. That extra quart will last you four oil changes.

(Can you tell I'm impatient to get this car? It's not even going to be mine, but will be SWMBO's daily driver. It's her first new car in 15 years, and her fourth blue car in a row, starting in 1978!)
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VdubbsXB
My plan will be to buy Toyota filters regardless of cost, but that is my plan, yours may vary.

I might add, I have used Fram filters in both Honduh, Nissan and other domestic autos for years with no problems being traced back to the filter. But I will still buy the OEM filter for my xB as I don't want to take the chance by saving a few bucks on a non OEM filter. I will have 100K plus miles in less than 5yrs and want to extend the life beyond that as far as possible.
I'm going to stick with the Toyota OEM filter as well. Somewhere along the line I read some filter comparisons, and in general the Toyota one gets high marks. Most of the cheaper ones, especially Frams, do not. FWIW, I've heard of Fram motorcycle filters failing catastrophically, simply popping like a water balloon. After reading that their automotive oil filters aren't very good either, I decided they're not worth the risk. I don't mind spending the extra few bucks on the Toyota one. The dealership is just a few doors down the street from Advance Auto Parts anyway, so it's not even out of my way to pick one up when I'm buying oil.

--mark
Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great info. I do have a question for you though. According to the article, not using a "Toyota bulk oil" will result in voided warranty? Is this true? EVERY DEALER I've ever taken my car to to get the ol changed uses Castrol GTX. If I have a motor problem I'll be damned if they DON'T fix it!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

bulk oil will vary by location, depending on local availability.

Aside from that, they can't void the warranty based on type of oil, or drain interval, as long as the oil meets minimum requirements and certifications.

Magnusson Moss Warranty Improvement Act. Look it up, read it, know your rights.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The article says Toyota WILL NOT warranty a car that does not use the bulk oil while under warranty. Someone's wrong here...either the article or the MM act. I personally don't have the resources to fight a major corporation over a 2-3k motor....Can someone answer this one?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota's not going to void your warranty because you used a motor oil that's higher-quality than their bulk oil. It would never stand up in court. (They're not even allowed to require you to have maintenance performed by Toyota-authorized mechanics -- as long as the maintenance schedule is followed, even if you do it yourself, they can't void your warranty on those grounds.)

For what it's worth, I stopped into my dealer's service department the other day to pick up an oil filter, and sitting right there on the shelf, first thing you see when you walk in the door, was a set of DIY oil-change kits complete with bottles of Mobil1 oil. Draw your own conclusions.

--mark
Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went out to the garage, and looked at the oil fill cap.

There is printing on there that specifies the oil you need.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) API (American Petroleum Institute) gasoline SL 5w30.

The SL is just a service classification. You should have no difficulty finding a 5w30 oil with the SL classification.

Save the receipts from your purchase of oil and filter (or receipt from the shop that shows you had the oil changed) and you've got adequate proof of your oil changes.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About the 'valve' that someone mentioned on the OEM filter...isn't this valve so in case the oil filter becomes so CLOGGED, it will open the valve and not let the engine starve for oil? Anyone heard of this?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wooooo mobil 1 synthetic is what i use...its the best
Old 12-17-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

For those of you that want to read up a bit on oil here are a few links I hope you will enjoy

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...oil_bible.html

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Good thread.
One other point that a moto-engineer friend of mine told me was that they did a lot of synth oil research at McCullough (the chain saw folks) and found that one other great thing about synth oil is that it clings to engine parts longer after shut down.
So, it clings to parts better/longer and makes cold starts easier on the engine internals.
I use a pretty aggressive oil-change strategy on my cars/bikes, and I've never, ever needed any major engine repairs of any sort.
I swear by Mobil1 and frequent changes.

One last thing in regards to the mini-debate on how long to leave oils in. If you use synth, you will see that the oil is MUCH dirtier than dino after a change with similar mileage - the synth cleans much better than cheap dino crap.
I fall on the side of the poster(s) that feel shorter than recommended periods are better for synth.
Buildup is what kills oils, and a long time burning petro leaves carbons and acids.

Scott
Old 01-16-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Mobil 1 Synthetic- Just switched and motor runs stronger. No noticeable change in gas mileage yet... you can get a synthetic oil change at W-Mart for about $30.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-23-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-16-2006, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

You got a Mobil1 change for $30?
That would be a steal.

Scott
Old 01-16-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ Might have been semi-synthetic...That does sound cheap.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info
Old 01-30-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Toyota OEM oil? You mean filter?
My Toyota dealer's "oil stickers" in the window have Mobil on them...they likely use that, or another name - brand.
Ask them.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another option that a friend of mine practices (not on a toyota) is to run synthetic oil and change only the filter every 3000 to 4000 miles... and then change the oil every 8000ish...... as someone pointed out, the oil takes a lot longer to break down but can look dirtier because its cleaning the engine well. wether or not, just changing the filter is a good idea... well I dunno but hios truck always ran fine....
Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know what the exact prices are for synthetic oil changes at service places like Valvoline or Jiffy Lube?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ Too much. But, I've read that a number of folks take their own oil/filter with them and some charge between $10-20 to do it.

Scott
Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VdubbsXB
... the OEM filter has a valve in the filter to keep the oil from leaking back down into the pan when the engine is shut off, some non OEM filters do not have this valve and thus causes the engine to suffer longer periods of oil starvation at start up....
The oil filter on our engines points down. It is a cup. Oil cannot leak down out of the filter.

Quick Reply: All Your Motor Oil Answers