Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Any good hose add-on, or use just an old fashioned sponge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any good hose add-on, or use just an old fashioned sponge?

When doing a general washing what should I use, like a sponge or are there any brush/cleaner attachments, etc.?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would really avoid a brush or the like. They tend to have tougher bristles that can scratch your paint. Use a sponge or better still, a microfiber-wrapped sponge.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
I would really avoid a brush or the like. They tend to have tougher bristles that can scratch your paint. Use a sponge or better still, a microfiber-wrapped sponge.
Where can you buy a micro fiber sponge? Do you recommend like the target "vroom" series or whatever? Can I trust that for my microfibers, etc.?

Also, do you clean your side-skirts, fenders, and bumpers last since they tend to get the most abrasive grime?? What is the best sequence to go about washing my car?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I got my microfiber sponge at Target I believe. They are not too tough to track down. At the top of the Maintenance and Car Care forum, there is a sticky with a comparison of a bunch of Microfiber brands. I do own some Vroom MF towels and have had no problems, but I do the polish and wax cleanup with some nicer towels from Meguiars.

I clean from the top down, and wheels are always last. I do clean the front bumper and side skirts last, and I hose off the sponge very well after each panel. The very last spots are the portions of the side skirts which are inside the wheelwells. Wheels are always last and I never clean a panel after I have touched the wheels with the sponge. Brake dust across paint=very bad. I wash every towel and sponge in a washer after every use.

And of course... if you drop any sponge or towel on the ground, discontinue its use until you have washed it.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, unless its a boar's hair brush (expensive) avoid brushes at all costs. Use a natural sheepskin wash mitt. Wal-Mart of all places sells a nice one. The brand is Eurow (with a 'w') and they're only $5. I keep 2-3 ready for washing. One is for washing the main body, the other is for washing the front and rear bumpers, glass, and the lower portions, the last one is a spare, just in case I need it. I also use the two bucket method (one bucket holds clean water, other is soap water. Rinse out your mitt after wiping on paint in the clean water, then dunk your mitt in the soapy water).
Old 05-14-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

you could always go out and get a foam gun :D
Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PhotoKyle
First of all, unless its a boar's hair brush (expensive) avoid brushes at all costs. Use a natural sheepskin wash mitt. Wal-Mart of all places sells a nice one. The brand is Eurow (with a 'w') and they're only $5. I keep 2-3 ready for washing. One is for washing the main body, the other is for washing the front and rear bumpers, glass, and the lower portions, the last one is a spare, just in case I need it. I also use the two bucket method (one bucket holds clean water, other is soap water. Rinse out your mitt after wiping on paint in the clean water, then dunk your mitt in the soapy water).
All great advice!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PhotoKyle
yeah, what he said. brushes,bad-tree,pretty!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

a pressure washer also does wonders! my dad just picked up a smaller one from homedepot. it is wonderful. i hose the whole car down pretty well, the pressure gets alot of the dust/dirt off the car. then when i wash it with a sponge it comes out looking amazing. and no, there has been no problems with the paint flaking or anything of that nature.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I use a micro-fiber waxing pad (fresh of corse) and it hold the soap well and is specifically designed to not scratch (also got it at Target for like $2.00). DO NOT USE SOAP WITH DETERGENT = paint/ clearcoat killer.