Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

I give up... what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I give up... what do I do?

Ok, so I had a MAJOR bug problem... bug guts + hot Alabama sun = eww. So, I went to it... two washes, nothing... Toyota Bug and Tar Remover... nothing... Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover... nothing... finally thought I'd found the solution, Meguiars clay bar and Quick Detail... went to it, felt the bumper... SMOOTH AS GLASS! HURRAY!... wiped away the juice and... wtf? Car felt smooth, but the blemishes are still there.

So now I give up. What now? I contacted a detail shop nearby and am waiting for them to get back to me. Am I screwed?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you're going to have to use a polish on the paint. Something along the lines of Meguiars Scratch-X - those imperfections are actually paint on the top surface that got eaten away by the acidic bug guts.

I would recommend a "second stage" polish after the first, sort of like a "final-cut" polish, and then a sealant (such as Klasse-All-In-One) and then your choice of toppings, either an acrylic sealent-wax (like Klasse-Sealant-Glaze) or your choice of wax.

If you take the steps to put a protective coating on the vehicle first you can avoid these things in the future. Also getting the bugs off quickly is the next best choice (such as a quick detailer spray after each and every drive which only takes 5 minutes)

Also www.autopia.org is a great place to start, they also have a store that sells some very high quality stuff.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

possibly, I detail cars as a side job. Most likely you left the bugs on the front bumper too long ( like more than three -5 days) and the bugs etched into the clear coat. If you see whote marks where the bugs are than you clear coat is toast.

Its the same thing here in Oregon. In my part of the state we have alot of rivers, lakes and stream which all feed the bug larve. people here leve the bugs on all summer!

I also work at a body shop. get an estime to re-clear coat your front bumper. It would be cheaper than a full refinsh job. My shop would charge .5 of and hour to remove you bumper, and hour of prep, and hour of clear time. Your probably looking at $150 to clear of $350 to repaint and clear

good luck!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the marks aren't white per se (I assume you mean white like a scratch sort of white) it's more of a ghosted grey.. hopefully the Scratch X/Polish will work, I'm going to at least try that before I get it re-cleared.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I think the Scratch X actually worked... however I can't totally tell because it is dark out... I'll try again early tomorrow morning... pray for me.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

remember to put some kind of protectant on your paint to prevent that in the future
Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean a polish after the Scratch X before the wax, right? I have Scratch X and then Meguiars NXT... what's a good polish to go between that I can find at... well, I know Wal-Mart didn't have anything so I guess I'm goin' to Advance Auto tomorrow...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I use a dryer fabric softener sheet. Wet it and it takes bugs off like nobodies business. Even if I don't wash the whole car I at least take off the bugs.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well, you won't really find anything at local stores that's a second polish, but if you are definitely looking to buy something local, look for products that say they are "all in one" products that "polish and protect"

nothing is all in one, but it's a start that could help the end result after your NXT.

Oh, and make sure to apply the NXT as thin as you can get it, as in, to the point of not thinking you're applying the product to the car... it will do just as well as overusing the product.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Use Pledge to make the bugs not stick in the first place. I also use in on my plexi motorcycle windshields. Makes them come off easy.