Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

I have A PROBLEM WITH MY XB! please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default I have A PROBLEM WITH MY XB! please help.

I purchased my 05 XB last year. I was a huge fan. I needed this awesome looking car. Loved the room, and the comfortable seats. I even suckered up for the super low profile Pirellis and the TRD wheels. Which made the ride too much like an ATV. I re-replaced them with factory and that solved that. Bumpy but not so much, anymore.
Over the time I have had it little things have fallen off.
1.the plasic latch to the pull the seat down for more more trunk room.
2.the little plasitc honeycomb grill things in the front of the car.
3.many more
But they replaced those things at the dealership, without any problem.

A few weeks a go I attmpted to open my trunk. And the whole component came out of its sockets! It is hanging on by the wires only. I figured that I would be able to go to the closest TOYOTA dealership, and they would take care of this. This being what I consider to be a faulty part. I have had no accidents. Yes the bumbers are scratchy, after parking in tight spots on the street in San Francsico. But the trunk itself is pristene. The dealer sent photos of the dmaege to SCION corporate. The dealer tried to indicate that I must have been hit. Scion then determeined that this part was not covered under the manufactures warranty. So now I cannot lock the car. Any of the car. The the trunk is always unlocked so The key locking transitter wont allow it to lock. I cannot get areason out of them why they wont fix this. I have no record of an accident. I am trying find the name/addresses of the SCION CEO so I can send letter. ANy ideas. I cannot afford a lawyer and it is not going to be worthit. SCION is aslo refusing to pay for the part itself. I am sure I cannot not the only one this has happened to.

I wanted to love this car. It has underperformed and I thought at least it would be covered by its own warranty. I dont even have that. WHAT CAN THE LITTLE GUY DO?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did you try contacting Scion HQ yourself:

1.866.70.SCION

Maybe the dealer REALLY didn't call or contact HQ and they are just BS'ing you..
Old 11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear it man but you should try to find a non lucrative or gov institution that will represent u for free something like consumers affairs or lemon law i don't know if any or these are available in ny. i know those two exist in cal .
or just check your local yellow pages they should have a number listed with non lucrative organisation that will be able to hel p
good luck
Old 11-29-2005, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey ya man i just check my yellow pages and look on the inf pgs and look for consumers info they have a few number.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member

Default XB problem

Thanks for the input so far. It is nice to know that the web affords this type of forum where you can both extoll the virtues of something and also be critical of it.

I did really talk to HQ myself, but because it is under the umbrella of Toyota, they don't really let you get any further than that. HQ is just another name for customer service snd little else.

There will come a point where its not worht a second more researching this apay up, but it is so frustrating. Scion could refuse any thing they want regardless of hat the contactual obligations of a warranty are.
But like i said it's sad, this car is such a great idea, why so much trouble?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Write our friendly Attorny General!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were hit, insurance should cover it.

the dealer says you were hit, that should be good enough for insurance
Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default xb money vacuum

i was not hit. it was a fualty piece of plastic. Toyota/scion has refures to pay for it and likened it to someone who may be hard on their brakes. I am very frustrated because they can deny an coverage they want.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do your bumpers get scratched form "the streets of San Fancisco"

Please post pics of you bumpers,- mabey it does look bad!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you lock you back doors with your hand then lock the others with the key? i know this question sounds bad, but i'm not trying to be a jerk, just don't know how else to ask this.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default to XB or not to XB

thanks for the thought. I love this forum, probably more than the car at this point.
yeah, I canlock it from the inside. But that does not remove the idea that I cant open the trunk from the outside. I can sporadically make it work. But the real problem is the limited warranty coverage. They were so skeptical that this happened without some user fault, that they flat out denied liability for it's coverage. I really feel that there are going to be more and more irate scion owners with malfunctioning scions. I was such a huge fan too. it still is acool looking car. But not of real Toyota standards.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default They kind of suck that way...

I have 51k on my box already, and took my car in for the second to last free oil change... The guys at the dealership were quick to point out to me that, because of my intake/exhaust/groundwire-vr setup, my warranty was void. Then they said that it expired at 50k anyways. I didn't really think about it then, 'cause nothings wrong with the car. But really the warranty is 'til 60k, and the warranty is only void on those things that I replaced.
The laws regarding these things are too vague and really is in the hands of whoever has the power. If you have the money to fight them- it's still cheaper to pay to have it fixed.
I actually feel like the warranty being void at 51k is kind of liberating. Now I can mod it and f@*k it up all I want, and not care if the inept toyota service guys will give me 'the look', or if they'll cover it or not. THEY WONT.
Also, when I got the car from the dealer, it came with 18' c5s on it. About 3 weeks later I took the lug cover off and noticed that with these rims the stock lugs only thread about halfway on (not the safest)...so when I went back to the dealer the guy said that it was because I had "aftermarket wheels that were not proper fitment for this car and that it would void the warranty on all suspension parts". I had too point out that they were "the dumbasses who put the wheels on to begin with". I learned early on that the dealers will avoid anything that is a cost to them in any way they can.

Sorry to carry on like that, but this stuff gets me a little excited.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn, that is weak how they are denyin you.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well find some stock rims put them on and tell them " fix it".