Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Mirror Configuration...no blindspots

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Mirror Configuration...no blindspots

OK...here's a suggestion. Some time back, I found a way to set mirrors to completely avoid blindspots. The theory behind rearview mirrors is to see what is behind you right? Wrong. They will show you 180 degrees or more if you use them correctly. If I get in other people's cars, you can see right down the door and the side of the car. If you move the mirrors out 20 degrees or so, and watch a car passing you from the rear, they should move from your rearview (center) to your side mirror (either side) into your peripheral vision, and then ahead of you. This setting uses the full scope of the mirrors instead of 1/3 of each mirror. It takes a little getting used to, but it is very useful once you get used to it.

Of course this is assuming you allow people to pass you. Ha.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im confused on what you are trying to say. i think a picture is in order
Old 04-12-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Huh? Got any pictures?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

he's saying angle your side mirrors out so that you can see people go from your rearview to your sideview mirror.... isn't that what everyone does anyways????
Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got the panoramic mirrors with my CF mirror covers and the field of vision is INCREDIBLE. I can see the C-Pillar to the sidewalk on both sides. I don't mean see down the side of the car til it appears to end, but actually SEE the rear end of the car. With a car about 5 or more carlengths behind you, you can see it in both side mirrors. It takes some getting used to since the depth is thrown off a little, but I try to always look and not just rely on my mirrors anyway...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I use 99 cent blind spot mirrors from Wal mart and even my Toyota dealer(that was a shock), they're about 2 inches and I fit them on the outer edge of the outside mirrors, no blind spots, have used 'em for years on all 7 cars and even put 'em on rentals when I get 1, beats trying to look over your shoulder.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
he's saying angle your side mirrors out so that you can see people go from your rearview to your sideview mirror.... isn't that what everyone does anyways????
uhh yeah I thought so too...
besides it doesn't work in all cars...
I adjust while driving and passing.. or when I'm driving past a row of cars...

but just to let you know.. there are still blind spots... cars cutting through from two lanes over will be in them... so you still have to check unless you are the one speeding.

I used to set the driver's side mirror wide (to get the blind spot).. but on the xB, you can't see down the left lane that way (and the rearview only let's you see behind you). But really in any car if you need to spot the blind spot just lean forward a little.

oh and the reason why they tell you to sight the mirror with a piece of your car in view is b/c it helps most people gauge distance...
Old 04-12-2005, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

He is correct. I learned how to set my mirrors this way when I learned how to drive...40 years ago. You set your left side mirror so that a car passing you on your left merges from the inside , center rear view into the left outside mirror. Ditto for the right side. The only problem I have on the xB is that my right side mirror won't pan out far enough based on where I have the seat positioned for this to work 100%.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Mirror Configuration...no blindspots

Originally Posted by wulfedog
...Of course this is assuming you allow people to pass you. Ha.
funny. that's me, but I'll be paying for it as soon as I see the judge.

Originally Posted by English
nope, I do the thing where I have the side of my car in the side view. I do it so everything I see in it is relative to where I know my car is. 'till now it just made sense to me. but I'm gonna try out this new fangled way of doing it.

thanks wulfedog, this is one of the most informative posts I've seen in a long while.

chris
Old 04-15-2005, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my mirrors set this way and i based it on a simple piece of advice i was given. "When was the last time your rear fenders didn't follow you home?..... Then why do you need to keep an eye on them?"

Take your side mirrors and move them out just past where you see the side of your car.

I did this in the tC and it makes a hell of a difference. I can see the whole lane in the mirror and just as someone is coming out of view in my sideview i can see them out of the corner of my eye.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

yeah putting your mirrors (on the xB) as far out as you can, coupled with a panoramic broadway mirror (or an el-cheapo walmart convex mirror) essentially eliminates blind spots. so many people feel a need to see what is behind them in 2 different mirrors, which is silly.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just drove around today with my mirrors configured like this. it was weird but very helpful, I like it.

chris
Old 05-27-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Blind Spot Mirrors / PHOTOS

I need to see as far back as I can with all three of my mirrors. The rearview mirror is limited by the roof, so both side view mirrors are needed to see if that cop you just passed is turning around on you. The solution for me is the 'Blind Spot Mirror'. Many advantages:
NO blind spots
NO part of mirror view is sacrificed as it would be if on the outside part of mirror
NO one can sneak up to you in your blind spot and stick a gun in your face
Blind spot mirror blocks the light from the headlights of the car behind you
This configuration will allow the XB mirrors to fold in fully.... see photos...

At night, turn the rearview to 'night' mode and the headlights of cars behind you are blocked by the wide angle mirrors so that glare is reduced.
(rant follows) Law in all 50 states, REQUIRES that you check your blind spot by turning your head, bending your neck to check, no matter how many mirrors you have, so this is not a replacement for that REQUIREMENT. You will not get a license if you do not do this for the instructor/inspector. But when was the last time you saw anyone actually turning thier head? I do it every time, it is part of my M.O. as it should be. But, there is no cop watching you, and your mommy isn't watching either, so why make this required effert? Better to kill several people than to bend your neck.
(rant over) This 99 cent modification is very functional and recomended by xBHAWK!!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just check your blindspot. Its much safer that way, and no matter what mirror "techniques" there are, you will have no excuse for slamming into a motorcycle, moped, bicycle, pedestrian, or merging car that you didn't see because it was too much of a hassle to check your blind spot.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by enigmon
Just check your blindspot. Its much safer that way, and no matter what mirror "techniques" there are, you will have no excuse for slamming into a motorcycle, moped, bicycle, pedestrian, or merging car that you didn't see because it was too much of a hassle to check your blind spot.
yeah do that. everyone will be safer on the road too
Old 05-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by enigmon
This is correct. That would be like backing up by just using your mirrors. For a falesafe solution ... turn your head and check your blind spot.