Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

oil drop forming on oil drain plug...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default oil drop forming on oil drain plug...

so i looked at my oil drain plug yday and i saw a small drop forming.. very very slow. I wiped it and it was oil.

I changed my oil about 2k miles ago. I changed it again after being worried and made sure that everything was tight. I used a new washer as well. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Maybe I just didn't tighten enough last time I changed the oil? I'm not sure...

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you used a new washer, it's got to be loose.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Banned
SL Member

^^^ not necessarily. You could have either installed the wrong kind of washer. You could have over tightened it causing a small buckle in the washer allowing a slight leak under high pressure. Or you could have not tighteded it enough.

What you need to check is that your under carriage isnt saoked with oil that has been leaking and got caught up in the movement of your car and blown the oil back underneath the rest of the car. If this is the case and you do see oily deposits on the underside of your car then you leak is more then just a drip.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yea, i double checked it today. i put a whole piece of cardboard overnight and when i woke up there was nothing. I'm going to attempt this again to make sure.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to loosen and then tighten the plug a few times to work out any little bit of grit that may be between the gasket and the oil pan causing a little leak. It may also be the little bit of oil in the threads working it way out from the last oil change. There is no pressure on the inside of the oil pan - the filter on the otherhand can have about 85psi of oil pressure on that rubber o-ring gasket so check the filter for oil drips too. Always lube the gasket with fresh oil and tighten 2/3 of a turn after the gasket makes contact. Do not over tighten or else the gasket can be damaged and the filter may become very difficult to remove.