Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Scion tC 2006 Repair Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Default Scion tC 2006 Repair Manual

My engine light came on and I will require to do a smog test. I ran the code and it showed P0012. I look up the possible issues with the code and I can't afford to take my car to the shop to do repairs, so I plan on doing the repairs myself.
My tC is a 2006 so I'm looking for a repair manual. Any suggestions on where I can obtain this manual for free? I would appreciate any help on this issue. I have been searching all day and I can't seem to find anything so far.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-10-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mtnbiker1208
My engine light came on and I will require to do a smog test. I ran the code and it showed P0012. I look up the possible issues with the code and I can't afford to take my car to the shop to do repairs, so I plan on doing the repairs myself. My TC is a 2006 so I'm looking for a repair manual. Any suggestions on where I can obtain this manual for free? I would appreciate any help on this issue. I have been searching all day and I can't seem to find anything so far.
Honestly bud, of all my experience and vehicles... if you can... get the $30 and go buy a Chilton's manual from Auto zone / Advance Auto / local auto parts store. Saves you the $$ from a diagnostic check and it will be 110% worth the $$ plus you have all that information right at your fingertips the next time something arises!!

I would imaging tho, with enough digging here you should find the info you seek regarding your code...
Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, Info on what your looking for is out there. A quick google search of "scion tc p0012" yeilded more than few results, do a little searching next time.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139887 --For example

Secondly, if you can't afford to take the car to the shop, you deffinately can't afford to screw something like this up. It may be a quick repair (probrably not, looks like its a VVTI-actuator problem) or something more serious. The guy in the thread I just posted for you ended up removing the crank.

Crappy situation, but I would reccomend not doing this yourself, especially since you can't be bothered to do a little research.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:28 PM

I did do a google search for "Scion TC P0012", and I did notice issues with the VVTI-actuator problem, But I didn't see the extent to what you show me in the link. I was afraid it was going to be that problem. I was going to look into these other issues:

Incorrect camshaft timing
Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)

This may be all related to the actuator, but I wanted to see from a manual at what I am specifically looking at. Seems like I have no choice but to really pay money to get it fixed. I guess I can't complain my car did get 211,000 miles before the check engine light went off.