Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

What is this blue light It is always on

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default What is this blue light It is always on

What is this blue warning light for??
I just picked up the xB and the light hasnt been off yet...

thanks a lot.
Matt
Old 10-17-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That light indicates that your engine is still cold and is warming up. Once your engine is warm it should go away.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by PandaIst
That light indicates that your engine is still cold and is warming up. Once your engine is warm it should go away.
hmm mabey i need to go get it checked out ...
since it is always on...
thanks Matt
Old 10-17-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know. you probably dont need to unless you're doing fairly long trips where the RPMs are high. I live in Nebraska (which has probably about the same temperature if not higher than Wisconsin) and mine doesnt turn off for quite some time. It's cold out and it will take longer to warm up unless you push it. thats just my .02. i wouldnt worry about it immediately. now if it was overheating then i would be worried. hope this can put your worries down a little bit.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
i dont know. you probably dont need to unless you're doing fairly long trips where the RPMs are high. I live in Nebraska (which has probably about the same temperature if not higher than Wisconsin) and mine doesnt turn off for quite some time. It's cold out and it will take longer to warm up unless you push it. thats just my .02. i wouldnt worry about it immediately. now if it was overheating then i would be worried. hope this can put your worries down a little bit.
I gotta go get my rear floor mat then ill ask them about it...
thanks,
Matt
Old 10-17-2004, 02:05 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O i c. sounds like a good plan then. Hope its all ok. I think it should be. It is the best vehicle ever created after all! :D
Old 10-17-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It shouldn't stay on once the car is up to normal operating temp. Mine goes out within a few blocks of home, of course it may be a little warmer here in Cali.

Normally, when the light is on, the car won't shift into O/D. If yours is staying on and keeping it out of O/D, it'll cost you some serious MPG...
Old 10-17-2004, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my experience and observations (and reading the owners manual) the blue light is the "cold coolant temperature indicator" for the radiator coolant. It is there to let you know that the engine is not yet up to operating temperature and that you should wait until you turn on the heater or you'll get cold air. It also means that you probably shouldn't drive like a maniac or your gas millage will suffer.

On my xB with an automatic, the computer actually prevents the car from shifting into 4th gear until the light goes out. It seems to be designed that way to help warm up the engine quicker. It is my theory that such a design will prevent cold engine sluggishness and reduce pollution by bring the catalytic converter up to its operating temperature more quickly.

It seems odd, but it works. I live in NY and the car only takes about 4 minutes to warm up when driving.
:D
Old 10-17-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rallyxb

On my xB with an automatic, the computer actually prevents the car from shifting into 4th gear until the light goes out.
Actually, one of the worst things you can do to a motor is run the RPM's at a higher range with the motor not at normal operating temperature. I noticed my xB will shift at a higher RPM when cold. So now I just put it in drive and let it coast at 5mph or whatever it coasts at until the light goes out ...I only do this at the house since it's a residential area. At work I just sit still until the light is out or for a couple minutes then coast the parking lot. By the time I exit she's ready to go.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmm... Guess it's an odd design then?
:?:
Old 10-17-2004, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's not going out in a reasonable time, then there is a problem, might be the temperature sensor or the thermostat. Take it to the dealer to get checked out.

George
Old 10-17-2004, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

owners manual. . . . . . . . .. . . .
Old 10-17-2004, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those of you who said it is a "cold coolant" sensor light, are correct. But this does not mean your engine will be damaged from high RPMs. Do not get coolant temp and oil temp confused, as they are not the same thing. My suggestion is to go back to the dealer and ask them if this is a common problem in your area. I've grew up in florida, where coolant temperatures are always warm, even if your thermostat is stuck open. I've been here in WA for about 4 years now, and needless to say it takes a much longer time for the coolant to heat up. What did I do? I added "water wetter" and made a bracket that blocks off 1/2 of the radiator (I'm sure you big rig drivers know what this is) Basically it lowers the airflow through the radiator and causes less heat exchange, thus allowing your car to reach optimal temeratures even in sub freezing temps.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had a similar problem (and did the same things) on my old Subaru.
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open and is not allowing the engine to come up to temperature.

Better take it in to the shop.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back in 1961 when in the Air Force in Germany an acquaintance had an accessory added to his Mercedes. It was a window blind type of thing mounted in front of the radiator. Controlled by a chain affair from the dashboard. It was installed at a dealership. I have since looked for such a thing in the aftermarket and never found one. So sad as this was one of the practical add ons that I have seen.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to worry guy, this light will go out after the car reaches operating temperature. don't take it to Toyota unlessit NEVER goes out after 5-8minutes or so. just to save a trip to Toyota and be embarssised (man i cant spell for S*it!)