Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Cops don't like Carbon Fiber hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I live beside a police station so I'm really cautious in all that I do to my car.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2
Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

nice to see over 60 comments in my thread.
I've learned lots of things from your comments thanks alot.
maybe my carbon fiber project (not really a project tho) is done now lol
I will keep it stealthy
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah you can still do it...but just don't drive like you want trouble. Just drive normally.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CA police sucks!! Ive never been stopped before but I am afraid i will once i get my 8000k HID's oh well its a risk I see a lot of HID conversions lately in San Diego.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hard to believe the state that gave birth to, and set the standard for hot rodding has now become the People's Republic of Cali! Its un-American. Wouldn't worry too much about not installing a CAI. I wish I had saved my money on my xA. No noticeable increase in power. Good sound, though, so I keep my foot in it and lose my gas mileage!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by smokeydog001
Hard to believe the state that gave birth to, and set the standard for hot rodding has now become the People's Republic of Cali!
We're still the standard; home to the freshest rides and most bada$$ tuners on the planet. The years may have changed, but the game hasn't.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

you hate cops now but when someone's shooting at you, who you gonna call?

and if you hate the laws about modding your cars in Cali so much, MOVE! we don't have any inspections here, move to a State like us with no emissions laws
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Originally Posted by smokeydog001
Hard to believe the state that gave birth to, and set the standard for hot rodding has now become the People's Republic of Cali!
We're still the standard; home to the freshest rides and most bada$$ tuners on the planet. The years may have changed, but the game hasn't.
Yeah, I always wanted to go out there in the 60's. Had I lived out there i think I would have been into the dry lakes scene. I still enjoy dreamin' though.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I live in Maine, but my state inspection office said that if the CAI passes carb in Cali its okay, but I dont think he knows what hes talking about. Im gonna plan on getting the CF hood, cause I dont want to paint the Flexfiber version. Im gonna set up some questions in a packet/booklet of mods etc I want to do and send it in to my state trooper inspection office and dealer to see what is legal and not. I mean I want a nice ride. But dont want to be late for work, or go through the hassle of saying Im not illegal.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Excuse me, but the proper title is The Liberated People's Absoluetely and Completely Democratic Free Republic of California.

About the mufflers/emissions laws in CA; There are two things a muffler in CA must meet;
1. Noise (95 dB - I think this might have been raised to 96 dB recently -I'm not sure)
2. Smog (Changing out the muffler must not impact smog - well, it won't anyways).
3. (SUPER SECRET HIDDEN LOOP HOLE) - in CA, there's a law somewhere for muffler shops that say they can't swap out OEM mufflers for any muffler not "Equivalent to OEM" or something like that. So basically, any muffler shop that puts on any muffler other than OEM is breaking the law (technically)

Reasonable cause - Definition (from lawyer.com)
1 : See also probable cause
also
: a fact or circumstance that justifies a reasonable suspicion
compare reasonable suspicion
2 : a reason that would motivate a person of ordinary intelligence under the circumstances <reasonable cause to believe abuse had occurred>

In Cali, reasonable-ness and probable cause for the cops seems to be self-evident. If you've got something on the outside of the car that looks "different" seems to automatically mean you've got "different" stuff on the inside.

Keep it sleeper - a car that has high performance and an unassuming exterior
Old 02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Redneck Sleeper www.ejstreasures.com/Sleeper.jpg

Old 02-05-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
About the mufflers/emissions laws in CA; There are two things a muffler in CA must meet;
1. Noise (95 dB - I think this might have been raised to 96 dB recently -I'm not sure)
It's still 95 dBA

3. (SUPER SECRET HIDDEN LOOP HOLE) - in CA, there's a law somewhere for muffler shops that say they can't swap out OEM mufflers for any muffler not "Equivalent to OEM" or something like that. So basically, any muffler shop that puts on any muffler other than OEM is breaking the law (technically)
CVC 27150.1 changed that to allow for aftermarket exhausts that are under 95dBA (thanks SEMA) and doesn't affect smog.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Here is a post from a different forum:
This is based on California law, which of course, is based on Federal Law. All states must grant at least the protections granted by the SC,though, some states may have given MORE protection to their citizens based on State law, or the State Constitution, so perhaps where you are, it may be stricter.

The Federal Gov. has granted everyone (well, almost everyone, lets stop there) many rights. One of them, the 4th amendment, protects the people from "Unreasonable searches and seizures" Unreasonable has been defined by the Supreme Court to mean a "warrantless" search. So, if the cops have a warrant, then the search is valid. There are, however, (I believe) 6 exception to the warrant requirement. Basically, in these 6 instances, the cops DON'T NEED A WARRANT. One of these exception is the Automobile Exception. (Carroll v United States) This means that if the officer has Probable Cause that the automobile has illegal items or was used for criminal activity, then the officer can forgo the warrant, and search the vehicle. Now, Probable Cause (PC from now on) is defined as "reliable information or evidence to support the officer's reasonable belief that a crime has been committed and that the defendant committed it. Realize, there is no DEFINITE definition, because there courts have/must interperate what that means.

To further complicate things, the SC has ruled that in order to stop a vehicle, the officer only need REASONABLE SUSPICION. A reasonable suspicion is an articulable reason to suspect that a person has engaged in or is planning to engage in a criminal act. To be valid, a reasonable suspicion must convince an uninvolved reasonable person when described to him; a mere hunch or nebulous suspicion is not enough.

So, the officer only needs RS to pull you over, but PC to search your car.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can tell you this... CF hood only attracts attention but you would not get pulled over for it... From experience I never got pulled over for CF Hood... once I got my loud exhaust was when they pulled me over like non stop but I had to keep getting it written off by cops... then i went back to quieter exhaust and got my bright ___ paint job... real smart of me right but i only got 1 ticket compared to like 4+ since my exhaust and that ticket was because I was going 100+ on i5.... I live in California by the way and I haven't been asked once to pop the hood even the 2 times I got pulled over by CHP...

get it cause CF doesnt make much of difference... cops just give about loud a** cars and racing in California... they only pop hoods if excessive speeding or racing 99% of time... unless its one of those nights they know there a big meet or shows like HIN and they want to get heavily modified cars off the street...

Modified or Unmodified looking your car is, the cop will always come up with bs in California if they want to pop your hood or not...
Even though they might not have reasonable suspicion, they can still come up with bs....

City cops don't give a f**k about modified cars... the only cops that care are CHP since they are tech under "state jurisdiction" so they can tech pull you over anywhere even on city streets unlike city cops which have jurisdiction only in their city. Knowing cops they will not pop your hood even CHP unless you are driving and doing something hella stupid or racing...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy necropost!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

i agree with tckid21..you can't get a ticket for having carbon fiber but you can get a ticket for something like a loud exhaust..I have carbon fiber parts on my car and I havent gotten pulled over for it...get the carbon fiber...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow@ stupidity in this thread. Plus you can PAINT carbon fiber. Cops don't "target" c/f $hit unless you drive like an idiot.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how is CAI illegal?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cause its for "off road use only" which is stated...
Im not sure if its all states but California is for sure...

Quick Reply: Cops don't like Carbon Fiber hood?