Notices
Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

New Wisconsin Insurance Laws

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation New Wisconsin Insurance Laws

Effective as of June 1, 2010, every Wisconsin driver is REQUIRED to have auto insurance. Driving without it is ILLEGAL!

They passed the mandatory auto insurance law as part of the state budget. Its hard to say though how many will actually follows this law because they wont have you actually prove you have insurance unless you get pulled over.

You are required to carry with you an insurance ID card or slip of paper. Failure to do so and getting pulled over will cost you $10, not having insurance at all will cost you around $500.

As if that isn't bad enough, they are now upping the auto insurance limits that we are suppose to carry, along with adding an additional coverage.

We will now be required to carry Underinsured motorist coverage also, which up until then was optional. Adding to that we will also need to have a policy providing at least $50,000 in bodily injury coverage for one person, $100,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident and $15,000 to cover property damage. The current limits are $25,000, $50,000 and $10,000, respectively. The higher limits go into effect on Jan. 1 2010.

It also requires that we have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage with at least the minimums of $100,000/$300,000 Bodily Injury Coverage.

So what does all this mean for us, higher insurance costs and more and more drivers on the road not being able to afford those insurance costs because of the economic crisis were in right now. If we triple the amount of the minimum coverage that can be offered in Wisconsin, then more people who cannot afford it will drop their Car Insurance altogether, which will increase the cost of Uninsured Motorists Coverage, and Underinsured Motorists Coverage, for those of us who do keep up our Car Insurance.

I myself think that the financial responsibility law is just fine!!!!

Brilliant Governor Doyle! Let's drive out the Filmmakers who spent $18 Million in Wisconsin last year, and now lets raise the cost of Car Insurance so that more people in Wisconsin will drive without Insurance.

Congratulations to any Low Income Democrats who voted Doyle into Office for another term. You have just done yourself a big favor.

Wanted to fill you all in on this and maybe get some feedback/comments from you all

Further Info here: http://www.jsonline.com/business/51147942.html
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait... you could drive in WI without insurance?!

You can even register a car in NY without proof of insurance. And I'm happy for it! I don't want some broke **** hitting me and not being able to pay.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought everywhere required insurance (not like it matters since so many people still dont get it; or cancel it right away after getting their new registration sticker). plus insurance is required if your car is still under loan
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I think Wisconsin and New Hampshire are the only states that don't require its drivers to have auto insurance.

The new law doesn't bother me so much as I have a loan for my car and I already have enough coverage to cover the limits. It will just suck for everyone else who can't afford insurance from having to cut back.

I can understand them requiring insurance, and i'm all for that. At least make it reasonable though, where everyone can afford to get it.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 PM

I can appreciate having adequate coverage for your vehicle and those that ride with you. I would like to decided on my own how much coverage I will have on our vehicles rather than being told what to have. Having a 16yr old male driver hasn't helped keep cost down though either. 4.52 gpa, no driving issues, devfensive driving courses, drives roughly 40 miles a week if that and the fact the he basically only gets to drive the '95 Toyota and they still want a ridiculus amount for coverage/
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I don't have a problem with forcing people to have insurance. Sorry, but if you can't afford an insurance payment, you shouldn't be driving.

All the liability stuff is cheap. You don't need collision and that's always the most expensive part of the policy. I have full coverage on my car for 100 bucks a month and more than half of that is the collision... sorry, but state minimum insurance should be mandated everywhere. It's not THAT expensive.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seriously. having insurance on a car, and coverage for personal injury of other people is a must. if you can't afford it, take the bus.

you guys are lucky, MD is ridiculous with their insurance tracking. my scion was in my father's name, but i was the one with the insurance policy on it and paid the premiums the whole time. when we transferred the title to my name, there wasn't any change in policy on my insurance, but then the MVA sends me warnings saying "it has come to our attention that your car is not insured, and blah blah blah, we will fine you unless you send proof of insurance and whether or not it was ever in violation of this"

so in MD, if you don't have car insurance, or in my case, the MVA thinks you don't, you'll hear from them without even being pulled over!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Good, I can't tell you how many uninsured motorists claims I have to deal with at work on a daily basis (its scary to say the least).
Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I kinda like it. heh, I wished we had laws about emissions on cars 95' and older. at least smog tests or something. ppl here are driving around in old rusty cars that they really don't care about and produce nasty smog as their cars burn oil or something too. HATE to have one of them hit me....
Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kmx22
yeah, I kinda like it. heh, I wished we had laws about emissions on cars 95' and older. at least smog tests or something. ppl here are driving around in old rusty cars that they really don't care about and produce nasty smog as their cars burn oil or something too. HATE to have one of them hit me....
I totally agree with that. Guess that's a good reason for Wisconsin to pass that law, along with a few other reasons.

I still think though that they should require us to have insurance, but let us pick the limits that we can afford. That way everyone could have insurance and have no reason not to
Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by donnyp05tc
I totally agree with that. Guess that's a good reason for Wisconsin to pass that law, along with a few other reasons.

I still think though that they should require us to have insurance, but let us pick the limits that we can afford. That way everyone could have insurance and have no reason not to
you don't understand, insurance laws are there to protect you and everybody else on the road in the event of an accident. the driver at fault is liable for all the damages the cause in that incident.

say somebody hits your car, and causes you a large amount of damage, but their insurance coverage rates are really low and are not enough to cover your damages. where does the money come from? the insurance company paid out the maximum amount that the policy allowed for, so now you have to sue the other driver, and chances are if they can't afford decent insurance coverage, even if you win the case, the chances of you getting your money are pretty slim, or they'll just trickle in.

same goes for you, say you hit a ferrari, but your collision coverage isn't enough to cover repairs, well, the owner can sue you for the remainder of the damages. you're life will suck.