Notices
Regional - Islands HI, Puerto Rico, Guam

Big Island xB owner have cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Big Island xB owner have cruise control?

I'm wanting to get a Rostra cruise control for my 2006 xB, either the RF (radio frequency) kine or the lever kine, but I'd like to one or both kinds installed to see if I am comfortable with the buttons. Perhaps someone on the BI has one?

I'm so used to my '97 Saturn's CC being on the right side, and being able to drop my finger down from the 2:00 o'clock position on the steering wheel to actuate any button.

I'm told that the Rostra RF actuator clips onto the steering wheel but not very securely (it moves a little when a button is pressed)—and, it looks like it will only attach at the 4:00 o'clock position on the steering wheel.

I could get used to the lever being on the left side but the buttons look like they require one to take their hand off the wheel to press.

I will be able to tell by looking if I could make either work for me. I stop by all the xBs in parking lots to see if they have CC.

Thanks,

Kerry

BTW: I just installed the permanent PerryCraft Dyna Sport rails 65" (No Bend) DSXX65, and the removable Mont Blanc crossbars MB3747, and 4 vinyl roof-top strips — ($350.90 including shipping). I must say it looks very nice. I mention it in case anyone is thinking about getting them and would like additional instructions/tips. The factory instructions are pretty lame.

Update on roof rack crossbars: I got a chance to use the crossbars and discovered that the weight of 100 LBs caused the bottom of each crossbar clamp to touch the roof causing a minor indent (the indents were not permanent). Even thought the rails have a middle support bracket

The next time I attach the crossbars I'll see if I can fashion a spacer to fit between the top of each clamp, where it clamps down on the top of the rail. I think a 1/8" thick PVC pipe cut to fit the curve to the clamp will force the crossbar to ride a bit higher.

I wrote to Proline.com about the fact that the rails and crossbars are not a good match but I haven't heard back from them.

Update on the Rostrat RF CC: A poster wrote that he heard that it caused some kind of interference. True or not I don't want to risk the possibility of messing up my sound system, so I've ordered the stalk kine
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update to Rostra's Cruise Control.

I bought and installed the lever kine (left side of the steering column) and it works nicely.

If anyone needs help I'd be more than happy to help them as they install it. I found Rostra's instructions to be terrible but I gathered tips from different sources and essentially rewrote the steps for myself.

Kerry
2006 xB