SNOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Default SNOW!

so how is the snow treating everyones scions? I was spinnin my wheels a bit today in the grocery store parking lot b/c they were still in the process of plowing. Plus, i had to shovel a bit
Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The back end was losing grip regularly, spinning me sideways on the FREEWAY. Seems I need to investigate some new tires... ugh! (I got off the freeway and took local roads all the way to Minneapolis... what a pain!)
Old 12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

had no issues with the snow at all. got my winters on and they are doing what they are designed for, keeping my **** on the road.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Streeter,
In winter .... Keep foot out of throttle to keep speed.....
Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by nds_CARnivore
Streeter,
In winter .... Keep foot out of throttle to keep speed.....
Ha. Ha ha. ;)
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by Streeter
The back end was losing grip regularly
same here
Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Okay, the TRD 18s are coming off on Wednesday. I like to skate--when it's *my* idea on a rink with skates--not in my car. The 18s have a wider wheel, which is great when it's dry or raining...not so much grip when it's snowy. I got it lowered last month. I know, I'm slow, but I got tired of feeling my back teeth clack together when I went over bumps. It will be interesting to see how it rides on the alloys lowered.

Here's my question: I am eventually going to swap out the stock wheels that came with my Green Machine for winter tires. What do people recommend? The dealership doesn't handle snow tires, so they told me to go to Goodyear. Blizzaks? Something else? I am so old, I remember chains on tires, and studs, which destroyed the roads but , boy, did they have traction! Tire recommendations? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Nance
Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NanoScion
Okay, the TRD 18s are coming off on Wednesday. I like to skate--when it's *my* idea on a rink with skates--not in my car. The 18s have a wider wheel, which is great when it's dry or raining...not so much grip when it's snowy. I got it lowered last month. I know, I'm slow, but I got tired of feeling my back teeth clack together when I went over bumps. It will be interesting to see how it rides on the alloys lowered.

Here's my question: I am eventually going to swap out the stock wheels that came with my Green Machine for winter tires. What do people recommend? The dealership doesn't handle snow tires, so they told me to go to Goodyear. Blizzaks? Something else? I am so old, I remember chains on tires, and studs, which destroyed the roads but , boy, did they have traction! Tire recommendations? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Nance
Hi nancy!
i've had my stock eagle ls on steelies and they seem to be working fine. are you looking for better than all seasons tire performance?
how are you anyway? what's new at rudy luther?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes, I figure I may as well have serious snow tires on the stocks since I'll be only using them in the winter. They're swapping them out as I type right now, so I'll probably end up getting the snow tires next fall now.

I'm okay! I'm "In the Spirit of the Season" now and I like the snow, I just don't like how crazy people get when they drive in it. Sitting by the window, I see all of the crunched cars towed in from the nutso fender benders. Minnesotans seem to have some sort of dementia that they can't remember how to drive in snow from year to year--heck, from snowfall to snowfall!

I've got my thinking cap on to do something fun for Scion folks this winter, but nothing original is coming to mind. I really liked clearing the show floor and having people bring their cars in last December, but that wouldn't be new and different. Maybe I should make it a tradition!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member

Took off the summer tires the night b-4 thanksgiving and put on the stock wheels with yokahama ice-guards for the winter...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nancy the stock goodyears are working just fine for me you just need to take it slow...because of your age
Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default SNOW

yourself! I have to go fast because I am old and haven't much time left, so I need to get places sooner than everybody else, right?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that is ok nancy you left the door open and i had to walk thru
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Me, I have to run through the door. Old, remember? Miles to go before I sleep. I should have roller blades, but I'd fall down and hurt myself...
Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

then if you are afarid of falling you should get one of the ruberduckie floaters for the kids and put it on your hips so you have bumpers for when you fall
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Steve Cannon on WCCO radio (the station that all of our moms had on when we were kids because they broadcast the school closings) used to say the way to walk on ice is to do like the senior citizens do: spread your feet to shoulder width, lean forward, and shuffle. So you see, that's actually a calculated walk...

If I wore a rubber inner tube around my waist, it wouldn't pad the part I would most likely land on. I know it's plenty padded already ( I am well-upholstered) but that upholstery has nerve endings!!! I fell on the ice last winter here at work, and spent three months seeing a chiropractor. Going to put on my spikey toe caps this year. Look out! :D
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

http://www.impactjackets.com/

Old 12-12-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Steve Cannon...WOW. him and old Morgan Mundane used to heat up the kitchen at the grandparents house...... Then i found FM (no static at all) and life hasn't been the same. I no longer care about pork bellies, stock on the hoof, or the farmer's almanac.... But good image from Childhood there, ICE WALKERS
Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and sign me up for that jacket.... I've rolled a Bike before and luckily didn't get hurt very bad, but that thing is the answer!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I wasted a little time looking for a video I saw from the UK, I think. It showed some construction workers up on scaffolding, then falling off the scaffolding. They were wearing suits that inflated before they hit the ground, and they basically bounced around like the kid in "***** Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." I'm bummed I couldn't find the vid. If anybody knows what I'm talking about, or finds it, let me know. It's making me crazy...

Hmmm...oops. Topic here...ahhhhh, they looked like a couple of snow tire tubes with people inside them... Heh.