Notices
Scion FR-S Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help!! Hit a puddle now Car won’t Start!..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 01:41 AM

Default Help!! Hit a puddle now Car won’t Start!..

So I was driving home and I hit a fat puddle and after the puddle smoke started to come from under the hood I’m not for sure where it was coming from because it only lasted for about 5-10 seconds but the car was still running and I was able to make it back home.
Then the next day I went to start my car and the engine wouldn’t turn over and the only sound the starter made was one click when I turned the key. I’m not for sure if I fried the starter or what but if you guys could help me solve this with out taking it to a shop and
paying hella money for something I could fix on my own that would be awesome!

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-26-2020 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 11-26-2020, 04:35 AM
SL Member

In my opinion, It sounds like the starter failed, but I would check out the area where you hit the puddle and look around from there for any possible damage. What color was the smoke?

It would be a good idea to check the battery terminals and battery just as a precaution because you always want to get the basic stuff out of the question and then examine the wires going to the starter for any breaks.

There could be a chance that your starter solenoid just failed and has nothing to do with hitting the puddle.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by JakeAut0
In my opinion, It sounds like the starter failed, but I would check out the area where you hit the puddle and look around from there for any possible damage. What color was the smoke?

It would be a good idea to check the battery terminals and battery just as a precaution because you always want to get the basic stuff out of the question and then examine the wires going to the starter for any breaks.

There could be a chance that your starter solenoid just failed and has nothing to do with hitting the puddle.
the smoke was white and would have have to get a new starter if that’s the case? But imma look at the car tomorrow and check all that’s wrong. I’ll let y’all know tomorrow how it goes.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 AM
SL Member

First thing you need to do is check the air filter. Pray it's not soaking wet. If it is you need a pro to look inside the spark plug holes and make sure water wasn't hanging out in the cylinder overnight.

Check battery voltage, check starter.