Notices
Scion iQ Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover

Hey fellow IQ'ers. I have a new mod to my IQ. Its a new product coming out by Key Techniques. It their new Toyota/ Scion IQ Keyhole cover. It is just a cosmetic cover for the drivers side door keyhole. I hope you support the people over at Key Techniques so that they can product more high quilty product for us Toyota/ Scion people. They can be found at http://www.keytechniques.net/Wiper-plug-V2.html

Instructions on using your Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole covers

Warning
* Your keyhole covers are not colored plastic they are painted so please treat them with care and don't manhandle them

Mounting:
The covers consist of two parts.
1. Cover
2. Stem

NOTE: You may want to purchase a little tube of rubber cement otherwise known as contact cement.

Toyota/ Scion IQ type covers:

The stem on the IQ cover comes with a thin coat of contact cement to roughen up the stem and add tension to it. Observe the diagram closely to figure out the orientation of the eccentric stem to the door lock and insert the cover by stabbing it downwards and pushing the stem into the keyhole, then move it around until it is flush as can be. You will notice that the cover goes only one way due to the eccentric stem. If it does not go in on the first try changing the angle until it goes in but don't be rough with it. Remember that you will not get it to be absolutely flush due to the irregular thickness around the hole but you will find that it comes within acceptable range.

The Keyhole cover should fit relatively snug but it is best to remove the cover after you have them seated well and add a small bead of contact cement on the stem, Wait 10 minutes then insert the Keyhole covers into place. The contact cement only touches the hinged door in one small area on the out side of the lock and the rest is floating on the inside and touches nothing. This will insure that no one can easily remove the cover or any chance of it falling out. I recommend this step to ensure your satisfaction. Contact Cement is a low tension adhesive which is water resistant available at any automotive or hardware store for under $2.00. Please only use this adhesive and not a stronger one.

Removal:

You will need to first push the cover down and insert your driver’s license or credit car through the gap and fish it out. The adhesive point on the lock hinge stretches and the cover is free to come out.

Reinsertion:
Take a Q-tip doused in Alcohol and clean the adhesion point on the out side of the lock hinge which dissolves easily and replete the procedure.

The adhesion method is non destructive and can be cleaned up easy with any solvent.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover-2013-02-16-11.28.39.jpg   Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover-2013-02-16-11.29.01.jpg   Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover-2013-02-16-11.30.46.jpg   Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover-2013-02-16-11.35.48.jpg   Toyota/ Scion Key Techniques Keyhole cover-2013-02-16-11.37.28.jpg  

Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the idea, Innovative, would I do it? Nope. Still neat to think outside the box.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Default Swiftly, and with style...

One clever touch on the iQ that is not present on our older xB is the use of screw hole covers on the screws through the bottom of the hand grips on the doors. That's a little touch that I would expect to see on a Mercedes, not on a mass-market car like the Scion models.

Due to their location in the bottom of the grips, those screws usually get too much crap on them, and end up rusted. No such problem on the iQ...
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member

I just ordered the keyhole cover and the rear window wiper cover from their website.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
I like the idea, Innovative, would I do it? Nope. Still neat to think outside the box.
The Keyhole cover can be popped out. It's not permanently affixed. A good tug with a credit card, or something like that, and it comes right out.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will it fit in a scion tc hole?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Will it fit in a scion tc hole?
they have one for the tC
http://www.keytechniques.net/Scion-Main-page.html