Notices

Toyota Considers Building Scion in U.S., Part 2

Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

there is an interesting comment made by autoblog.com on this topic.
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000093063845/
It’s likely also part of Toyota’s recent efforts to avoid governmental protectism for the Big 3, as the Scion in particular has been the target of some mumbled allegations of “dumping”
has anyone else heard/read anything about these dumping allegations?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

has anyone else heard/read anything about these dumping allegations?
I can tell you that they aren't making anything close to a profit on every Prius they sell, that's for sure.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
I would rather have a car made in Japan because I don't trust my fellow Americans.
What about the technicians that inspect your scion again before you ever even see it to make sure there are no defaults that need to be addressed before it's put on the lot.... or the ones who fix your lovely little scion whenever it happens to break?

So even though I work my ___ off in school, getting my degree... all my toyota certifications... work two jobs to do it and keep up with homework... do you not trust me, as an American, to fix your car, or even make sure it's fit for you to buy in the first place.

Even coming from Japan.. they don't all come in perfect condition... we go through them with our check list and find pleanty of problems, from Japan, that we have to fix before we can even sell the car (cost gets charged back to Toyota, so no added cost to you)

But still.... "Made in Japan" does not equal perfect. However, Toyota Quality equals Better than the rest, period. Thanks in part to AMERICAN technicians.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Killa -

No beef, but as I'm sure everyone on this board can attest, the quality of automotive technicians, of all makes, is spotty at best. I'm sure everyone has a horror story of being screwed by the dealer, someone not fixing something, someone doing an unecessary repair, overcharging etc.

To answer you question, I trust the technicians who work on my car even less than the people that build it. Look at all the people who can't get their rattles fixed.

There are plenty of really good techs, but there are also plenty of morons and until you get your car back at the end of the day you don't know who worked on it.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamesgang
Heard a "MotorTrend" radio cast yesterday. One of the features dealt with Mitsubishi, their new truck, and their general marketing strategy. They are going full force to make sure the US buyer understands they are the oldest Japanese auto manufacturer. Apparently they've discovered JDM sells.
Listened to another edition of this radio mag. Found out the new Mitsubishi truck is a Dodge Dakota reskinned. Marketing is a wonderful thing.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

My mom drives a 2002 Honda Osyssey, She has about 45,000 Miles on it. It was built in the USA (Ohio If I am not mistaken). Since she bought it in August 2002 its been Recalled for:
1.) A faulty shift into second gear, so Honda installed an Oil Jet kit, or replaced the complete transmission.
2.) A faulty EGR valve, it was replaced by Honda.
3.) The water Pump castings on the V6 motors for that year was bad so they had to replace that cuz the belts were getting messed up, Honda Replaced that.
4.) The timing belt tensioner is bad and it made a mess in my mom's engine bay, Honda replaced that in compliance of a recall.
5.) And some of the V6 blocks were made poorly and is known to be porus, Honda released a TSB for it, if it is found to be porus The dealer mechanic is to use JB weld to seal the leak.

Now my Scion was Built in Aichi, Japan in December 2003, I have 50,000 Miles on her and the only recalls I had were:
1.) The Gas tank was replaced because the filler pipe was too small and clicks off too early. No Drivability problems.
2.) The A/C was replaced for a stronger one. I live in LA It can get hot out here.
3. The Pioneer Stereo skipps and my CD got stuck in it, It's a USDM mode so naturally it sucks donkey *****, even the new one had the same problems.

This is why all my cars will be Japanese built IN JAPAN!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

My mom drives a 2002 Honda Osyssey, She has about 45,000 Miles on it. It was built in the USA (Ohio If I am not mistaken). Since she bought it in August 2002 its been Recalled for:
1.) A faulty shift into second gear, so Honda installed an Oil Jet kit, or replaced the complete transmission.
2.) A faulty EGR valve, it was replaced by Honda.
3.) The water Pump castings on the V6 motors for that year was bad so they had to replace that cuz the belts were getting messed up, Honda Replaced that.
4.) The timing belt tensioner is bad and it made a mess in my mom's engine bay, Honda replaced that in compliance of a recall.
5.) And some of the V6 blocks were made poorly and is known to be porus, Honda released a TSB for it, if it is found to be porus The dealer mechanic is to use JB weld to seal the leak.

Now my Scion was Built in Aichi, Japan in December 2003, I have 50,000 Miles on her and the only recalls I had were:
1.) The Gas tank was replaced because the filler pipe was too small and clicks off too early. No Drivability problems.
2.) The A/C was replaced for a stronger one. I live in LA It can get hot out here.
3. The Pioneer Stereo skipps and my CD got stuck in it, It's a USDM mode so naturally it sucks donkey *****, even the new one had the same problems.

This is why all my cars will be Japanese built IN JAPAN!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HARROW! I still vote for Japan, HAREGATO JAPAN! HAREGATO JAPAN! you Japanese make the best cars in the world!!!!!!
You Japanese always beat those Big Amercan Cars with V8 engines or higher!(High on Gas) while Japanese only build 4 cylinder (Low on Gas) cars that could beat a bigger engine.... ah-ha! take that....lol
Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is just too funny
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bB626
why build it in the US? the reason why i got my xB is because its 100% made in Japan...
+1
Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as they keep the quality then it's all good. hopefully toyota won't make the same mistakes as the US car manufacturers did in the past years.

lemme guess, with subaru now part of toyota. i won't be surprised if the WRX impreza will have another face lift.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member

Keep building them in Japan...they have better assembling quality. US built Toyota cars tend to be more problematic than the Japanese built