xB-type Anti-skid System Gaining Ground in USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB-type Anti-skid System Gaining Ground in USA

It was very prescient of Scion to include electronic stability control in the xB. Here's a list of all the vehicles equipped with electronic stability control.

http://safercar.gov/pages/ESC-Equipp...cles-2006.html

Paul
Allscion -- an e-commerce website with news and accessories for your Scion vehicles
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/15128683.htm

Toyota offers it as a $650 option on 2006 Camrys and Corollas. Beginning next year, it'll be standard in every new Volvo. At the other extreme, ESC is available, either standard or as an option, on only a quarter of 2006 Chevrolets, Dodges and Fords, mainly high-end models and SUVs.

When it's offered as an option, few buyers bite even though it costs just $300 to $800, said Jonathan Linkov, the managing editor of Consumer Reports' autos section. "Like many safety features it's something you hopefully don't experience ever, which makes it harder to sell than a sunroof," he said.

Consumer Reports recommends cars with ESC and suggests that buyers ask dealers whether any cars they're interested in include it. The technology goes by different names; Nissan, for example, calls it Dynamic Stability Control, and Saturn calls it Stabilitrak.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is that the thing that goes beep when I turn onto the freeway wraparound really quickly at a steep rate?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure is.

oh, and how much do you want for that condo rent in Destin? I bet me and a few other starving military guys could rent it out.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Off topic but how's hurlburt I'm at McChord
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, am I the only that can't find the XB on that list?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

How long does it take for a division to become its own brand?
Title = Toyota
Insurance = Scion (Van?)

But to get back on topic, does VSC require changing all the tires, so they maintain the exact same diameter? Or shaving the new tire to match?

After about 6000 miles, I experienced a shoulder/sidewall puncture, necessitating replacement. Goodyear guy said the tread depth difference wouldn't be enough to cause any problems, and that it really only mattered for AWD drivetrains.

Since then, I've seen the vsc light blink on (no beeper) and felt a slight braking tug, at um 'high' speeds, once while raining, once while dry, over the course of six months. Rotated the wheel to the back earlier this month and haven't noticed anything since.

How much of a tire diameter difference is allowable before it could cause a wheel speed sensor problem?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

BTW, am I the only that can't find the XB on that list?
It's in the Toyota section under Scion xB
Old 07-27-2006, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member

About your tires and what the Goodyear guys said... Well, as technician, if the front tires have a difference of more than 4/32nds, I usually recommend a set of tires if not rotate them to the back to prevent any sort of vehicle drift at high speeds.

As for how it affects traction control. I believe that tread depth plays a major role in traction control. If the tread depth between the two front tires have more than a 4/32nds difference, I would assume that the difference in rolling circumference is enough to activate the traction control system before it is really needed. This is because the system uses the abs wheel speed sensors to measure the difference in wheel speed. If one of the wheels seem to be spinning faster than the other due to a difference in rolling circumference like say in fast cornering or wet and slippery conditions, I would assume the traction control system would activate and try to correct the problem.

But that's only my assumptions.. I'd have to drive the vehicle to really diagnosis it..
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

do tc's have this?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

isn't this an option for the xa now?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The most aggravating thing about VSC is that it is tied in to other systems and trips out for a myriad of reasons. Sure is nice to have it as a standard feature though.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you get it as an option for the tC?

I dont know how much it would have helped me (I just totalled (pending but close) my tC on the sidewall of a freeway goin at least 60-70. And I was dodging a tire...something like this could have helped me when i was loosing control of the car after.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dexter_5000
isn't this an option for the xa now?
ESC was included in the RS-1 Scion xA, but isn't an option on the standard xA. It's really not that expensive to offer, so I don't know why all car companies don't list it as an option.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member

In my opinion VSC and TRAC should be standard on all Toyota/Scion vehicles and have the ability to shut it off...especially in bad weather areas because it significantly improves vehicle travel. DOES ANYONE HAVE TROUBLES IN THE SNOW WITH THERE xB????? i KNOW MINE IS LIKE A RABBIT WITH SNOW SHOES ON.....
Old 07-29-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pnx-r
About your tires and what the Goodyear guys said... Well, as technician, if the front tires have a difference of more than 4/32nds, I usually recommend a set of tires if not rotate them to the back to prevent any sort of vehicle drift at high speeds.

As for how it affects traction control. I believe that tread depth plays a major role in traction control. If the tread depth between the two front tires have more than a 4/32nds difference, I would assume that the difference in rolling circumference is enough to activate the traction control system before it is really needed. This is because the system uses the abs wheel speed sensors to measure the difference in wheel speed. If one of the wheels seem to be spinning faster than the other due to a difference in rolling circumference like say in fast cornering or wet and slippery conditions, I would assume the traction control system would activate and try to correct the problem.

But that's only my assumptions.. I'd have to drive the vehicle to really diagnosis it..
Think about it. The xB has a temporary spare whose rolling radius is _very_ unlikely to be perfectly matched to the other tires when it is installed, yet this does not make the VSC go nuts. The programming of the system is therefore flexible enough that it can handle a modest difference in rolling radius.

George