Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Installing separarte switch to parking light on Scion tC 09

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Installing separarte switch to parking light on Scion tC 09

I have a Scion tC 09 and the parking lights stay on when i have my low beams on. I need to know how to install a separate switch to my parking lights because they are red LED and i need to be able to turn them off when needed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-17-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you want to do that in the first place?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because hes using the parking lights in the high-beam reflectors as red led for-show-only lights.

The best way to do this is get 2 four-pin automotive relays. For each parking light, cut one of the wires going to the bulb on the back-side of the headlight, doesnt matter which one. Crimp female connectors onto both ends of the cut wires. You are going to use one relay per parking light. Connect one end of the cut wire, say the one going to the car, to pin 87, and connect the other end, in this example the end leading to the headlight to pin 30. Repeat on the other side of the car. Now connect pin 86 of both relays together and then make a 3 way splice and connect to the battery (thus both pin 86 are permanently seeing +12v). Now connect pin 85 on each relay together and make another 3 way splice and run the wire (that is connected to both pin 85s) and run it through the firewall up and to where you want the switch mounted. Connect it to one end of the switch. Connect the other end of the switch to a ground. Any bolt into the metal chassis will do just fine.

The result will perform like this: When the switch is closed (flipped to ON) the relays will see a -GND and they will both close, this will allow the the parking lights to receive power as normal. If the switch is open (flipped to OFF) the relays will also stay open and not allow the circuit for the parking lights in the high beam reflector to flow. So if your switch is on, the red parking lights will come on when you turn on the rest of the parking lights at the headlight switch stalk. If your switch is off, then even when you turn on the rest of the parking lights, the red accent lights will stay unlit.

I'll make a diagram for you next time I need a study break.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Im gonna cut the green wire, which is the positive.
If you do make a diagram, it would help a lot.
thank you
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM

the reason im doing this is because it's illegal to have red lights displaying in the front of the vehicle. only the back of vehicles are allow to have red lights.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Batman's pretty much got you covered. If you're looking to simplify even more, you could locate your switch in the engine bay, you wouldn't have cabin control, but if you're driving, they shouldn't be on anyways.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
Because hes using the parking lights in the high-beam reflectors as red led for-show-only lights.

The best way to do this is get 2 four-pin automotive relays. For each parking light, cut one of the wires going to the bulb on the back-side of the headlight, doesnt matter which one. Crimp female connectors onto both ends of the cut wires. You are going to use one relay per parking light. Connect one end of the cut wire, say the one going to the car, to pin 87, and connect the other end, in this example the end leading to the headlight to pin 30. Repeat on the other side of the car. Now connect pin 86 of both relays together and then make a 3 way splice and connect to the battery (thus both pin 86 are permanently seeing +12v). Now connect pin 85 on each relay together and make another 3 way splice and run the wire (that is connected to both pin 85s) and run it through the firewall up and to where you want the switch mounted. Connect it to one end of the switch. Connect the other end of the switch to a ground. Any bolt into the metal chassis will do just fine.

The result will perform like this: When the switch is closed (flipped to ON) the relays will see a -GND and they will both close, this will allow the the parking lights to receive power as normal. If the switch is open (flipped to OFF) the relays will also stay open and not allow the circuit for the parking lights in the high beam reflector to flow. So if your switch is on, the red parking lights will come on when you turn on the rest of the parking lights at the headlight switch stalk. If your switch is off, then even when you turn on the rest of the parking lights, the red accent lights will stay unlit.

I'll make a diagram for you next time I need a study break.
my switch is a rocker switch with an led. it has 3 prongs instead of 2. how would i wire it where the led will work?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look here:

http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic18145
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres a quick diagram I drew up fo you

Name:  litswitch.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  66.7 KB

if you want the switch to light, you need connect pin 86 of both relays to a constant ground, any metal bolt in the engine bay should work. Then run a wire connected to pin 85 on both relays through the firewall to the + output pin on your switch. And connect the + input of your switch to a constant power source such as the pin shown in this picture with a red arrow pointing to it. This is located behind the the plastic cover below the switch panel

Name:  domecontrol.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  39.7 KB
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 AM

Thank you
Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problem, update with some pics