Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Moonroof sometimes won't close when hot out

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

that happened to me today! lol
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rawkerstatus
i think ur supposed to use lithium grease or something of that sort
That'll work fine, as does silicone spray, graphite, various oil based compounds, etc. There are pros & cons to each, but they'll all resolve the problem.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Moonroof sometimes won't close when hot out

Originally Posted by shadowhawk
Hey there,

So I have one of the very earliest 2006 tCs (got it in the first few weeks of the 2006 model year, so like July 9, 2006).

I started seeing an intermittent problem with my moonroof earlier in the summer, and it's pretty intermittent. I just want to see if anyone else has seen it in their tCs and whether you've been able to fix it.

So here's the problem. I have my moonroof open (fully or in that 3/4 open position, I don't think it matters), and I go to close it. It goes fine to the point where it automatically stops itself. From there, when I hit the button and hold it to close the moonroof, it might go about half an inch or a bit more, then it retreats back to...I think the mostly-closed auto-stop point.

If I try it a few times, sometimes it does close all the way. What guarantees that it'll work is if I reach out my window, up to the deflector, and press that down, and *then* use the button to close the moonroof.

I don't think it's simply a matter of something being in the way of the moonroof. It seems to happen mostly when it's hot outside or maybe it's just when the tC's moonroof has been heated enough. Maybe something expands enough to be a problem? Or could it use some lubrication?

Anyway, it's annoying, but when I mentioned it to the dealer service-person when I took it in for service last, of course I couldn't get the moonroof to show the behavior. The guy thought it was probably just something stuck in the way momentarily.

Soo....Has anyone else seen this in their moonroof? If so...did you manage to get it fixed? And if so, how?

Thanks!
=> Edwin
Didn't read the replies, so dunno if anyone mentioned this. But I had this exact same problem, with the same age of the car (I got mine July 7, 05 ) I didn't have to press the deflector down to get the roof to close, but basically "stuttering" the close button got it to finish closing. And it very much happened intermittently and when it was hot out or been open a long period of time.

Solution? I took it to the dealership and mentioned it to them while they did the 30k mile/3 year tune up and they greased the rails. I haven't had a problem since. It actually feels much smoother to close the roof than it did previously.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Originally Posted by Rawkerstatus
i think ur supposed to use lithium grease or something of that sort
That'll work fine, as does silicone spray, graphite, various oil based compounds, etc. There are pros & cons to each, but they'll all resolve the problem.
If you use lithium grease on the tops of the rails, use a thin film of it so it doesnt gather too much dust and grime.