Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

P0444 and P04445 CEL 06 tC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Default P0444 and P04445 CEL 06 tC

I've had a good run 8yrs 110k no issues with car - at 110k had to replace a catalytic converter ($700), I just took it in for 115k service and got the bad news 2 of 4 tires were splitting open had to replace all 4 ($670 w/ oil change)... the VERY NEXT DAY the check engine light is on again... took it to advanced auto and I was given these 2 codes:

P0444 – Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
P0445 – Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted

I couldn't find anyone with the same codes online for a tC, anyone have any experience with this? It's not going to stop my car from driving so I'm reluctant to go running back to the dealer to fork over a few hundred more dollars at this moment the tires already were a nice financial blow to the wallet. Codes seem to be pointing to a wiring/electrical issue specifically with the purge control valve, I doubt it's the gas cap (no leak codes).

Anyone know the purge control valve is located? Might take a peak myself.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well unfortunately this is a very large running system in the car. Basically all these codes are saying is that you are losing fuel pressure somewhere and vapors are escaping. Could be a vacuum line or fuel line or injector seal or yeah gas cap, the most common. Check every single line you have and lines running back to the tank. I'd buy a new gas cap from scion. Get a 2010 though, the older ones had some sort of fault deemed unreliable. Let us know and keep diggin. Either way I'd say it's worth the $90 to have Toyota figure out the problem and then you can fix it once they tell you man. I hope you get it squared away. Let us know and report back to this thread.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Problem solved... When I was at advaned auto the guy recommended fuel system cleaner and a full tank of name brand premium fuel to clean out the system. My CEL went off after ~280 miles of driving with Shell V Power and a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner. :D

Mind you I never used fuel system cleaner in this vehicle before and always bought el cheapo gas (Mapco, Raceway, Kroger, etc.) I'm still going back to cheap fuel, but as a prevention measure I think I'll start incorporating fuel cleaner at regular intervals with my vehicles now. If it took 115k to gunk up and the additives seem to work as well as they appear to I don't think continual cleaning (using name brand fuel with additives) all the time is necessary. I'm thinking every 15K (once a year ish) would be good to flush out the crud.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guy, if your seriously using Kroger fuel intentionally time after time, then you deserve what's coming to that car...
Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM

Agreed, I'll be a test monkey... bought the car brand new and like I said it made it 8yrs 115k miles on el cheapo fuel with no problems. Fuels is fuel only difference is the additive amounts and formulas (detergents) so to strike a balance to reduce crud I'll dump in my own cleaner to keep it in check, one bottle reversed enough damage of 8yrs of cheap fuel to get everything running good again that's impressive.

I know I'm speaking blastphemy to some... the 2 guys I work with are both the "I only fill up with Chevron" types IMO the cost difference doesn't justify it for me. I've even had some swear up and down Chevron gas gives them a big MPG boost (most likely was attributed to not using the A/C so much on that fill up or other factors)... no matter what I've filled with I always get ~30MPG (I calculated it at each fill) I don't care who's gas station it is.

For the record I do avoid the little run down mom and pop ones. I primarily use Raceway and Mapco (TN based), very rarely I will go to JetPep (AL based), Kroger, Wal-Mart or Kangeroo.

For the sake of the community if I'm wrong and something clogs up and fails on me I'll post it here.

Last edited by gamepro86x; 03-06-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. Alright cool man. Respect to you then. Drive on, and that combustion chamber will tell you how it really feels about you soon enough. The fuel cleaner just cleaned it up enough to rid the CEL, not completely fix or even take away half the damage.