Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Really loud engine knock?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 AM

Default Really loud engine knock?!?

So I have an 08 tc that I've had for about 5 years. Since the day I bought the car the engine had the common noisy valve train/ticking issue. Also oil consumption has been less than par, both very common issues from the threads and forums I have read. No cel the whole time I've had the car reg oil changes too but this is MY problem...

I was driving home on the interstate when out of nowhere, with a slight engine jerk something breaks/snaps and the subtle ticking turns in to this horrible knocking and clanking. The engine shuts off and I manage to pull off on the shoulder and I try to crank it back up, it turns over maintains idle but the knock sound is ten fold. Something in my upper head or exhaust manifold has catastrophically failed. I had it towed to my house where It turned over again maintains idle (a little rough) annnnnd no CEL!?!?

The knock is still there and horrible like the sound of a dying car if anyone has some insight or experience with this issue any help would be appreciated thanks!!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have ran it too far down on oil or the oil broke down and it's not lubricating any longer. You shot a main crank bearing allowing for the rod to have movement on the crank as it goes up and down. The bearing material has since worked itself through your entire motor causing for the entire thing to be useless. Drain your oil and you'll see all of the metal flakes. Essentially, you have blown your motor. A CEL will not flare due to a blown motor, because no sensors are being activated.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
You have ran it too far down on oil or the oil broke down and it's not lubricating any longer. You shot a main crank bearing allowing for the rod to have movement on the crank as it goes up and down. The bearing material has since worked itself through your entire motor causing for the entire thing to be useless. Drain your oil and you'll see all of the metal flakes. Essentially, you have blown your motor. A CEL will not flare due to a blown motor, because no sensors are being activated.
I'm afraid your right criminal. From all the research I've done so far that seems to be case. Thank you for your reply it's was a big help
Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really sorry man. That's what's up though. Did you take an oil sample and see the flakes? What was your oil level? Also, that might not even matter because regardless, moving parts just sometimes have a tendency to give out, so that might have been all that happen... I'm guessing ran low on oil.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 PM

Yeah I took a sample and though I've never actually seen flakes in oil before I'm certain that's what I have. The oil is almost metallic in appearance as if the flakes are really really small. So yeah id say yes. I had checked the oil at a rest stop about 100 miles before the breakdown, and it was good the same level also when I checked it after it was towed
Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, any metallic is all you are looking for. So that's absolutely what you have, a blown motor. Luckily you've had it for a while (5 years you said), so it's probably paid off mostly, if not entirely. So it is worth some cash. Get what you can for it, and use that as a down payment on a new car buddy.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

Yeah it's been paid off for a little over a year so yeah I guess I'm lucky it didn't happen sooner. But thanks again man, super helpful.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright cool. That's great to hear. You should be able to get a quick $2,500 out of it I would hope. That car is worth a quick $5k with a running motor. So you see the math. Good luck man and let us know what you do.